Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2011, 01:55   #1

Boat: L 34
Skipper's Qualifications

I would like to compare different countries regulations. What qualifications/skipper's tickets are recreational sailors/boaters required by law to have in your country before being permitted to sail offshore from your home port. What booking out or flight plan procedures are required to be complied with. Thanks forumites.
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 02:12   #2
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Skipper's qualifications

Jersey

Skipper Qualifications - None
Boat equipment requirements - None
Checking out / checking in requirements (1 day or 10 years) - None
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 02:34   #3

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Jersey

Skipper Qualifications - None
Boat equipment requirements - None
Checking out / checking in requirements (1 day or 10 years) - None
DOJ,

Does this apply only to the select few that the local gov. would love to get rid of.

Sorry Mate, had to ask
Old 20-10-2011, 03:56   #4

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

USA

No license or permits. It's your boat, go where you want.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 04:26   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
DOJ,

Does this apply only to the select few that the local gov. would love to get rid of.

Sorry Mate, had to ask
Nah, but it means that 1 in 3 boats sink each year - and it's a constant battle to get all the bodies off the beaches

But in reality the last couple of "major" incidents have been French commercial fishing boats (Skipper and boat regulated up the chuff!). Last year one got sliced in 2 by a high speed ferry travelling at 40 knots in solid fog (and report just out says that no one was looking at the radar, boat clearly visible - no sh#t ). Last week one ran into some rocks (one of those WTF was he doing there???!! things)........but mostly it's a few folk running out of fuel or with engine troubles (usually small power craft) - sailing boats? I think a few get towed in now and again due to engine problems .....and not wishing to be late for lunch? Of course throw in some kayakers and folk getting stuck half way up a cliff / headland to escape the incoming tide ("I wonder why these rocks are all wet and covered in seaweed?" ).

Not to say that all craft that go to sea are well equipped or skilfully skippered - but they mostly seem to survive
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 04:49   #6

England none
Pagos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 05:47   #7

Thanks so far guys. Anybody from AUS, N.Zealand, Europe, Scandinavia,
Japan, and on and on, ! ??
Old 20-10-2011, 10:46   #8

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Skipper's Qualifications

Sweden: If boat under 12 meters, go as you like.

There are recommendations though and training available to anybody who is wise enough to use them.

It does not mean though that you will be allowed into any other country.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 11:13   #9

For commercial it's a good idea to have your STCW-95 but it's not required unless you're doing commercial work.

MCA Yachtmaster is another good one to pursue; honestly way harder from the USCG's lower tonnage master's license from what I can see.

Yachtmaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 11:30   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Sweden: If boat under 12 meters, go as you like.

There are recommendations though and training available to anybody who is wise enough to use them.

It does not mean though that you will be allowed into any other country.

b.
Non obligatory in the UK either; however, the British RYA (Royal Yacht Association) (RYA) training & certification programme is recognized globally & many foreign students including from the USA, come to the UK to study within their syllabus.
Having said that, IMHO "any training from a recognized maritime training body" is better than none!...
BTW When I was running a charter company in the BVI & I wanted to put some paper credentials on the wall of my office, I had to fly back to the UK for this because my course/training certification had to be in strong tidal waters which at that time did not include the Caribbean.
Islander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 13:59   #11

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

In France:
* No qualifications are required by law before recreational boaters being permitted to sail offshore. A license is required for motor boats. There are rumors of creating a license for sailing boats but it doesn't seem serious.

* No checking out or nav plan are required.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 04:39   #12

Thanks again, --- Anybody from AUS, NZ, or Canada.?
Old 21-10-2011, 04:50   #13
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmek View Post
I would like to compare different countries regulations. What qualifications/skipper's tickets are recreational sailors/boaters required by law to have in your country before being permitted to sail offshore from your home port. What booking out or flight plan procedures are required to be complied with. Thanks forumites.

In the United States, "Skipper" is a nickname holding no real authority with the government. It means, usually, the person who owns the boat and is by default, the one in charge.

We also use the word "captain" that loosely, but it also has a legal definition meaning certain coursework and levels of experience. To operate a personal watercraft the owner is not required to have any kind of license except at lest in one state (Florida, the only one I'm fammiliar with), if one is under 21, in which case one must have taken a state safety course. I took it anyway (trust me, I'm over 21!) but it was extremely basic and there was no "holding the tiller" or "behind the wheel" test.

Commerically it'a a whole other story and others can explain it better than me.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 04:51   #14
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
DOJ,

Sorry Mate, had to ask

Jn the United States some things are done state by state, and some are federal. I think a true Captain's license (commercial) may be federal. If you're bringing your own boat for recreational use, none of that applies.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 04:57   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander1 View Post
Non obligatory in the UK either; however, the British RYA (Royal Yacht Association) (RYA) training & certification programme is recognized globally & many foreign students including from the USA, come to the UK to study within their syllabus.
Having said that, IMHO "any training from a recognized maritime training body" is better than none!...
BTW When I was running a charter company in the BVI & I wanted to put some paper credentials on the wall of my office, I had to fly back to the UK for this because my course/training certification had to be in strong tidal waters which at that time did not include the Caribbean.
Unfortunately, some of the Sail/Power Training Establishments have become a bit like PADI "PutAnotherDollarIn" certifications with money required for many steps and manuals having to be purchased because the Instructors certifications are particular to each manual, meaning you can't get away with borrowing one and going on to get certified. This has encouraged many to leapfrog over some of the certifications.
Regarding diving, SDI IMHO do just as fine a job, my son did his Open Water with PADI and then his advanced with SDI no worries and far less costs involved. Sorry, I appreciate it's away from the thread but those interested in diving may find this link of interest.
PADI v SDI: a comparison of their approach and marketing
Islander1 is offline   Reply With Quote