Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2007, 14:41   #1

Boat: 1974 Columbia 41
Transfer of Title with USCG

Hey everyone, Ive been very lazy recently and havent transfered the title of my boat over with the USCG. The paperwork I have is the completed and notorized bill of sale (CG-1340), application for initial issue, exchange, or replacement of certificate of documentandion (CG-1258), and certificate of documentation (CG-1270). As far as I know, I just send in the notorized CG-1340 with the application for exchange, and the old certificate of doc for them to destroy along with money. Is there anything else I need? Any help would be appreciated.
stoupidmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 07:57   #2

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
There is another form they require IF the boat is financed. It's just a concurrence / recording of the lien.

If no lien I think you're all set. Send it all to that sleepy little town on West Virginia....

Old 27-12-2007, 10:20   #3
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
There is also the form you fill out for payment if you are doing it via Credit Card. ALL this information is easily available: http://www .uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/nvdc.htm or, should you find yourself without this link - Google Search parameters: Coast Guard Documentation ... I think the first 4 responses are all to that site.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 13:17   #4

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
Previous Owner

If the previous owner had a lean or mortgage on the vessel you may have to prove that it has been discharged before the NVDC will transfer ownership.

Jack
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 15:17   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
If the previous owner had a lean or mortgage on the vessel you may have to prove that it has been discharged before the NVDC will transfer ownership.
Actually you need the lien holder to file a release. You can't prove a lien is released. If it has not been filed your paperwork will be returned to you.

One little problem you have when you don't file the paperwork ASAP is in all reality you don't own the boat until the USCG says so. The boat is still owned by the PO. until you own it. This can be a source of a lot of problems. You bill of sale is not a title nor does it prove you own it.

When you buy a boat always buy a title history before you close. That will set you up so you know if the PO has a lien on the boat and that they actually do own it. Just a minor detail that can really get you in trouble.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 09:41   #6

Boat: Traditional wood (very old)
Is there a penalty for lapses if the PO files it as no longer his?
I am not sure about where I will doc or the name so should I process anyway to avoid a lapse in documentation? The vessel is on the hard so no need for papers currently.
Freeranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 12:22   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Is there a penalty for lapses if the PO files it as no longer his?
Yup It's not a "penalty" it's a "fee".

I would redocument pay the fee one time plus the transfer fee. It will help if you have at least the last valid certificate. After that you just fill in the form they send each year and mail it back. You get a new certificate each year. Only the original document is considered valid.

You can also call the USCG Documentation center in Falling Waters, WV. Hold on to your seat. You will find them friendly and helpful with questiona. They get paid regualr and they are happy and efficient.

The location of your home port is virtually meaningless so long it is a place name in the US and you slap it on the boat per the lettering requirements. I would decide on the name and port so you can get that part free. If you later just change the name and port you have to pay (and you have to actually re letter the boat). It's also fine to just keep it the way it is if you like, but you must transfer title after it has been reinstated. This is what proves you own the boat!

Here is the FAQ link:

USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, FAQ Page

If it we me and I had not paid for the boat, I would insist the prior owner reinstate and deliver to you a current document (make them pay the fees). Then you get a USCG Bill of Sale and make three original copiess - notarized. You can then mail one of those and the original current document back to West Virginia with the fee (about $90.00). Most sales require the delivery of a valid title. It appears you don't have one unless it was registered with a state. In that case you unregister it firrst and then redocument it.
Old 24-02-2009, 13:31   #8

Boat: Traditional wood (very old)
Thanks Paul,
This is not a deal I question at all ( a good mate, not a pirate) and the price is nominal anyhow. Thanks for all the good info though.
I just called Falling Waters and they informed me there is no charge in lapses of transfer on CG 1258 or even on doc renewal other than the late $5.
penalty.
Current cost is $84.00 for transfer plus $8.00 per page for bill of sale.
Any proper notarized bill of sale is accepted providing the same info is gathered as per CG 1340.
I have purchased and sold previously but I didn't recall the phone #.
It doesn't seem to appear on the site. I found it on the back of the Doc. it's 304 271 2400
I roger you on the amazing crew at the doc center.
Especially considering their task and how small their operation.
I want to also recognize you Paul and say what a great site this is.
Thanks for the help.
Will
Freeranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 14:42   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I roger you on the amazing crew at the doc center.
They didn't used to be that way 5 years ago. Used to take 12 weeks. The great Senator Byrd takes care of some things better than other senators. This would be one of the many he does.