Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 23-03-2009, 05:29   #16

More like dead in the water

Old 23-03-2009, 21:52   #17
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'
From the line in the "Unforgiven" I don't want to be killed for lack of shootin' back.

Old 24-03-2009, 00:29   #18

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Its was meant to be a funny reference to your pun (intended or not)....

But a gag that needs to be explained ain't a very good gag!

Oh well, I'll fire my writers

Ooops! Another shooting gag..........
Hehehe. "Fire the writers!" Good one there.
Old 24-03-2009, 00:36   #19
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Before thinking about arming with whatever kind of defensive weapon, you should make a security plan. What do you do when you wake up at night at the sound of some scumbags kicking in your companion way doors? What if you hear them take your dinghy? write down every scenario and decide what you would allow them to get away with and what not... where you draw the line and what to do if that line is crossed. This prevents acting while overwhelmed with emotion because you just have that new dinghy etc.

For us: let them take the dinghy if it's night and I don't know what I'll face when confronting them. I'll trigger the alarm and hope they flee. Also, I wouldn't shoot someone for the dinghy. But if they are kicking in the door, I will use that time to get the Mossberg out, trigger the alarm, curse and warn a lot but believe me, there won't be much left of the first body-part showing through the companion way. That's the line for us. No way I will allow them to kill or rape us, anyone sensible should try to avoid that. Delaying their entry is key as this will separate thieves from assaulters and buy you time to prepare.

About Customs: we always declare and never had any trouble, not even sealing the gun locker. When the Colombian coastguard boarded us while underway, they didn't even bother to look in the gun locker. We declared it 5 times in Curacao, where they are supposed to keep it in care for the duration of your stay but I only once got a question about it and when I told them (in their office) it was safe in the locker, it was fine. In many countries here a shotgun is considered something similar to a machete. A handgun or rifle is considered very differently and will be taken in much more often.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 24-03-2009, 01:10   #20

Wow. Thanks Nick. That was a very insightful post and I greatly appreciate it. No matter how many times a subject has been discussed, there is always something constructive and helpful to be added.

I still want to get more acquainted with everybody's thoughts on the subject. I'm also reading the other posts. This has always been something that has bothered and worried me.

You can try and kick down the door to my house all you want, and it isn't coming down. The door of a boat cabin is a whole other story.
Old 24-03-2009, 01:15   #21

I must add, this is not only true when cruising afar. You can encounter a terrible lowlife while anchored in some unknown country. But the same kind of idiot can be had jumping the fence at the local marina. So, as for me, I believe in being prepared no matter where you are.
Old 24-03-2009, 02:02   #22
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiteboarder View Post
I still want to get more acquainted with everybody's thoughts on the subject. .
LOL If that started to happen the thread would be closed down.

Put it this way, there are lots vehmently opposed to any idea of gun totin cruisers.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 24-03-2009, 02:55   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Yemen & Lebanon... the sailboat is in Lebenon, the dhow is in Yemen
Boat: 1978 CT48 & 65ft Cargo Dhow
I think looking up old threads is helpful, but I also think starting a new one is good.

The dynamics of the form changes with the participants.

I often won’t post on threads that already have 200 posts....I feel I'd make a redundant or stupid post if I don’t first read all of them...

I think starting a new thread of a previous subject is a good thing.

And….I vote armed.
Old 24-03-2009, 05:46   #24

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
In many countries here a shotgun is considered something similar to a machete. A handgun or rifle is considered very differently and will be taken in much more often.

cheers,
Nick.
Very good point. For those of us that are armed, what do we carry? A 9mm, .45, or .380 would all seem reasonable, maybe even the Desert Eagle .44 if you wanted to stop them from getting away with the dinghy. But an AR-15 would be a little over the top. (except maybe for Miami )

I personally carry a .380 everywhere I go. I may upgrade to a KelTek PF9 soon though. Of course I haven't sailed outCONUS yet. (Navy time doesn't count because then I had two magazines full of SM-2 missiles.)

Thoughts? Flames?
Old 24-03-2009, 06:02   #25
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
LOL If that started to happen the thread would be closed down.

Put it this way, there are lots vehmently opposed to any idea of gun totin cruisers.

Mark
Just a note of explanation that might provide some perspective for our newer members...

Reasoned and polite discussions of the topic of weapons on board are fine here, as are any reasonable topics relating to boating and cruising. This thread is going well, so far. The problems with "gun" threads in the past have come when the discussions devolved into political rants about the right to bear arms, or not, and when the posts became personal attacks.

This subject tends to inflame intense passions in some members, and past threads have had to be shut down due to rules violations. I'm hoping this one can avoid that fate, and set a new standard here.
Old 24-03-2009, 06:05   #26

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by amytom View Post
maybe even the Desert Eagle .44 if you wanted to stop them from getting away with the dinghy.
If you are truly stupid enough to shoot a dingy thief with a Desert Eagle, please try and post afterwards. When forum members reach your island, we'll try to come see you on visitation day...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 24-03-2009, 06:10   #27

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
All depends on location. Keep in mind that he (or she) is the thief. In Florida they have a non-retreat law, even in public places. That means that if I reasonably thought they were armed and coming back around for me I would be justified in "protecting my family". Just have to be careful not to brag about it being a good shot when the officers arrive.

I've always thought that if it was dangerous to be a thief, less people would do it.
Old 24-03-2009, 06:12   #28
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Every country seems to have it's own way of handling the issue of weapons on board. All of the countries we've visited while cruising in the eastern Caribbean asked us if we had firearms or ammunition on the boat. We did not, and so never found out what would have happened next.

I can report that here on Nevis, a husband and wife (ex-pat) who are friends of ours were both arrested and jailed for a week because they had a BB gun sent down from the States, without having applied for an import permit and firearm permit. They are out on EC$100,000 bail right now, awaiting further legal developments. The BB gun wasn't one of those high-powered kind, and was simply intended to discourage monkeys from raiding their garden.

Just an example of how something that one could consider being very innocuous can balloon into a major problem.
Old 24-03-2009, 06:17   #29

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
OH C'mon Hud! EVERYONE knows you should use a paintball gun against monkeys! Makes multi-colored monkeys!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 24-03-2009, 06:19   #30

Boat: deboated
I would suggest not coming near Australia armed as guns are taboo. On arrival back in Brisbane customs inspection never mentioned drugs but arms were. Sniffer dogs spent a great deal of time on board during the inspection looking for them. While arms are common place in some countries they are not in Australia thank goodness.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: