1-2 49 34.03%
3-5 13 9.03%
5+ 7 4.86%
Was boarding party armed Yes 54 37.50%
No 12 8.33%
Have seen both 10 6.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2008, 12:33   #61
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Sully,

I am telling you they are using us to practice on. Hopefully they never sneak up on someone sitting next to artillery.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:48   #62

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Sully,

I am telling you they are using us to practice on.
I am sure that is the case since they can be pretty darn sure the slow, blow-boats (statistically any way) hold little threat.

Now, about that 200 clams.............................
Attached Images

Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:53   #63

[quote=Chief Engineer;202523]When an LEO stops you on the road or water.....your attitude directs how the interplay will go.
/quote]

Unfortunately, this is true. It used to be that if you were not abusive or acting inappropriately, it was the law that directed how the interplay would go. I guess that changed when accountability disappeared.
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 19:57   #64
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
True Story of USCG Boardings.

It was a bright, clear, August Day on the Chesapeake.
The winds were light. We had left a Marina in the upper reaches of the Gunpowder River to take a day trip to St Michaels Maryland.
There we were , Mom and Dad, My 19 year old sister and me. My sister was and is still a "looker". No kiddin....she could be Sarah Palins sister.
We were just entering the Chesapeake when a USCG Boston Whaler crew held up a sign that said stop. We-did. They proceeded to check our info/safety stuff.....and we were on our way. We crossed the Bay and just North of Love Point another USCG vessel (a 41 footer) stopped us
same check......We got to the Kent Narrows....U guessed it!!!! Another Boston whaler...with 19-21 year old Coasties....with the same kinda "stop" sign.....Same how do you do etc etc etc.
Finally....with St Michaels in sight, and I am not making this up...another USCG (but they were UscgAux) stopped us.
At this point....Mom had H-A-D IT...to which she said "D----- go below and get some clothes on...or we'll never get there!

The part I left out was that we had a Current Vessel Examination Decal on display.

Semper Paratus
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:32   #65

Boat: C&C 38'
I love a good story. Please post pictures!
Old 07-09-2008, 01:46   #66
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Sailer View Post
I love a good story. Please post pictures!
I also like a good story. Especially involving a Bikini
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:20   #67
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Sully,

I am telling you they are using us to practice on. Hopefully they never sneak up on someone sitting next to artillery.

he he he...

Well, they practiced me right out of $250.

I see it more like a speed trap when it's the locals. Coasties contribute to the greater good. Local cops... they contribute to the local budget and don't even pretend to be concerned with safety on the water. They're just out writing tickets (a few municipalities excepted, like South Beach's patrol)
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:39   #68

Boat: Stevens 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gashmore View Post
French registered Beneteau, 3AM 26 nm SSE of Isla Beata, DR in large following seas. BIG light from astern and a call from a USCG cutter to maintain heading and speed and prepare to be boarded. RIB appears on the Stbd side with 5 heavily armed tightly wound coasties, none over 19. Four attempts to board refusing help from our side. Two finally made it aboard while all but the helmsman trained their M16s on our boat. They relaxed considerably when they found 3 old farts making a delivery to Texas but wiped the boat down from one end to the other with sampling cloths. Besides the regular safety and placard check they examined our log, charts and the GPS track. Told us to maintain our course until instructed and left. The cutter followed us for about 20 minutes and then radioed that we sere free to go. Evidently they took the rags back to an on board lab to check for drugs. Whole episode took about 2 hours.

I would not want that job.
I'm not sure of the waters you were in but the HELL is the USCG doing boarding a foreign-flagged vessel??...is where you were in US navigable waters????
Ok I just checked on Google Earth and you were nowhere NEAR US waters so what in hell are they doing boarding your boat??...if they tried that with me I'd politely remind them that I was a foreign flagged vessel in international waters and they had no right to be boarding me without my express permission AND they expressly did NOT have that permission. If they go ahead and detain me and board the vessel it is regarded as an act of WAR according to international maritime law. Am I wrong in this???
Old 07-09-2008, 04:15   #69
Eternal Member

I believe you are wrong...as there are probably numerous compacts with the Carribean Nations regarding mutual aid.

So if ya got nothing illegal....fugeddaboutit
Old 07-09-2008, 08:43   #70

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
I believe you are wrong...as there are probably numerous compacts with the Carribean Nations regarding mutual aid.

So if ya got nothing illegal....fugeddaboutit
Yup.
Let the Americans spend their money keeping all safe. Another free ride using the good old US of A.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:01   #71

I know the USCG has agreements with the Bahamas. Haiti and the BVI as well as other islands that gives them authority as long as one enforcement officer from that country is aboard.

I did question the fact that we were flying a French flag and about 14 miles outside Haitian waters. OTOH, they had this BIG GUN on the foredeck of the cutter trained on us. Basically Haiti claims a 200nm "Zone of Exclusive Economic Interest". That is primarily to protect fishing rights but it gives the USCG authority to board anybody regardless of nationality and the south side of Hispanola is (or was at the time) a popular drug route.
Gashmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:11   #72
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Yup.
Let the Americans spend their money keeping all safe. Another free ride using the good old US of A.
Yup. Those small Caribbean nations are well known for bullying Nations with large Nuclear powered and armed Navies into doing stuff they can't be bothered to pay for themselves.

Me? I do live in "The Land of the Free".....and I can use my own head without government permission and have no "when & how to take a d#mp" manual onboard to prove it
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:31   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
There we were , Mom and Dad, My 19 year old sister and me. My sister was and is still a "looker". No kiddin....she could be Sarah Palins sister.
What, she's married to an Alaskan state trooper? (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Seriously, that's an amusing story if it's just coincidence, but I would love to see the CG radio logs for that day. And if there's a transmission in there along the lines of "Hey, you guys gotta go take a look at this...", it would start to creep me out just a little bit. You?
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 16:16   #74
Eternal Member

This was back in the late 60's

when vessel radios were the AM not VHF.....So if one unit was talking then they ALL heard the #, Description......

I remember being able to Communicate with Freeport in the Bahamas from Baltimore.

Now...with VHF it seems you can spit farther than you can talk sometimes...but that is a good thing on the Chesterpeake on Weekends with all the "10-4 Goodbuddy, 10 year old morons, or women on the horn making docking reservations. And my Favorite...***** Creak Drawbridge...What time is your 12 o'clock bridge opening, OVER (asterisks added by me....is not a cuss word)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill352 View Post
What, she's married to an Alaskan state trooper? (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Seriously, that's an amusing story if it's just coincidence, but I would love to see the CG radio logs for that day. And if there's a transmission in there along the lines of "Hey, you guys gotta go take a look at this...", it would start to creep me out just a little bit. You?
Old 07-09-2008, 16:38   #75

Location: I live in a small South Dakota town named Springfield.
Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Send a message via Skype™ to nstone812
Thumbs up Professional and on caring

For the first time in 25 years on the great lakes we were boarded by the CG. They were more then just professional they were outstanding. My 2 year old granddaughter was asleep and they did not even wake her up. Hats off to a very good crew! Nelson
nstone812 is offline   Reply With Quote