Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2015, 14:54   #1

Transporting mast on trailer.

I have bought a 13 m long mast in Germany (got a bargain price on Ebay) and I have to get it to Latvia. I have a 7 m long boat trailer. Plan is to make strong scaffolding for mast on the trailer and extend one end over the tow car and other end over the back of the trailer. Trailer and car is about 11 meters long so about 1 meter of mast is overhanging at each end. I'm wondering is this road legal with category B driving license? Especially in Germany since I have heard their police is very strict about traffic rule violations.
Mulkari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 15:03   #2

Re: Transporting mast on trailer.

I don't know, but remember, any extension over the car (forward of the hitch) will rotate out to the side when you turn!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 17:10   #3

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

If my math is right, 7m trailer, 1m hanging off the back, that makes 8m. that leaves 5 m projecting over the vehicle. That will bounce so bad with every bump that you will probably damage your roof and mast. You will be supporting only 60% of the mast on the trailer
You wont be able to cradle or strap to the tow vehicle because as cheechako mentioned the car and trailer turn independent of each other.
In terms of legality here in alberta you can project no more than 4 feet past your lights. Contact local transportation department for any country you are going through.
I haul trailers more often than not and would strongly recommend either a bigger trailer, flat deck if possible, or contract it to a shipping company. If you aren't in a rush, you can usually get a decent deal when they need to fill a partial load.
Good luck
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 17:28   #4

Boat: Bristol 29

You can also cut it in half and splice it back together afterwards. Many (most?) tall masts are built with a splice that can be taken apart and put back together quite easily. Almost certainly cheaper than paying someone else to haul the mast for you.
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 17:41   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

this is a picture of me transporting a 12m mast on a 9m trailer,it could easily have accommodated a 13m mast safely.
in the uk you can have a 2m overhang at the back if you have a light and reflector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10707.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	103502   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10708.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	103503  

atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 18:12   #6

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

With a 9 m trailer I would say it's doable, with 2 m out front and back. But with a 7 m trailer you still have 4 m unsupported over the car. Any bumps are magnified significantly. It defeats the purpose of getting a great deal if you break it getting it home.:'(
It could be possible to support it with 2x6 running on end down the length, both sides to absorb the shock load, strapped every couple feet and tied down to the trailer as one unit. I would use as long a board as possible, 20 feet if available.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:13   #7

Have the tongue on your trailer extended 2+ meters.
Then, build cradles to suport your mast.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:26   #8

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'

Check the route, make sure there are no sharp dips that would drive the mast into the top of your car.
TomLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:48   #9

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

I'm probably not qualified to advise on the subject. I still can't believe I wasn't pulled over...

Sent from my XT1080 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1433954878207.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	103530  
Old 11-06-2015, 05:35   #10

Ask the German Embassy?
Also consider consulting the Latvian embassy.
SpiritofGlenans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:20   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritofGlenans View Post
Ask the German Embassy?
Also consider consulting the Latvian embassy.
Dept of Transport
Links - Transport

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:50   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
If my math is right, 7m trailer, 1m hanging off the back, that makes 8m. that leaves 5 m projecting over the vehicle. That will bounce so bad with every bump that you will probably damage your roof and mast. You will be supporting only 60% of the mast on the trailer
I think that problem can be mitigated by supporting at least partially the end going over the car by long wooden plank put on edge and bolted to the cradles holding the plank - mast assembly. I have transported 11 m long wooden pole on a shorter trailer in a similar way I want to transport this mast and bouncing wasn't that bad. It was bending up and down on a bumpy road but there was enough clearance to not impact the car roof. If I add extra support beam protruding from the trailer over the car it should be stable enough to not break or impact the car.

Quote:
I haul trailers more often than not and would strongly recommend either a bigger trailer, flat deck if possible, or contract it to a shipping company. If you aren't in a rush, you can usually get a decent deal when they need to fill a partial load.
I have called the shipping companies and problem is the place where mast is located is far from usual truck routes. If till the end of June I won't be able to get good shipping deal I will have to transport it myself.

Quote:
I don't know, but remember, any extension over the car (forward of the hitch) will rotate out to the side when you turn!
Most of the trip would happen on highways avoiding cities with tight turns and rush hour traffic so that shouldn't be big problem.

Quote:
Dept of Transport
Links - Transport
Thanks, I will email them about legality of this whole affair.
Mulkari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast