Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2019, 15:49   #91

Boat: Morgan 44 CC
Re: Shutting down AIS

I once had an owner of a fancy Harley Davidson that was in our workshop, refuse to provide his address for fear that if someone knew where he lived, they would be able to steal his motorcycle. When I pointed out to him that all that was required for someone to steal his motorcycle was for them to follow him home, he actually blushed.

This conversation is very similar.

I have nothing further to contribute.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 16:07   #92

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
I once had an owner of a fancy Harley Davidson that was in our workshop, refuse to provide his address for fear that if someone knew where he lived, they would be able to steal his motorcycle. When I pointed out to him that all that was required for someone to steal his motorcycle was for them to follow him home, he actually blushed.

This conversation is very similar.

I have nothing further to contribute.

He wouldn’t notice someone following him?

On that note it’s pretty easy to Hotwire lots of bikes, as are picking most locks you’ll see on a bike, why not just leave the keys in it too?

Folks can also find your bank accounts too if they really want to, care to post all your baking details?

Gotta opsec dude.
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 16:17   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post

Folks can also find your bank accounts too if they really want to, care to post all your baking details?

Gotta opsec dude.
Every time you write a check you give the recipient your bank account number and routing number, it's printed right there in that string of numbers on the bottom of the check. So sure, I'll be happy to give you my bank account number, there's nothing you can really do with it given I've got a block on ACH pulls and checks (mystified why anyone uses them anymore) so every payment is initiated by me from either my online account or if it's big enough they call me to verify before sending.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 16:30   #94

If someone NEEDS a check, which I really avoid using for many reasons, there is a NEED for that number to be shared.

There is zero NEED for anyone with a laptop to see my individual identifying information on my boat, also if I’m skirting by sketch place no way am I running AIS, doubt I’ll even be running lights.
Old 19-11-2019, 17:13   #95

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:
A petty burglary is what it’s called when luckily no one is home, when someone ends up being home it’s called a home invasion.

Aside from the obvious really bad track record of how government treats citizens, as someone who had a attempted home invasion once, I just don’t like prying whatever chinks in my armor further open. Trust but verify, walk softly but carry a big stick and all that.
Actually, in most of the US, and internationally, the offense of breaking into a building/vessel with the intent to steal property is codified as 'burglary' regardless of whether occupants are present or not.

The phrase 'home invasion' is a loosely defined and is only a criminal statute in about 8 US states, thus the perpetrator of a 'home invasion' (outside those 8 states) is charged with the pursuant crime (there may be additional charges if occupants of the location are present).

As interesting as parts of this thread are, it unfortunately has descended into the proverbial rabbit hole of ridiculousness and misinformation from which I must extricate myself.
Old 19-11-2019, 17:38   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
Actually, in most of the US, and internationally, the offense of breaking into a building/vessel with the intent to steal property is codified as 'burglary' regardless of whether occupants are present or not.

The phrase 'home invasion' is a loosely defined and is only a criminal statute in about 8 US states, thus the perpetrator of a 'home invasion' (outside those 8 states) is charged with the pursuant crime (there may be additional charges if occupants of the location are present).

As interesting as parts of this thread are, it unfortunately has descended into the proverbial rabbit hole of ridiculousness and misinformation from which I must extricate myself.

Misinformation?

And breaking into a home when someone is there is far from a small offense, in many places it is a instance where the use of deadly force can be used.

A burglary is by no means a small petty crime.
Old 20-11-2019, 02:36   #97
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

My last thoughts on this.

I have done numerous circumnavigations on Super yachts without the need for AIS.

I have had professional training in VIP and Marine security both in Israel and in the US, ......so while I am not paranoid, I am aware of the various types of threats and ways to minimize them via disinformation and crew training.

In Asia, in certain known security choke points, I usually transit at night in dark ship mode.

Guests are not onboard in those areas and the last thing I want to do is broadcast my position and Vessel Type to anyone who may have an opportunistic agenda

Yet I appreciate and use AIS when appropriate......

There is no right or wrong to this, it is what the captain decides while maintaining a proper watch and exhibiting good seamanship.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 03:55   #98

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
He wouldn’t notice someone following him?
Probably not. Most people are oblivious. Further on an HD on which the mirrors only stabilize at moderate speeds and higher so the cues important for surveillance detection are obscured.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais