Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 17:39   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: stuck in cuba

Considering there are so many 1950's US cars equipped with generators in Cuba, maybe they are in need of a new alternator, and the translation just went off the mark.

These days, even the companies that put them in new cars often use the terms interchangeably.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 18:12   #17

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Our experince with Cuba, when we had a REAL problem with our boat. we contacted the USCG by VHF and requested permission to land in Cuba to do the needed repairs. No problem ! They asked if we needed towing to get there ! We said no, and they gave us permission to land and effect repairs! Never had a problem when we returned to our home in Louisiana and cked in ! If we had went to FLA we might of had a problem, but we never have a problem down the Bayou LOL So I guess if yall have a problem, ask and see what happens!! Worked for us ! of course we did have a bilge pump problem !!
Old 12-11-2013, 18:39   #18

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinmike View Post
Nothing money can't solve.
I just flew with a Couple from Canada who visit Cuba frequently. They said you cannot spend US dollars there as Cubans will absolutly not take US currency nor is any debit or credit card accepted there, that is US based. Perhaps they have no way to pay for repairs
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 19:10   #19

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
I just flew with a Couple from Canada who visit Cuba frequently. They you also cannot spend US dollars there as Cubans will absolutly not take US currency nor is any debit or credit card good there that is US based.
You can change US dollars into CUC, they hit you with a fee, but no problem changing dollars out and spending money there. I used to carry Canadian or Euros but right now I just carry dollars when I travel there for work. No plastic works from US banks, that is correct Dulcesuenos, and a huge pain. Have to carry way more cash than I like.

Getting a generator? sheesh. Cuba is not the place you want to be when you want to buy equipment. I'll be very curious to hear about generator shopping. Are you talking to them on a Sat phone? They are not allowed for the typical visitor, prolly want to keep that on the boat.

Hope they have a chance to see Havana some.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 08:37   #20

I'm guessing the generator is running the watermaker? A lot of guessing on my part, but I'd go somewhere else for that level of equipment, like back to Florida, not that far away.
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 10:06   #21

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Stumble has the right idea....

They should contact the US Interest Section in Havana.

Here is their contact information, including emergency after hours phone numbers:

Contact Information | United States Interests Section Havana, Cuba

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba