Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2015, 15:15   #46

Re: Traveled to 9 countries without a passport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
If you can't make it in the US of A, you are either stupid or lazy.

I'm both
Old 03-04-2015, 15:16   #47

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Seriously? No harm, no foul? What about being an active participant in the prostitution of women and possibly (most likely) children?!!!!!!!! Human trafficking and sexual slave labor? He most likely earned more than the “Hot Babes” earned.
Can’t believe we’re on post #44 and not one person has yet to object to this kind of behavior. I am not sure what the laws are there, regarding prostitution, sexual slave labor, or child abuse, but I don’t find anything admirable from this. Brave? Ummm no, he is probably viewed as a monster in the eyes of those very women and children he helped to exploit. Given his past he clearly has no empathy for his own children and believes he has no personnel responsibility to his community
Old 03-04-2015, 16:11   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
Seriously? No harm, no foul? What about being an active participant in the prostitution of women and possibly (most likely) children?!!!!!!!! Human trafficking and sexual slave labor? He most likely earned more than the “Hot Babes” earned.
Can’t believe we’re on post #44 and not one person has yet to object to this kind of behavior. I am not sure what the laws are there, regarding prostitution, sexual slave labor, or child abuse, but I don’t find anything admirable from this. Brave? Ummm no, he is probably viewed as a monster in the eyes of those very women and children he helped to exploit. Given his past he clearly has no empathy for his own children and believes he has no personnel responsibility to his community
My dear lady

My bil simply engage in the oldest professional, in Thailand it's highly regulated, therefore it doesn't make it right tho, I do agree with u against sex slave and underage kids.

I don't blame the people for trying to survive. It's sad any way u look at it. However sex for sell will be here till the end of mankind.

I myself am married for 24 long years. Seems like to me I'm paying for it in one way or another.

On a lighter note: what we may perceive as wrong is totally normal for others. I love my dog to death, I wouldn't eat him but given a certain situations, like being maroon on an island and to feed my kids, fido will be going to dog heaven in a heart beat.
Old 03-04-2015, 16:23   #49
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

gadagirl,
if you really want to help an exploited sex-trade worker, BUY OUT HIS/HER CONTRACT. It's done all the time, coupla grand and you should be able to buy out most teens working in Thailand. Of course, you may have to also adopt them and bring them to America to keep them out of the trade, but it can be done, fairly easily.

Morales and ethics are easy. Making a real change? Requires action and commitment. And of course, prioritizing all the other problems, so you can decide which one to commit to.

As far as I know, no one has yet tried to start a charity that raises funds here in the US, for the purpose of buying out sex-worker contracts and then bringing them into good US adoptive homes. There's a worthy task. (Although, you know, they'll only be replaced in short order, unless you can change Thai society.)
Old 03-04-2015, 17:03   #50

I can agree with both of you in that it's engrained into their society and has been for thousands of years. Also agree that it's not a short order in trying to change or save people. However, being an American citizen, and /or just having empathy for humans, and having enough morale fortitude to avoid that aspect of their culture, let alone profit from from it, would be a good place to start. No customers, no business. Just because it has been the practice for thousands of years does not make it acceptable to me. Perhaps to you it is.
Old 03-04-2015, 17:05   #51

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
What do we call someone who knowingly and willingly--and especially, repeatedly--violates the law? A criminal. Plain and simple. No other word for it.
To put someone who crosses borders without papers in the same category as people who commit harmful crimes is ridiculous.

Quote:
You can try to rationalize it any way that you want, but when you break the law you are a criminal. Just because you don't agree with the law, or think you should not have to follow that particular law, doesn't change the fact that you are still violating the law.
In that case then the word criminal is fairly useless in practice because virtually _everyone_ is a "criminal" as with all the thousands of laws it's nearly impossible not to have violated one of them at one time or another.
Old 03-04-2015, 17:27   #52

100 Countries and Their Prostitution Policies - Legal Prostitution - ProCon.org
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Thailand
https://digital.lib.washington.edu/d...pdf?sequence=1
HumanTrafficking.org | Thailand

It seems that prostitution is illegal (clearly not enforced) in Thailand and is a felony for a US citizen to participate in it.
Old 03-04-2015, 17:48   #53

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

OK, yes the USA is best and Canada is for weirdo drunk politicians, I think this is firmly established and just a plain fact that (if it were still around) Encyclopedia Britannica would no doubt have large section on... so moving right along....
Old 03-04-2015, 17:53   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
OK, yes the USA is best and Canada is for weirdo drunk politicians, I think this is firmly established and just a plain fact that (if it were still around) Encyclopedia Britannica would no doubt have large section on... so moving right along....
An uncomfortable conversation for you to have?
Old 03-04-2015, 18:02   #55

Back to earth.

My original posting is about traveling to 9 countries with out a passport....

I would like to hear stories where people just docked right in and wonder the streets of a foreign land. Went un notice and onto a another country.

The only country that I have visited without a passport was in Mexico. Getting into Mexico is a breeze, getting back to the states was a whole new ordeal. I was finger printed, held in secondary for hours till my identity was confirmed.

I once tried to enter Canada from Seattle, I was freaken deny due to the fact that I had a dui in 1983.... Wtf..... Apparently in Canada, you must be whistle clean to enter. There goes my plan of retiring in Canada when I'm old and gray just for the free health care.

So some day I will sail into Canada and sneak along shore and head directly to the pharmacy for my free prescription drugs refills.
Old 03-04-2015, 18:03   #56

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Let's recap: BIL

- skipped out on $5700 of child support, presumably leaving the ex to foot the bill,

- couldn't get passport, presumably because of contempt of court for above,

- traveled anyway, without passport and thus risking problems for self and skipper,

- sneaked across international borders and involved others in doing so, risking their freedom/wealth,

- lived off of the generosity of others for food, bed, and cash,

- worked in a brothel finding johns for enslaved women (yes, that is what they are),

- and finally cost the Hong Kong government to send him home.

And the OP worships him for this? Let's be clear: he IS a criminal (several times over) and a parasite. He is exactly the kind of louse that wise skippers have nothing to do with. I have been misled in the past and wound up paying for food/airline ticket, which is a lot of the reason I mostly single-hand.

If he had paid his child support, obtained a passport, and worked (either before or during his travels) to be self-sufficient, neither breaking laws nor burdening others, THEN I might respect him for his adventure.

It will be interesting to know how long it will take to outstay his welcome...

Greg
Old 03-04-2015, 18:14   #57

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mai-tide View Post
The American logo work hard and be what you wanna be

Bullcrap.....

I worked 30 years of my life, save money and invest into money market..... Only to hear how the guys on wall st makes millions over night with inside trading. Shady deals between lobbiest and the people we voted in office for.

Sure we see top stories how some senator got caught, has anyone ever thought about the ones that don't get caught.

America is built on lies and deceit. Pass that on to your kids. However I'm sad to say America is by far the best country than any other country that I know of....

God didn't bless America, he only blessed the politician and the one percent of the one percent.

Yes we are the land of opportunity, that's if you get enough people to believe your lies and vote for you.

I'm just gonna continue to conform to society standard and wait to die. I feel sorry for my children and the generations to come......

My only false hope I have left is for extraterrestrial aliens to invade us and we all will have one common bond then.....

Wow, you are one bitter dude. Are you looking for guarantees? Are you looking for a world where there is no risk/benefit? Oh, I know, you want to take all the risks without anything bad happening to you.

You look to these successful people and you are jealous. Yes, there are a few folks who scam the system and are not ethical. Why focus on all those ********? They will exist in ANY system. Do you think those in the highest levels of the Soviet Union were all about the working man? The Nomenklatura, what with their huge dachas in the forests surrounding Moscow they held all the power and you can bet THAT 1% didn't make sure all the great unwashed got what they needed.

Waiting for those who have the all the power/money to give it to you is a sign of a serious case of naiveté. The admiral and I just sold our house. Even this far out from the crash the prices have NOT recovered. We took a bath. And so it goes. I am blessed with the outlook of a realist. I have reasonable health and am blessed with a 32 year marriage to a woman who, for some reason, loves me. We are not rich in material things. But we are rich in our lives.

You, sir, are a WHINER.
Old 03-04-2015, 18:40   #58

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:

A note on Thailand and the sex trade business.... from our experience...

My not-yet-then wife joined me in Khon Ken, Thailand, back in '02 to '04. My {don't ask about it} job had me frequently up country and out of town for a few days at a time. It was the sex-trade girls at the local club that watched over my wife (the only blonde, western woman in town), made sure the drunkards were warned off (or sent the bouncers over to handle things) and at the end of the evening brought over a trustworthy Tuk-Tuk driver to get my wife safely home.

All that easily arranged because my wife simply paid the bar fine* - or "bought" - a girl for the night (600 Baht, or roughly 15 USD at the time), just as would any male customer.

The girl of the night got to practice her English; my wife got to learn some Thai. But more importantly for my wife: it was somebody to share the table, to share a few drinks, somebody with whom to chat... someplace for her to have a safe evening. Heck, sometimes my wife would "buy" two or three girls... and they'd get up a game of darts, or play UNO, or anything, really, just to have a giggle and a bit of fun.

And when we finally left for good, as a big "Thank You", I signed over the ownership papers for my 125 CC Yamaha motorbike to my wife's "favorite" female sex worker.

Now everyone/anyone: please feel free to condemn my wife for exploiting the sex workers of Thailand.

*For those who didn't know: The bar fine goes to help pay off the girl's debt, or reimburse whoever bought the girl's contract, with some being the club's just profits. And, of course, the girls earn a percentage from each over-priced "ladies drink" a customer might purchase.
Old 03-04-2015, 19:09   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post
A note on Thailand and the sex trade business.... from our experience...

My not-yet-then wife joined me in Khon Ken, Thailand, back in '02 to '04. My {don't ask about it} job had me frequently up country and out of town for a few days at a time. It was the sex-trade girls at the local club that watched over my wife (the only blonde, western woman in town), made sure the drunkards were warned off (or sent the bouncers over to handle things) and at the end of the evening brought over a trustworthy Tuk-Tuk driver to get my wife safely home.

All that easily arranged because my wife simply paid the bar fine* - or "bought" - a girl for the night (600 Baht, or roughly 15 USD at the time), just as would any male customer.

The girl of the night got to practice her English; my wife got to learn some Thai. But more importantly for my wife: it was somebody to share the table, to share a few drinks, somebody with whom to chat... someplace for her to have a safe evening. Heck, sometimes my wife would "buy" two or three girls... and they'd get up a game of darts, or play UNO, or anything, really, just to have a giggle and a bit of fun.

And when we finally left for good, as a big "Thank You", I signed over the ownership papers for my 125 CC Yamaha motorbike to my wife's "favorite" female sex worker.

Now everyone/anyone: please feel free to condemn my wife for exploiting the sex workers of Thailand.

*For those who didn't know: The bar fine goes to help pay off the girl's debt, or reimburse whoever bought the girl's contract, with some being the club's just profits. And, of course, the girls earn a percentage from each over-priced "ladies drink" a customer might purchase.
Not at all condemning you or your wife. Instead of ####*** them you actually paid a respect toward them and participated in their liberation. They respectfully played guardianship to your wife and taught her a new language. In my mind that is the most empathetic, heart warming way to play the "standing" game, because instead of demeaning or abusing a person you actually enriched many. Thank You!!!!
Old 03-04-2015, 21:05   #60

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Not at all condemning you or your wife. Instead of ####*** them you actually paid a respect toward them and participated in their liberation. They respectfully played guardianship to your wife and taught her a new language. In my mind that is the most empathetic, heart warming way to play the "standing" game, because instead of demeaning or abusing a person you actually enriched many. Thank You!!!!
Okay.

But.....

You DID say: "Seriously? No harm, no foul? What about being an active participant in the prostitution of women and possibly (most likely) children?!!!!!!!! Human trafficking and sexual slave labor? "

See, by that reasoning my wife participated - because after all: no customers = no business. Or profits. So she did participate in what many westerners call sex slavery. And I never mentioned the age of the "girls". I DID, however, mention that my wife bought them for the night.

That she did/did-not have sex with the girls is academic; my wife bought them for the night; they were for sale. It's a really tricky subject, this sex slavery thing.

Anyway....
My wife had a valid passport!!!
Always WITH an up-to-date visa!!
Closed Thread