Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 06:30   #106
cruiser

Re: So many rules in So Cal!

You folks think Southern California is bad? It's a regular societal paradise compared to what I put up with everyday here in New England. I'd trade the New England people any day for the folks in California. For the most part, the posters on the forum don't seem to have any first hand experience dealing with the So Cal folks... and possibly have issues dealing with authority figures. Of course things have changed over the past 30 years or so, but I still find it easy to get to know the folks and create lasting friendships in So Cal. Don't judge the entire State on the experiences of a few unhappy campers.

I've lived in both places for over 25 years. Just outside of Newport Beach and Dana Point to be specific, it's a lovely area, nothing to be scared of. Of course the nice thing about cruising or living on a boat, if you don't like one place, just pull up your anchor and move on. Speaking of anchors.... why didn't the OP just use one of the many free anchorages instead of the slip? Could have avoided the entire issue.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:37   #107

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
what a good thread for whining, crying, complaining, anti-gov't, etc.
Like you haven't done your fair share.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 11-12-2012, 06:43   #108
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms
You're jumping in late, so maybe you didn't read the thread.

The reason the sherriff is involved is that the Newport Harbor Patrol is an arm of the shrriff's department in Orange County (where Newport is located) and the Harbor Patrol rents the guest dock space where the OP was berthed and to whom she failed to make timely payment.
Ogh I got that bit. It was more that a LEO shouldn't be involved in collecting civil debt money. Too easy to mix up ones use of the powers that LEO are graciously given by the electorate. It not a good idea, nor does it justify the heavy attitude

Dave
Old 11-12-2012, 07:11   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You folks think Southern California is bad? It's a regular societal paradise compared to what I put up with everyday here in New England. I'd trade the New England people any day for the folks in California. For the most part, the posters on the forum don't seem to have any first hand experience dealing with the So Cal folks... and possibly have issues dealing with authority figures. Of course things have changed over the past 30 years or so, but I still find it easy to get to know the folks and create lasting friendships in So Cal. Don't judge the entire State on the experiences of a few unhappy campers.

I've lived in both places for over 25 years. Just outside of Newport Beach and Dana Point to be specific, it's a lovely area, nothing to be scared of. Of course the nice thing about cruising or living on a boat, if you don't like one place, just pull up your anchor and move on. Speaking of anchors.... why didn't the OP just use one of the many free anchorages instead of the slip? Could have avoided the entire issue.
This gets to the point. SoCal is great, it's a tiny few people, Like the OC Harbor Patrol collection folks, the property tax folks in CA & Katt Williams who make the criticisms legit. Unfortunately a lot of stereotypes are based on something and it's extra sad when people live up to them. (Katt's a bad example though, he's just off his rocker and obviously needs help)
Old 11-12-2012, 07:17   #110

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
There are times, I think, when you reap what you sow......
A lot of bandwidth could have been saved if this were post #2.

Post #3 might have read; "There are 3 sides to every story; your side, my side and the truth"

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:08   #111
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
A lot of bandwidth could have been saved if this were post #2.

Post #3 might have read; "There are 3 sides to every story; your side, my side and the truth"
It would clearly be fun to hear what the Newport Beach Harbor Patrol has to say about this story. I know for a fact that the harbor takes credit cards. So what did the OP do to cause the red carpet to be yanked?

Maybe just attitude?

Attitude is an important skill for cruisers to learn. When one is a guest, acting like Lord Of The Manner gets one nowhere.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:57   #112
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash

It would clearly be fun to hear what the Newport Beach Harbor Patrol has to say about this story. I know for a fact that the harbor takes credit cards. So what did the OP do to cause the red carpet to be yanked?

Maybe just attitude?

Attitude is an important skill for cruisers to learn. When one is a guest, acting like Lord Of The Manner gets one nowhere.
Yes but I would argue you are entitled to the presumption of decency too.

Dave
Old 11-12-2012, 09:01   #113
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

It can be difficult keeping a good attitude when a government official starts out with a bad attitude towards a citizen. The presumption that many of them have that you are a bad person, you are trying to break the law or that you are trying to get away with something gets really old. Do we just keep smiling and let them verbally or otherwise abuse us? Is that the type of government that was designed and intended us to live under?

Life begins where land ends.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:13   #114

Boat: Allures 44

California has a lot of boaters and not so many harbors. This means more rules and regulations. I get it. Still, if you think about it objectively the idea of a "daily cash payment" is weird, and impounding a boat for being 48 hours late on a daily payment is simply uncivilized.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:17   #115

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

Maybe it's just that transient cruisers are seen as more trouble than they are worth in some places.The officials would probably rather not have to even deal with them.San Diego was the only place where I noticed the lower than decent attitude towards cruisers.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:28   #116

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I have a friend who lives in one of those mansions just outside the Newport Beach entrance and has a boat in a slip in the marina.
He says Newport Beach is the best place in the world to live.

One small detail, he moved there from Russia.

Ayn Rand
Old 11-12-2012, 09:32   #117
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Yes but I would argue you are entitled to the presumption of decency too.
Decency, yes, and civility as well. But once you're late with the rent, it may be too late to expect graciousness on top of it all.

My point was that we're only hearing one side of the story, and as well that cruisers should develop the social graces of dealing with harbor officials wherever they are guests. Part of that involves paying one's bills in a timely manner.

My guess is that the particular harbor officials in question were taught to be heavy-handed by previous cruisers who skipped out on their dockage. Most likely by cruisers headed south. So the harbor patrol has learned to deal with those who fall behind in their payments via impoundment. It's possible that they thought they were extending a courtesy by providing a warning call prior to impoundment.

When Cruiser A fails to settle bills in a timely manner, s/he has just made life more difficult for Cruiser B. Well, I'm Cruiser B. When I see Cruiser A getting on the internet and blasting all of Southern California for not being gracious hosts when s/he has been sloppy about paying dockage, my impulse is not to commiserate that the fascist police in the nanny state have done them wrong. Rather, my impulse is to tell Cruiser A to stop mucking it up for the rest of us.

If the OP dislikes SoCal, than by all means stay offshore next time you transit the area. Indeed, I invite the OP to skip over Northern California as well. It's possible to get from Mexico to Oregon without ever laying eyes on California, and I'm happy to provide waypoints on how to do so.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:42   #118

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
One small detail, he moved there from Russia.
As someone noted earlier, there are a lot of more heavily regulated and red taped areas of the world one could be in than SoCal. On the other side of the coin, there are many unregulated areas one would not want to cruise in either (Somalia comes to mind).
Old 11-12-2012, 10:53   #119
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Bash-
See now, that's the difference between cruisers and yachtsmen. Cruisers often handle their own financial matters, clearances, payments to local tradespeople and the like.
Yachtsmen have people to do that. You'll never see a complaint in the yachtsmensforum about financial matters with the local constabulary. That's something the purser and other crew are paid to deal with.

Of course, slumming in thrid world countries like California is also part of the problem. In places like Vancouver, you can swipe your credit card in a parking lot or pay phone and somehow, they just make it work. In others you can do that by wireless, too.

So having to physically present yourself for inspection by the local constabulary, no matter how cleverly veiled as a "payment" transaction, should tell you something about the slum you are docking in as well. What is this, Casablanca circa 1942? How quaint.

Really now, Bash. Some places and people simply are not civilized.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:12   #120
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
So having to physically present yourself for inspection by the local constabulary, no matter how cleverly veiled as a "payment" transaction, should tell you something about the slum you are docking in as well. What is this, Casablanca circa 1942? How quaint.
Do a little research (really--it won't hurt) and you'll discover that Newport Beach Harbor allows people to settle their bills by credit card. In the instance in question, the Harbor Patrol must have had some reason for requiring the delinquent party to be present to avoid impoundment of their boat. Note that the OP never claimed that they had to pay in cash, as has been speculated on this thread, only that they had to pay "in person." We can only speculate what that reason might be since we only have one side of the story, and such speculation would be of little value. Clearly, the OP was not given the impression that an extended stay would be welcomed by harbor officials. In that regard, the harbor seems to have gotten its message across.

Tags
cal