Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2013, 18:20   #1

To galapagos without a zarpe?

What happen if checking in to galapagos without a zarpe, from Panama? Picky?
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 18:40   #2

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Re: To galapagos without a zarpe?

They are picky. But they are also corrupt. Have you had experience with bribes, in such a way that you don't insult anyone and don't get yourself in more trouble?

They also want a fumigation certificate from your last port. Costs $20 in Panama. If you don't have it, it will cost $70 in Galapagos.

They are also open to "inducements" in Panama. I organised our zarpe while still in Colon prior to going thru the canal and prior to the arrival of an additional crew member. So our zarpe had 4 people on the crewlist even though there were only 3 onboard and the 4th had not even arrived in Panama. Just did it to save time on the Panama City side.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 18:45   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
They are picky. But they are also corrupt. Have you had experience with bribes, in such a way that you don't insult anyone and don't get yourself in more trouble?

They also want a fumigation certificate from your last port. Costs $20 in Panama. If you don't have it, it will cost $70 in Galapagos.

They are also open to "inducements" in Panama. I organised our zarpe while still in Colon prior to going thru the canal and prior to the arrival of an additional crew member. So our zarpe had 4 people on the crewlist even though there were only 3 onboard and the 4th had not even arrived in Panama. Just did it to save time on the Panama City side.
We got our canal transit time so fast (2 days) so I forgot to check out from shelter bay. Went the other day to colon (cristobal) and tried to check out but he refused and said I needed to go to shelter bay the next day. So...I don't wanna sit on the bus again and then taxi to shelter bay.

What are the fines if checking out and get the zarpe in panama city if not having a check out from colon?
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 18:53   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Sure its inconvenient to go back over and check out, but for me it would be worth it to know I am done with it and dont have certain hassles (to some degree) waiting for me when Im tired at the end of a crossing.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 18:58   #5

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

I don't know what the fines are. The word in Spanish for "fine" is "multa". Try to get the zarpe in Panama City, along with your fumigation as well. Plead ignorance, offer to pay a "multa" and ask what the multa is. Obviously the multa is cash with no receipt. Be subtle, not in a crowded office, pay attention to the body language and the facial expressions, etc. If he is not receptive, don't push it.

If you don't feel confident with that, go back to Shelter Bay.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 04:59   #6
Marine Service Provider

I just got zarpe when I arrived in wreck bay, it took 3 days, they didn't care about fumigation. They gave us some spray boms to use. It was well worth the zarpe, we spent a month exploring. Total cost was $1000 approx
gunnado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 05:05   #7
Marine Service Provider

It's late! I just remembered that you will need the zarpe for clearing out. Get the autograph which is what was taking about. It took me three days to clear out of Isabella with the correct paper work. So you day going to shelter bay is actually not that bad compared to what you might get.
gunnado is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Galapagos