Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2015, 07:48   #31

Boat: Soverel 30
Re: Traveled to 9 countries without a passport

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
=== Currently he is staying with me and have plans on writing a book about his adventure. (Don't worry for all you folks, there gonna be several chapters about his time working in the brothels ===

I wonder - is he paying rent? Is he working? How long are you going to let him live off your largesse before you deport him from your home? And if he doesn't want to leave, then what? His mere presence in your house is tantamount to a lease in some parts of the US. Good luck evicting him.

I agree that many responses have been a bit harsh. He is risking himself and little else. Yeah, he owes almost 6K to his ex-wife and children. I wonder how they feel about it?

Hows that old song go?

"Hallelujah, I'm a bum.
Hallelujah, bum again.
Hallelujah give me a hand out,
to revive me again".
I think the song by Arlo goes, I am changing my name to chrysler....

To the OP, make sure the bil is aware of provisions of fifth ammendment prior to his penning a confession.

Sent from my HUAWEI-M931 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 03-04-2015, 08:59   #32

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

There really is nothing to keep you from walking across most borders. I think the US border with Mexico is probably one of the major exceptions outside of NK. I bet you could walk from Canada to Chile. The issue is legality and being respectful of another countries laws.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:25   #33

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
There really is nothing to keep you from walking across most borders. I think the US border with Mexico is probably one of the major exceptions outside of NK. I bet you could walk from Canada to Chile. The issue is legality and being respectful of another countries laws.
True. I'm certainly not saying border hopping should be encouraged, but there is a larger story here. Seems to me this is a small part of the adventure this fellow went on. Looking beyond the no-passport issue, it seems to me to be a story of someone living outside the defined path most of us are locked into.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:34   #34

Boat: Transworld Formosa 41

Based on the number of illegal immigrants that have crossed the US border coming IN of late, I'm surprised anyone bothers to ship anyone anywhere these days.

Then again, there is still such a thing as "pirate" - both kinds. The kinds that are evil and kill, maime, rape, rob... and the kind that "skirt the law" in any way they can until one day karma (or a local cop) catches on to them.

I don't see this story ending well.

If you survive today, tomorrow will be better.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:53   #35

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Self incriminating story of a dead-beat dad ftw!

Next up, his bil tells us how to get free clothes by going to the mall and putting clothes on under your clothes and sneaking out! Or how to get free grapes by going to the grocery store and eating them while pretending to shop! Maybe how to see a movie for free by convincing a stranger to open the fire door for you.

I'm glad that your bil received kindness from another country and they helped him get home. Personally, I'd rather they made him work in a sweat shop for his plane ticket home.

Ultimately who will pay for his adventure? The rest of us who actually jump threw the hoops and pay the fees.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:20   #36

Boat: 1977 Clipper Marine 32'

Borders are made by governments. Lets see here, you have a lot of people to control, you have a lot of resources to exploit, you don't want anyone else to get your spoils. Set up a border. You can't come in, you can't get my stuff, you can't threaten my power. I don't need borders, the government needs borders. If it weren't for the people down south coming up here working, the likes of that wealthy, skinny hotel heiress would be broke, most of the sheep farmers and vegetable farmers would have to find another way to get rich. The labor costs would be too high. I don't think people who cross borders do much harm. Mostly good and generally don't hurt anyone more than the people in the countries they come into do. Seems like this guy had a great time and didn't do much harm. You wealthy folks can sit inside your borders and gripe about the poor coming in and maybe threating your wealth, but that seems to be about the only thing you are worried about as far as borders go. Maybe less borders, less fighting over resources, less war, less poor people getting killed protecting the rich guys stuff. IMHO.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:26   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Anyone who travels without a passport is not a criminal. It's like saying someone who doesn't believe in god is a criminal, or someone who doesn't eat meat is a criminal.
Oh come on! That's just complete nonsense.

This is really simple. Almost every country in the world has laws that say you must follow certain procedures when you enter their nation. That includes having a passport and presenting it to the proper authorities. When you enter their nation without following their procedures you have violated their laws. What do we call someone who knowingly and willingly--and especially, repeatedly--violates the law? A criminal. Plain and simple. No other word for it.

You can try to rationalize it any way that you want, but when you break the law you are a criminal. Just because you don't agree with the law, or think you should not have to follow that particular law, doesn't change the fact that you are still violating the law.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:35   #38
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Agree with Denverd:
I have been traveling the world for over 40 years and had lots of fun.
Wasn't that hard to take a job on cargo ships and doing in legally while working and making money. Or getting a sailboat and bumming around the Caribe while living on rice and beans as well as cheap rum.
One of the benefits to the above is that you don't have to look over your shoulder and risk being deported and / or jail.
Fairly easy to do it all legally, it just takes a bit of work now and then.
If you are lazy and iresponsible, then that is a different story.
Nothing to brag about on a sailor's forum or in a book anyways.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:41   #39
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"What do we call someone who knowingly and willingly--and especially, repeatedly--violates the law? A criminal. Plain and simple. No other word for it."

And here I was gonna say, thinking of Mssrs. Nixon and Clinton and not at all commenting about any members of the alleged Chicago Democratic Mob including the late Mr. Kennedy, junior or senior...

" Mister President".

Old 03-04-2015, 12:58   #40
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Maybeless borders, less fighting over resources, less war, less poor people getting killed protecting the rich guys stuff. IMHO."

Five thousand years of recorded history, and geo-politics, and sovereign territories, and no one's ever come up with this thought yet. Gee...That's incredible.
Old 03-04-2015, 13:16   #41

John Lennon song "imagine"

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in

I guess John and I here are the only 2 people with the same vision.

At the end of the day, we all are humans, I too bleed red.

Society today dictates to us how we are suppose to live and conform to their needs.
I have been to many countries and I have to say that the good old USA is thee best place on earth to live for now. However most don't realize how the government is controlling us. All these rules and laws. The rich gets richer. In the end, it's the politician who are the true brilliant criminals here. I'm just an ant, like 99% of you guys. Work work to pay my taxes and bills. While our politicians wine and dine five stars meals on capital hill. I was once naive and taught at a very young age of 6, that our government is here for us, (by the people and for the people) grooms and brainwashed til I was able to see in my own eyes that the world ain't right. I was blind, now I call it as how I see it.

What can I do, I'm just merely a disposable ant. Therefore I always root for the underdogs and have no sympathy for our corrupt government around the world. I have lost all hope and faith in our so called government for the people by the people.

So for my bil to take a leap of faith into uncharted waters penniless. Kudos for him. Something that I wished happened to me.

Bottom line. I'm ashamed to be an ant in this grand schemes of our government.

I would like to hear back from a non ant please......
Old 03-04-2015, 14:06   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Oh come on! That's just complete nonsense.

This is really simple. Almost every country in the world has laws that say you must follow certain procedures when you enter their nation. That includes having a passport and presenting it to the proper authorities. When you enter their nation without following their procedures you have violated their laws. What do we call someone who knowingly and willingly--and especially, repeatedly--violates the law? A criminal. Plain and simple. No other word for it.

You can try to rationalize it any way that you want, but when you break the law you are a criminal. Just because you don't agree with the law, or think you should not have to follow that particular law, doesn't change the fact that you are still violating the law.
Day 2 following the Haiti earthquake I dropped into Haiti without a passport. We flew into Jakmel airport. No customs u r border agents around. Government officers including police had fled so there was no civil order. Did I break the law flying in without a visa or being processed by a Government official. I would do it again without hesitation.
Old 03-04-2015, 14:10   #43

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mai-tide View Post
John Lennon song "imagine"

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in

I guess John and I here are the only 2 people with the same vision.

At the end of the day, we all are humans, I too bleed red.

Society today dictates to us how we are suppose to live and conform to their needs.
I have been to many countries and I have to say that the good old USA is thee best place on earth to live for now. However most don't realize how the government is controlling us. All these rules and laws. The rich gets richer. In the end, it's the politician who are the true brilliant criminals here. I'm just an ant, like 99% of you guys. Work work to pay my taxes and bills. While our politicians wine and dine five stars meals on capital hill. I was once naive and taught at a very young age of 6, that our government is here for us, (by the people and for the people) grooms and brainwashed til I was able to see in my own eyes that the world ain't right. I was blind, now I call it as how I see it.

What can I do, I'm just merely a disposable ant. Therefore I always root for the underdogs and have no sympathy for our corrupt government around the world. I have lost all hope and faith in our so called government for the people by the people.

So for my bil to take a leap of faith into uncharted waters penniless. Kudos for him. Something that I wished happened to me.

Bottom line. I'm ashamed to be an ant in this grand schemes of our government.

I would like to hear back from a non ant please......
What a defeatist attitude. Look, read a history book or 2 on the subject. The millionaires of the past don't exist anymore. Financial empires come and go, much like territorial empires do. If folks gave up in the 1890s, we'd all be kowtowing to the Robber Barons and the Railroad Magnates. What happened to the railroad empires and the monopoly? Cars & planes.

Ma Bell supposedly had a monopoly on telephones. Landlines, pfft.

Boundaries exist between one human and another. That isn't a bad thing, otherwise, we'd all be hosting our deadbeat bils on our respective couches. Boundaries on a larger scale secure folks from those who would come and take what we have worked hard for - much like a whole country of couch surfers who would rather bum around and mooch off others rather than get a job and pay their way.

There are more millionaires than ever. If you check their last names, you would find that their recent ancestors were likely recent immigrants who busted their humps so their children could have the American dream (immigrants are the backbone of this country but we need sane policies on immigration. Sadly, neither political party is willing or able to do that). Will the children of luxury be able to maintain the family fortune? If the past is any indicator, no. But that means there is more room at the top. All you gotta do is work your ass off and be in the right place at the right time. Sitting on a couch watching reruns could NEVER be that place.
Old 03-04-2015, 14:49   #44

The American logo work hard and be what you wanna be

Bullcrap.....

I worked 30 years of my life, save money and invest into money market..... Only to hear how the guys on wall st makes millions over night with inside trading. Shady deals between lobbiest and the people we voted in office for.

Sure we see top stories how some senator got caught, has anyone ever thought about the ones that don't get caught.

America is built on lies and deceit. Pass that on to your kids. However I'm sad to say America is by far the best country than any other country that I know of....

God didn't bless America, he only blessed the politician and the one percent of the one percent.

Yes we are the land of opportunity, that's if you get enough people to believe your lies and vote for you.

I'm just gonna continue to conform to society standard and wait to die. I feel sorry for my children and the generations to come......

My only false hope I have left is for extraterrestrial aliens to invade us and we all will have one common bond then.....
Old 03-04-2015, 15:10   #45
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

If you can't make it in the US of A, you are either stupid or lazy.