Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2017, 19:45   #1

Boat: Telstar 28
Should I sail naked?

My insurance company will cover my boat as long as I am within 12 miles from the coast. After that they say I am on my own.

Is there an insurance company that will provide you with insurance for just sailing outside the USA? We only sail a few months out of the year....anyone provide coverage on a month to month basis.....or should I just sail naked with no insurance?

Randy
SVLydia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 19:59   #2

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42
Re: Should I sail naked?

Depends on risk tolerance, but NO... And if something happens 10-12 miles out, you can bet they will try to establish you were greater than 12 miles out.

And does greater than 12 miles from COAST or US Coast?
DeepCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 20:38   #3

Boat: Custom 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVLydia View Post
My insurance company will cover my boat as long as I am within 12 miles from the coast. After that they say I am on my own.

Is there an insurance company that will provide you with insurance for just sailing outside the USA? We only sail a few months out of the year....anyone provide coverage on a month to month basis.....or should I just sail naked with no insurance?

Randy
Hi Randy, we have been using Seaworthy, recently bought by Geico, for years. They've been great with not giving us much in the way of navigational limits. They've even honored a couple of requests for an increase in maximum latitude on a couple of occasions without a fuss.

They didn't even charge me extra to cover an Atlantic crossing via the northern route.

I'd take a look at them. I do not, however, think that they will issue a policy that's not annual.

A lot will depend on your experience. If you don't have a lot, go take some classes, get a certificate or two, and you'll find any insurance company more accommodating.

Good luck, TJ
Old 21-10-2017, 07:19   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepCut View Post
Depends on risk tolerance, but NO... And if something happens 10-12 miles out, you can bet they will try to establish you were greater than 12 miles out.

And does greater than 12 miles from COAST or US Coast?
Thanks Deep Cut, very good point!! I will have to get that verified and keep in mind that if something happens to record the GPS coordinate to establish the exact location of the incident.
Old 21-10-2017, 07:23   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
Hi Randy, we have been using Seaworthy, recently bought by Geico, for years. They've been great with not giving us much in the way of navigational limits. They've even honored a couple of requests for an increase in maximum latitude on a couple of occasions without a fuss.

They didn't even charge me extra to cover an Atlantic crossing via the northern route.

I'd take a look at them. I do not, however, think that they will issue a policy that's not annual.

A lot will depend on your experience. If you don't have a lot, go take some classes, get a certificate or two, and you'll find any insurance company more accommodating.

Good luck, TJ
Thanks TJ I will contact them. That's my biggest concern, paying full rate for a year and only sailing a few months could make insurance very spendy. I do have some experience but far from a professional sailor/navigator. What classes would you recommend?
Old 21-10-2017, 07:53   #6

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

I see you have a Telstar. Before I bought my boat I looked at a couple of them. One of the reasons I did not like the Telstar was that they are not really a boat most folks would want to make long passages in. In fact unless you are going some place like the Bahamas I would not suggest taking one more that 12 miles from the coast.

Not sure about your plans to sail "outside the US" but again while the Bahamas is a possibility no place else seems realistic to me; except maybe something like the Sea of Cortez but that can be done staying inside the 12 mile limit.

On the other hand the Telstar can be folded up and put on a trailer. It is common for insurance companies to offer deeply discounted rates for the months a boat is kept on a trailer. Especially if you are dealing with a company that has agents that know something about boats.

One thing I have found is that you will have to do your own footwork and contact the companies on your own. If you deal with a CU like USAA you may be able to call up. Progressive, GEICO, and State Farm are also options. My advice would be to first call you car insurance agent (I assume you have one) and ask about additional boat coverage. If you are not happy then start with the three I mentioned. Make sure when you first call you stress you want to speak to someone about boat insurance; not just the next available agent.

Another option is to call up BoatUS. I highly suggest you get their tow service, or Seatow. With BoatUS you will get someone who knows about boats. Problem for you is that they may quickly realize the level of your experience, so you should at least take one of the free online boating courses that offers some type of certificate of completion. Even better would be to get a more intense course since all most all insurance companies will offer a discount if you have completed some type of course.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 07:59   #7

Boat: Catalina 320

I have a "coastal" policy that's good out to 75 NM (maybe 100 I forget) for all of North America, I'm not familiar with why a 12 mile limit would be imposed.
Between boats I was advised by my insurer not to cancel the policy on the sold boat, I'd call them and they'd make it "Inactive" (no premiums) then the new boat would be insured by phone later under the same policy.
Where do you mean by "outside the US", as stated mine's good for US and Canada but I need to get an additional short term "Rider" or coverage for Mexico and Hawaii.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 08:07   #8

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
snip
Another option is to call up BoatUS. I highly suggest you get their tow service, or Seatow. With BoatUS you will get someone who knows about boats. Problem for you is that they may quickly realize the level of your experience, so you should at least take one of the free online boating courses that offers some type of certificate of completion. Even better would be to get a more intense course since all most all insurance companies will offer a discount if you have completed some type of course.
I approached BoatUS a few years ago for a quote. They were much higher than other quotes I got at the time, and then when they found out I have a tri they said they don't insure multis. I said I don't race and hadn't had a claim in 15+ years but they didn't care, that was the end of conversation. As the saying goes, YMMV and you might get a different response today. Things change and they have a good reputation for handling claims well.

Currently using Foremost insurance. Very reasonable rates for "agreed value" replacement coverage plus liability. No claim experience though so I can't comment on that.

PS -- When shopping get "agreed value" vs. market or depreciated value. That way, if you have a loss and they "total" the boat you know what you'll get and, it will hopefully be enough to cover what you paid for it.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 08:26   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I suggest you work through an insurance agent. The agent will be able to match you to a company that will give coverage matched to your needs.

My agent, Peter Tyson Peter R. Tyson, Inc. – Yacht & Aircraft Insurance , put me with Chubb Insurance. My boat was sunk a few weeks ago in Hurricane Irma. Chubb has been wonderful to deal with.

I had an "Agreed Value" policy. In less than a week after the hurricane they had looked at the boat and asked me where to send the check.
Old 21-10-2017, 08:28   #10

Boat: Rawson 30PH

Find a good insurance broker that focuses on marine insurance. After trying all the usual companies, a broker got me a policy tailored to my needs and saved me money too😀 .... plus a lot of aggravation.
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 08:51   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
I have a "coastal" policy that's good out to 75 NM (maybe 100 I forget) for all of North America, I'm not familiar with why a 12 mile limit would be imposed.
Between boats I was advised by my insurer not to cancel the policy on the sold boat, I'd call them and they'd make it "Inactive" (no premiums) then the new boat would be insured by phone later under the same policy.
Where do you mean by "outside the US", as stated mine's good for US and Canada but I need to get an additional short term "Rider" or coverage for Mexico and Hawaii.
Years ago when I sailed to Mexico I had a policy that was like that. 75 miles from the US coast. I figured it was a loophole they hadnt closed. But they still do that huh?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 08:54   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
I see you have a Telstar. Before I bought my boat I looked at a couple of them. One of the reasons I did not like the Telstar was that they are not really a boat most folks would want to make long passages in. In fact unless you are going some place like the Bahamas I would not suggest taking one more that 12 miles from the coast.

Not sure about your plans to sail "outside the US" but again while the Bahamas is a possibility no place else seems realistic to me; except maybe something like the Sea of Cortez but that can be done staying inside the 12 mile limit.

On the other hand the Telstar can be folded up and put on a trailer. It is common for insurance companies to offer deeply discounted rates for the months a boat is kept on a trailer. Especially if you are dealing with a company that has agents that know something about boats.

One thing I have found is that you will have to do your own footwork and contact the companies on your own. If you deal with a CU like USAA you may be able to call up. Progressive, GEICO, and State Farm are also options. My advice would be to first call you car insurance agent (I assume you have one) and ask about additional boat coverage. If you are not happy then start with the three I mentioned. Make sure when you first call you stress you want to speak to someone about boat insurance; not just the next available agent.

Thanks Tom......very sound advice!!

Bahamas is pretty much all we plan on sailing right now. We have been there before and chartered bare boat, so we know what to expect. I have several ASA certifications from a few years ago, so I am hoping that helps with insurance. I am getting my main coverage through my car insurance. I have an excellent reputation with them so full coverage on the boat and trailer is cheap enough you would not believe me if I told you what is was.....but they won't do over 12 miles out!

We live in South Dakota and farm here, so winter time we enjoy going somewhere warm for a month or two and we love sailing. Our first choice was a small cat (my wife isn't fond of healing) or a small mono hull. The reason we didn't go this route is we have talked to many people that have and gave it up because of the high cost. It's cheaper to bare boat charter by far, but then you are always dragging all your stuff with you and sailing a boat you aren't familiar with.

With the Telstar we can load the boat up with all we need, modify it if we wish and pull it to any destination. No slip fees, no haul out fees, very low insurance, and I can use my fully equipped shop here in South Dakota for maintenance and modifications. That's really a biggy to me cause I am pretty much a "do it your selfer" so I really get nervous with people working on my stuff.

Of course for what you gain there are things you give up. We have limited room and I am a incurable pack rat, so that's a big problem. One must be very in tune with the weather, not so bad cause with farming (and I also am a pilot) that is second nature for us. Pulling a boat 2000 miles is a bit of a chore, especially over icy and snowy, windy and winding roads. You get the idea and list goes on, but the costs are definitely inviting enough we are hoping it works out!!

If you have any other advice I am all ears. I will get on the phone and start calling some of the companies you list...wish me luck!!

Randy
Old 21-10-2017, 08:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I suggest you work through an insurance agent. The agent will be able to match you to a company that will give coverage matched to your needs.

My agent, Peter Tyson Peter R. Tyson, Inc. – Yacht & Aircraft Insurance , put me with Chubb Insurance. My boat was sunk a few weeks ago in Hurricane Irma. Chubb has been wonderful to deal with.

I had an "Agreed Value" policy. In less than a week after the hurricane they had looked at the boat and asked me where to send the check.
Thanks, sounds like someone I want to do business with!! Sorry to hear about your boat. Unfortunately the only time you know if you have a good agent is when something like that happens. I will give him a call.
Old 21-10-2017, 09:01   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I approached BoatUS a few years ago for a quote. They were much higher than other quotes I got at the time, and then when they found out I have a tri they said they don't insure multis. I said I don't race and hadn't had a claim in 15+ years but they didn't care, that was the end of conversation. As the saying goes, YMMV and you might get a different response today. Things change and they have a good reputation for handling claims well.

Currently using Foremost insurance. Very reasonable rates for "agreed value" replacement coverage plus liability. No claim experience though so I can't comment on that.

PS -- When shopping get "agreed value" vs. market or depreciated value. That way, if you have a loss and they "total" the boat you know what you'll get and, it will hopefully be enough to cover what you paid for it.
Thanks, that's the kind of info I need. Its so easy when you are new at getting insurance that you overlook if you don't get good advice.
Old 21-10-2017, 09:11   #15

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

What has Sailing Naked got to do with Boat Insurance?
You are welcome to sail naked around me anytime. LOL
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail