Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 15:50   #1

Boat: Nightingale / 1981 Sloop / 29.5'
So many rules in So Cal!

My husband and I are transiting the Pacific Coast (just got to Ensenada) and we were really astonished about how serious Southern Californians are about making and enforcing rules. Most places that we stop were usually very low key and understanding, but everything changed once we rounded Point Conception.

When we were in Newport Beach we forgot to pay for a couple of extra nights by check out time last Sunday. We were up in Northridge (about 1.5 hours North in good traffic) picking some things up from our friends who agreed to be a mail drop. The sheriff called us and told us that we needed to pay up. We apologized profusely and offered to pay by phone or pay when we returned later that evening (they're open 24 hours). They insisted that we pay in person and told us that we had exactly two hours until they impounded our boat (which would be $150 to release, plus $50 per day). We said goodbye to our friends (who we were barely able to say hello to) and rushed back. Luckily there wasn't much traffic and we made it back in time. It was a rude awakening for sure.

Do you have any good/ridiculous stories about So. Cal rules? Or rules anywhere else for that matter. I'd be really curious to hear them.
Old 08-12-2012, 16:19   #2

Re: So many rules in So Cal!

Hiya,someone else has experienced Cali rules.I am Australian and i took my boat from Ventura to Ensenada.It was a non stop fight!!!! I have never come across so many rules and dickheads.I went to get supplies once and came back to find my boat gone.I was only gone an hour but crossed one of their many rules.Small people with a badge with small man syndrome.I was so glad to get out! It was like treading on egg shells and didnt know who was going to attack me next.I could write a small novel on it.My boat is still in Ensanada,I am in Oz at the moment.maybe you could check her for me.Paul
Old 08-12-2012, 16:41   #3
cruiser

In Dana Point harbor last season, we were stopped by the sheriff and instructed to get our dinghy registered in California at the department of motor vehicles. Our Hunter was documented in the State of Oregon.

The California Mud Tax is special... A county property tax on the ocean bottom shadowed by one's boat. The Mud Tax is charged in addition to the personal property tax assessed on your vessel.

So Cal is a great place to Live or visit via boat if you don't mind being boarded multiple times and some of the weirdness, but I wouldn't want to live there any longer... Things have changed the past couple of years...We moved.

That said, in 10-15 years if things improve, I can easily see us retired and very happy living in the Long Beach Marina.... Excellent.
Old 08-12-2012, 16:50   #4

Dana point was where the tough little man took my boat.
Old 08-12-2012, 16:59   #5

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

I've only been a boat owner since April. A month or two ago, I received an envelope with a California Use Tax Bill. They were trying to tax me for my boat that I bought and have stored in Tennessee and to be used in Kentucky. I had to send them the bill for exemption for being out of state with copies of the documents I have to prove it. The reason they sent me this tax bill is only because they saw something that it was sold and the hailing port is Dana Point, CA.

I haven't heard anything since I sent the other papers and I'm already considering switching out the hailing port when I renew my USCG Documentation to Annapolis.
Old 08-12-2012, 17:01   #6

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S

That is why we will go directly south from Halifax to Bermuda....bypassing that Homeland Security and over regulation.
Old 08-12-2012, 17:28   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan S View Post
That is why we will go directly south from Halifax to Bermuda....bypassing that Homeland Security and over regulation.
The east coast of the US is pretty reasonable (at least until you get down to Florida), nothing at all like S Cal.

We had been anchored in one of the S Cal harbors for a day and the harbor master came by and said we had to leave the next morning because anchoring was limited to 48 hours. We told him there was a large swell and storm warning for the next morning and would prefer to wait another day - he said no we had to go (or tie up at a marina).
Old 08-12-2012, 17:40   #8

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

California was a BPITA 12 years ago when we left to sail to Louisiana!! It had gotten so bad we felt we had to leave !! To many strange rules, to many strange folks with badges and a Little Guys attitude!! We left Cresent city, stopped once in Dana Point for some groceries, and to top the fuel and water tanks! All I can say is I will never go back to that harbor again!! To much trouble!! Our next stop, was Cabo, and we never looked back !! Give me the gulf coast anyday !! Sure we have Hurrycanes and such, but even our Homeland Sec. folks are nice and polite down here !! Just sayin, there are places out there that are still run by simple folks, with simple rules!! Ya just have to look !!
Old 08-12-2012, 17:46   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

The unfriendly attitude in Southern California is what happens when there are too many boats and too few places to put those boats, combined with bureaucrats, elected officials and law enforcement officers who cherish the power they have over others. Maximizing their feeling of power and importance matters more than making visitors feel welcome. It is irrelevant to these people how much money a visitor brings to a local economy. Most of their paychecks are paid for by local government.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 08-12-2012, 18:21   #10

It is interesting to hear this.I thought they just didn't like me or Aussies.I tried my best to adhere to all the rule.there is just too many.They just go straight for your throught without trying to help you.Especially being a foreigner,nothing against you guys from the USA.I visited a few yacht clubs in Southern Cal and al the people I met were helpfull and courteous and could not do enough for me.Shame about the wankers with the badges.
Old 08-12-2012, 19:04   #11

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

ANOTHER REASON TO JUST LOVE BIG GOVERNMENT AND ASK FOR MORE OF IT!!! The way things are now going, many will get their wish
Old 08-12-2012, 19:33   #12

Boat: Haida 26

California is just a bad place to visit, hands down, by land or sea.. I personally will never stop in that state again, for any reason. I'll be heading to the Gulf of Mexico next fall. The people are in fact better in all respects. They make you feel welcome... Michael..
Old 09-12-2012, 09:25   #13
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonysimone View Post
So many rules in So Cal!
Yes, and how onerous that one of them is that you are expected to pay for the services you use in a timely manner. The unmitigated gall!

I am quite sure that you would have made good on your obligation and come back and paid the balance of your debt. Or not. Either way, how the hell is the marina supposed to know what your intentions were? You are a transient, on your way to parts unknown. I wonder how many times the harbor has been burned by other sailors who conveniently "forgot" to pay their bill by the agreed-upon date, and then simply sailed away, never to been seen again? Yes, threatening to impound your boat may have seemed a tad draconian. But once you are gone, their options for collecting from you probably essentially vanish. Of course they're going to enforce the slip rental agreement and it is absolutely unreasonable to expect otherwise.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:47   #14

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

If I find a total jerk somewhere, I write a letter to the tourism board in the area. Sometimes it helps.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:57   #15

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Yes, and how onerous that one of them is that you are expected to pay for the services you use in a timely manner. The unmitigated gall!

I am quite sure that you would have made good on your obligation and come back and paid the balance of your debt. Or not. Either way, how the hell is the marina supposed to know what your intentions were? You are a transient, on your way to parts unknown. I wonder how many times the harbor has been burned by other sailors who conveniently "forgot" to pay their bill by the agreed-upon date, and then simply sailed away, never to been seen again? Yes, threatening to impound your boat may have seemed a tad draconian. But once you are gone, their options for collecting from you probably essentially vanish. Of course they're going to enforce the slip rental agreement and it is absolutely unreasonable to expect otherwise.
Oregon coast is way more friendly, No Gestapo here........
Closed Thread

Tags
cal