Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2008, 04:52   #1

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
The scary Phone Call

On Saturday I was at Universal with all but one of my kids. (Teenage son that would rather not hang out with the rest of us) Florida Fish and Wildlife came knocking at our door and my son gave them my cell number. I get the call asking if I'm the owner of S/V Doghouse. They then ask if I'm moored just south of Mather's Bridge on Merritt Island; I tell them that I'm just a little further south in the Eau Galliea Yacht Basin. He then tells me the horrible news that it appears my vessel had sunk on Friday night. The only bit out of the water was the top of the mast, they had a swimmer go down and read the name but they weren't able to read the hailing port or the FL numbers on the side. I tell him that there are no FL numbers on the side as it's a documented vessel. He asks me to check on our boat and get back to him. It takes an agonizingly long time to get a hold of the dockmaster at the marina but he informs me that my boat is fine and still tied to the dock. I call back the FL F&W officer and tell him my boats status, he then informs me he learned it was a monohull that had sunk but that ours was the only documented "DogHouse" in the area.
Come Sunday, we had to take the boat out to feel better (I still had a sick feeling in my gut) and we went up to the Mather's Bridge and didn't see any wreckage. We didn't have them open the bridge for us to go through but we didn't see anything.

Anybody know the status of the the other "DogHouse" or see the wreckage?
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 07:23   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Wow!......I think all of us will be checking those hose clamps next time we are on the boat....Glad that it is not you in the doghouse with Fl F&W....what a scare!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 08:12   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Shame on you AmyTom! PDQ's don't sink!
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 08:22   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post
Shame on you AmyTom! PDQ's don't sink!

I know, but because they are the perfect boat they might get stolen. I have the perfect antitheft device though...

the engine latches... As soon as the theif goes into reverse the alarm sounds (THUMP) and that engine is disabled with a lifting line wrapped in the prop.

Old 13-10-2008, 09:35   #5

Boat: R&C, Leopard Catermaran, 47', Rapture
Quote:
Originally Posted by amytom View Post
I know, but because they are the perfect boat they might get stolen. I have the perfect antitheft device though...

the engine latches... As soon as the theif goes into reverse the alarm sounds (THUMP) and that engine is disabled with a lifting line wrapped in the prop.

UHH --- That is what happened when I tried to steal it last week. Thanks for the heads up and I get the line next time first....
shawnbush12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 10:28   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnbush12 View Post
UHH --- That is what happened when I tried to steal it last week. Thanks for the heads up and I get the line next time first....

Inside joke PDQ owners will understand.
Old 15-10-2008, 13:44   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Which I finally solved. Just pour money on it!
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote