Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 14:33   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: So many rules in So Cal!

In this day and age, a marina/harbor master that won't take plastic over the phone is simply being a lazy a**hole. Which is probably the attitude they were hired to project. Newport Beach has turned into an enclave of wannabe's with way too much money and a desire to lord it over the common folk. Cruising sailors in anything less than an Oyster are mere peasants to be encouraged to move on.

California has turned into the land of regulations and taxes. Apparrently so much that people are bailing out in droves. Unless you have a need, best to avoid.

What's the difference between California and the Titanic?????? Give up!!!!

The passengers and crew on the Titanic didn't vote to hit the iceberg.
Old 09-12-2012, 14:52   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
In this day and age, a marina/harbor master that won't take plastic over the phone is simply being a lazy a**hole.
I'd take it further,

It's more work to have to do a transaction in person. Particularly when you are having the phone call anyway and then have to do a second transaction.

And cash-only is much more expensive as well, because you have a lot of labor cost to deal with it, not to mention dangerous if there are mid to large amounts involved.

So I'd say they are stupid and lazy
Old 09-12-2012, 14:53   #33

Every single person I found with authority was an arshole with an excemption of one helpfull harbourmaster in Channel Islands harbour that helped me out.marine del ray was pretty bad too,had a chick raise her voice at me as i went to pay and didnt look at the number slip I was at.I will never go back to California in a yacht! I am purchasing another yacht this year and i am going to Florida!!! Aussie Paul.
Old 09-12-2012, 15:10   #34

Boat: Mac 26X
I left SF bay area in '93 and never looked Back. Fast bottom's actions on this board represent CA well. Most can't even manage to say hello without seeming like you're putting them out.

Overall it's just not a friendly state. As others have said, the Gulf Coast is very laid back. The water's not nearly as pretty here, that's a fact! But I prefer the people any day!
Old 09-12-2012, 15:19   #35

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

+1 for ElGatoGordo Ya got it right for sure !!!
Old 09-12-2012, 16:56   #36

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Except for Brookings, where the CG boards every boat and can be quite intimidating.

Northern California is exactly the opposite of Southern California. Try SF Bay and its tributaries some time. Very friendly.
Very true, I was boarded there too... They tried for an hour to find me out of compliance, but they failed.. Northern Cali is not part of California... State of Jefferson..Good people there. Had a great time in Eureka and Fort Bragg. Brooking's would not let me secure my vessel before they boarded. Michael..
Old 09-12-2012, 17:46   #37

Boat: Caliber 40

C'mon - you folks need to learn to interact with authority figures in a less confrontational manner.

I've been sailing boats thru California for the last 13 years. I've spent a lot of time as a transient boat in Gold Bar, Noyo River, Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz, Monterrey, Santa Barbara, Newport, Dana Point, Oceanside, Avalon, Catalina Harbor, Mission Bay, Shelter Island, Harbor Island, Marriott Marina, and Chula Vista in five different boats.

I've never had any of the experiences described above. I've been boarded by the USCG, Harbor Police, ICE and various harbor masters. All of them have unfailingly polite and helpful. I've had extensive dealings with California tax folks who have been courteous and helpful.

Maybe I've just plain lucky but my boating experiences in California have been no different than in Washington, Oregon, British Columbia, Michigan, Maryland, Florida, the Virgin Islands, or Mexico. Show the proper respect and deference to those who can cause you trouble by enforcing arcane and unknowable rules, regulations, and laws. They can always find a way to cause you a problem if you give them attitude so my policy is to give them love and respect.

Just to be clear - I am a Washingtonian and have spent most of my 40 years sailing in the Pacific NW.
Old 09-12-2012, 18:00   #38

Boat: PT-11

California signs say it all. Yes, that second one does say End Road Work. The second pic is on a random lawn in San Francisco.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	50984   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0464.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	368.7 KB
ID:	50985  

Old 09-12-2012, 18:07   #39

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Come on over to the East Coast. Despite what you hear, it is very rare to have any interaction with law enforcement on the water, especially north of Florida. Even Florida, which has gotten an unwarranted bad rap due to a few bad apples, is mostly live-and-let-live.
Old 09-12-2012, 18:14   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
Just to be clear - I am a Washingtonian and have spent most of my 40 years sailing in the Pacific NW.
I bought my boat in Olympia, and it's currently in Seattle. I paid WA sales tax on it.

So how would you feel if you got a Tax bill from CA for that? Cuz I'm pretty belligerent about it.
Old 09-12-2012, 18:15   #41

I lived and sailed in San Diego (and the surrounding area) for most of my boating career. I knew all the BS and could navigate it, but I always felt terrible for everyone transiting the area.

The only exceptions to the socal BS is the channel islands. Avalon is stupid, but two harbors and the rest of them are awesome.
Old 09-12-2012, 18:25   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I lived and sailed in San Diego (and the surrounding area) for most of my boating career. I knew all the BS and could navigate it, but I always felt terrible for everyone transiting the area.

The only exceptions to the socal BS is the channel islands. Avalon is stupid, but two harbors and the rest of them are awesome.
Agree, but even Avalon it's a known thing and can be dealt with. The Harbor patrol guys are at least friendly

And with the coastie being killed at Santa Cruz I am betting the Sheriffs everywhere will be a lot more agressive going forward.
Old 09-12-2012, 18:27   #43

Boat: 1988 48' Offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebWench View Post
sail power, hotels commonly ask for a credit card when you check in.....they may not charge you till you check out but....they have your number.
My guess is that the Marinas in Calif. are probably pretty crowded with many boats coming and going...they probably have set policies because they have been burned before....so you probably have to cut them some slack. They however should have been able to take your credit card by phone....most businesses are able to do that for their customers.
The problem businesses have with taking credit cards over the phone is that without the signature of the cardholder, the cardholder can just challenge the charge on his card statement. The card company will ask the merchant for a copy of the signed sales receipt to prove the charge is valid. When the merchant can't provide it, since it was over the phone, guess what happens next?
Old 09-12-2012, 18:34   #44

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
But taking the harbor/sherriff's point of view, what is to stop the boat owner from coming and taking the boat away without paying the bill? Is the marina supposed to take everybody with a sob story about why they can't pay on time at their word?

Interesting...Being public servants, I thought they were suppose to serve the public. Oh hell...I'm probably just expecting a little civil kindness now and again.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 09-12-2012, 18:40   #45

Sounds like most of you of you are the type to bitch when you get a ticket for speeding, knowing that you were speeding. Dont blame the people who are trying to earn a living enforcing laws they might not agree with yet do so anyway. Feel free to sail the coast of Somalia if you dont like it here.
Closed Thread

Tags
cal