Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2014, 17:52   #16
Registered User

Join Date: May 2008
Location: daytona beach florida
Boat: csy 37
Posts: 2,844
Images: 1
Re: State registration with CG documentation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
The good news, it usually isn't much. In FL, depending on the size and value of the boat typically $50-$100.
Unless your boat is an antique, 30+ years old. We pay $8 a year for a 37' boat.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
Take two at low eight
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 10:36   #17
Marine Service Provider
 
Tony B's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Presently in Rogersville, Al
Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin
Posts: 695
Re: State Registration with CG Documentation?

I don't mind paying boater taxes. The cost to register my 36' Mainship in Alabama the first time would be $75. Even If I only stay 3 months, that's only $25/Mo. average. If I stayed a year, it would only be $6.25 / mo average.

Many of the members on here use Govt. funded parks whether they are Nat'l, state or Corpse of Engineers parks. Some of us also need to use lock and dams. This also encompasses the maintenance of the integrity of the water and wildlife in the area.

Don't want to pay tax and want less govt? Places like Samalia are always available.
__________________

__________________
Mainship 36 DC - 1986
Retired and Full Time Cruising the Eastern U.S. inland Waterways
www.FreeBoatProjects.com
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 10:43   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 83
Re: State Registration with CG Documentation?

State registration is not required in Massachusetts if the boat has federal documentation. However, you are still required to pay the annual excise tax where she is moored.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
Rick01541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 12:11   #19
Registered User
 
denverd0n's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,953
Images: 6
Re: State registration with CG documentation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Clark H356 View Post
It is illegal to put the State numbers on a documented boat...
No, it is not illegal to put state numbers on a documented boat. No state can require you to do so, according to federal law. They can only require you to display a sticker. But if you WANT to put state numbers on your CG documented boat, there is nothing illegal about it.
__________________
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 14:02   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,880
Re: State registration with CG documentation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
No, it is not illegal to put state numbers on a documented boat. No state can require you to do so, according to federal law. They can only require you to display a sticker. But if you WANT to put state numbers on your CG documented boat, there is nothing illegal about it.
I can't find the source right now but I believe you are wrong.

The reason they don't want state numbers on it is because it implies that it is documented thru the state rather than CG documented.

The sticker is a seperate issue and purely about collecting thier tax money.
__________________
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 19:50   #21
Registered User
 
motaman9's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 151
Re: State Registration with CG Documentation?

From USCG.MIL

IS A DOCUMENTED VESSEL EXEMPT FROM STATE JURISDICTION?
No, all documented vessels must comply with the laws of the state in which they are operated. The vessel's document must be shown to state law enforcement personnel upon their demand. States may require documented vessels to be registered (but not numbered) and to display state decals showing that they have complied with state requirements.

You do not display state registration numbers on a USCG documented vessel


Sailing somewhere
__________________
motaman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 06:48   #22
Registered User
 
denverd0n's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,953
Images: 6
Re: State registration with CG documentation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I can't find the source right now but I believe you are wrong.
You're welcome to keep searching, but I am quite certain that you will never find any rule, regulation, or law that says that you are not permitted to display state registration numbers on a CG documented vessel, because no such rule, regulation, or law exists.

Again, the state cannot REQUIRE you to display numbers. The CG regulations are quite clear on that. And that is the only thing that the CG regulations say about state registration numbers. That is, of course, completely different from saying that you are not ALLOWED to display numbers.
__________________
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 09:47   #23
Registered User
 
motaman9's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 151
Re: State Registration with CG Documentation?

Documented vessels
Federal regulations prohibit the display of the WN registration number on documented vessels.
State registration decals are required and must be displayed on the forward half of the vessel so they are easily visible for law enforcement.

Source
http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/420082.pdf


Sailing somewhere
__________________
motaman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 09:49   #24
Registered User
 
motaman9's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 151
Re: State Registration with CG Documentation?

Also cited on

http://www.boatus.org/guide/boat_5.html


Sailing somewhere
__________________
motaman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 09:56   #25
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,880
Re: State registration with CG documentation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
You're welcome to keep searching, but I am quite certain that you will never find any rule, regulation, or law that says that you are not permitted to display state registration numbers on a CG documented vessel, because no such rule, regulation, or law exists.

Again, the state cannot REQUIRE you to display numbers. The CG regulations are quite clear on that. And that is the only thing that the CG regulations say about state registration numbers. That is, of course, completely different from saying that you are not ALLOWED to display numbers.
Thanks Motoman9, I just couldn't lay my hands on it quickly.
__________________
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 10:20   #26
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2014
Boat: Sovereign 24
Posts: 72
Re: State registration with CG documentation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Clark H356 View Post
Went to FL last winter and didn't register with FL because my TN sticker was good for ninety days. I was offshore and out of Florida waters always within the 90 days, so even though I was sometimes Fl, offshore, back in Fl, I believe I complied with the law there as I was never in FL more than 90 days at a a time.
Is FL 90 days consecutive or any 90 days within a yr.?
__________________
Phantoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 11:16   #27
Registered User
 
denverd0n's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,953
Images: 6
Re: State Registration with CG Documentation?

Okay, believe whatever you want. All I will point out is that it is a Washington state document that says (incorrectly) that federal regulations prohibit the display of state numbers. You won't find that in any federal document. And as for the BoatUS web page, it says (correctly, and as I have said) that documented vessels are not REQUIRED to display state registration numbers. Once again, a very different thing than saying that it is "illegal" to put state numbers on a documented vessel.

But, like I said, believe what you want. I won't argue the point any further. The truth is pretty easy to find out for yourself by reading the USCG documents and seeing what they say, and don't say.
__________________
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 11:19   #28
Registered User
 
denverd0n's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,953
Images: 6
Re: State registration with CG documentation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
Is FL 90 days consecutive or any 90 days within a yr.?
It is 90 consecutive days. Details here...
Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
__________________
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 13:49   #29
Registered User
 
motaman9's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 151
Re: State Registration with CG Documentation?

I'm just going by what the sources say and what I was told by the USCG.....their vessel documentation offices are closed on Thursdays....I'll get a source citation tomorrow


Sailing somewhere
__________________
motaman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 14:02   #30
Registered User
 
motaman9's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 151
Re: State Registration with CG Documentation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Okay, believe whatever you want. All I will point out is that it is a Washington state document that says (incorrectly) that federal regulations prohibit the display of state numbers. You won't find that in any federal document. And as for the BoatUS web page, it says (correctly, and as I have said) that documented vessels are not REQUIRED to display state registration numbers. Once again, a very different thing than saying that it is "illegal" to put state numbers on a documented vessel.

But, like I said, believe what you want. I won't argue the point any further. The truth is pretty easy to find out for yourself by reading the USCG documents and seeing what they say, and don't say.

BoatUS page says this....I copied the text

"Federally documented vessels are prohibited from using state boat numbering on the hull, though they can display registration stickers."


Sailing somewhere
__________________

__________________
motaman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
documentation, men, registration

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Documentation Vs. State Registration csharp Monohull Sailboats 10 05-04-2013 19:56
USCG Documentation/ State Registration alpeckenpa Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 8 08-11-2012 21:47
State Small Craft Registration: Legal as Documentation? Tom Stormcrowe Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 18 08-09-2012 16:19
State Registration to USCG Documentation…? dcstrng General Sailing Forum 2 07-07-2008 10:15
federal documentation/state requirements?? cadye Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 3 24-08-2005 13:23



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:14.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.