Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2010, 07:18   #1

Boat: Cooper Prowler 36'
Stern Etiquette?

We are putting new numbers on our 10 metre Prowler (old ones are too small for regs) and are also putting our home port on the stern. Two questions:
1)We have moorage at the government dock on Hornby Island, but we live on Denman Island, just a kilometre away. Do we have to put Hornby Island as our home port?
2) Is it permissible (i.e. - boatingly correct) to put a small graphic on the stern with the name? Casita is the boat and we want to put a small stylized adobe shack on the stern as well.
denmanislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 07:24   #2

If the Prowler is a USCG Documented vessel the hailing port on the stern must match the hailing port on the Certificate of Documentation. The hailing port on the Certificate can be ANY city in the USA. Yes, weird.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 07:37   #3

Boat: Cascade
If you boat is Canadian registered the Gov is only interested in the numbers.
Usually you would put where the boat is.
Yes the name of the boat goes on the transom. Look at all the other boats at your marina.
Old 15-01-2010, 07:40   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Not only ANY city in the US, even made up ones. There's a boat on our pier with a hailing port of "Bight, ME". There is no Bight in Maine...
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 07:54   #5
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
I assume that your boat is "Licensed" in Canada (BC) by your description of using numbers. The requirement for markings of Licensed recreational vessels in Canada are on the Office of Boating Safety site at Transport Canada.

Getting Started - Safe Boating Guide - TP511E - Marine Safety Publications - Marine Safety - Marine Transportation - Transport Canada

Licensing is separate from "Registered" vessels in Canada. Registering a vessel with Transport Canada is "normally" reserved for commercial vessels but there are provisions for recreational vessels to be registered.

Registration of Vessels - Vessel Registration Office - Operations and Environmental Programs - Marine Safety - Marine Transportation - Transport Canada

A licensed vessel is not required to carry either a name or a home port (hailing port) in Canada. You can name a "Licensed" boat anything you want and can specify any home (Hailing) port you like. You can also include graphics on your transom without violating any provisions of the Canada Shipping act.

Registered vessels are required to carry the vessel name and Port of Registry (port the vessel was registered in) For example: if you Registered your boat at the Ship Safety office in Kingston Ontario your boat would have the Port of Registry Kingston ON underneath the name of the vessel on the stern.

A list of the Ports of Registry is on the TC site.

Ports of Registry - Registration of Vessels - Vessel Registration Office - Operations and Environmental Programs - Marine Safety - Marine Transportation - Transport Canada
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 08:12   #6

Sorry your correct I should have said Licenced and not Registered.
Old 15-01-2010, 16:04   #7

Boat: Cooper Prowler 36'
Thanks for the info, all! Will look at the links.

Solitude: Why such a wise ass? FYI- I didn't ask where to put the name. Perhaps you should read the questions before answering.
denmanislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 16:13   #8

Wise ass What??

This was your question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by denmanislander View Post
2) Is it permissible (i.e. - boatingly correct) to put a small graphic on the stern with the name? Casita is the boat and we want to put a small stylized adobe shack on the stern as well.

This was my answer...
Yes the name of the boat goes on the transom. Look at all the other boats at your marina.

I guess that teaches me for trying to help you! Nice one !
Old 15-01-2010, 16:50   #9

Boat: Tartan 27' - 'Odalisque'
Now children - let's all play nice!
Sometimes it is very difficult to figure out where a given poster might be coming from just from a few short words posted on the internet.
Come on now, we're all Canadians, eh? Lets all move on, eh? Where's the beer, eh?

And if you think I am being sarcastic you can "Bight, ME" too!
Now that is funny, eh?
CalebD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 17:36   #10

Boat: Westsail 32
As a Canadian I've always felt we Canadians didn't take ourselves too seriously and had suitably thick skins. Looks like BCers are a bit different though, eh?
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 18:19   #11

Boat: 40' Northstar Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound View Post
As a Canadian I've always felt we Canadians didn't take ourselves too seriously and had suitably thick skins. Looks like BCers are a bit different though, eh?
I was once told by a fellow from Calgary that people from BC are more like Americans because cigarettes are sold in 20 packs here. I don't smoke but the logic is sound.
ahnutts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 18:54   #12

Boat: Lagoon 440 Ainulindale
I think this is a simple misunderstanding.
It looks to me like Denmanislander was asking about adding a graphic "adobe shack" alongside a name that was already on the transom and Solitude read it as adding a graphic that included the name to the transom. It can be read both ways, especially if reading a little too quickly.
Seemingly inadvertant and too fast to quickdraw the sensitivity.
Peace!
Kirk

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Tom Petty
nodee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 20:07   #13
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Baba Booey to y'all!

Now let's see who gets the joke.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 20:56   #14

Boat: Tartan 27' - 'Odalisque'
BabaBooey.com | The offical home of the executive producer of the Howard Stern Show, Gary Dell'Abate.

Doesn't everyone know about 'Baba Booey' except perhaps Canadians and who can blame them? Who listens to or cares about Howard Stern anymore anyways?
I will admit that I do not get 'the joke' though. Remember that jokes don't always translate cultural differences so well. I am actually in NYC and hence practically an Irishman compared to you so please explain it fstbttms.

I've got one for you though: "If a dirty bottom slows you down think about what it does to your boat!". Get it?

Ahnutts! - I'm not sure I get the "20 cigs to a pack" thing as to why BC'ers are more like 'Mericans. I do suspect that some of the 'cash crops' they seem to grow up there might have something to do with it that makes them a little 'trigger happy'.

Best to all and sorry for the hi-jack(s).
CalebD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 21:01   #15
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
I will admit that I do not get 'the joke' though. Remember that jokes don't always translate cultural differences so well. I am actually in NYC and hence practically an Irishman compared to you so please explain it fstbttms
In a thread entitled "Stern Etiquette" I have to explain it?

Clearly you are not a Stern fan and undoubtably googled "Baba Booey" to figure it (or not) out.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote