Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2012, 14:12   #1

Boat: Rafiki 37
Should I propose?

Does it make any difference anywhere in the world whether a couple is legally married or not?

My "wife" and I have been in a common-law relationship for going on 25 years now. No problem here in Canada, but I've been wondering if we might run into challenges when dealing with foreign bureaucracies, particularly in places like the Caribbean, Polynesia or asia.

Should we invest in fake wedding rings, or should I just propose and stop living in sin?
Old 16-04-2012, 14:16   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Re: Should I propose?

ASk Her!! No one eles cares!!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 14:18   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

I would think if something happened to one of you, it could be more difficult not being married.

At a minimum, make sure anything you own has both your names on it. That certainly gives you legal claim to it if something happens to either one of you. I have a friend dealing with this now and while it's not a big deal and marriage wouldn't have solved all the hurdles, having both names on any legal ownership documents probably would have.

You'd probably also want documents that gives each other the ability to make medical decisions if you are incapacitated. I believe Marriage would negate the need for that?
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 14:22   #4
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It'll only be a real problem if you wanna book a hotel room in a moslem country. Now, at the current rate of growth, I guess Islam will dominate the Caribbean in about twenty years, but which time you probably won't be that bothered about sharing a room. Of course, Polynesia and Asia are already getting there...
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 14:27   #5

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Does it make any difference anywhere in the world whether a couple is legally married or not?

My "wife" and I have been in a common-law relationship for going on 25 years now. No problem here in Canada, but I've been wondering if we might run into challenges when dealing with foreign bureaucracies, particularly in places like the Caribbean, Polynesia or asia.

Should we invest in fake wedding rings, or should I just propose and stop living in sin?
after 25 years,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, let us know if she says yes if you have the courage to propose.

Thats what started my divorce,,we got married

captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 14:30   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Mike, I doubt anyone cares if you are married but common-law marriages just aren't going to buy you all the same legal status. You get hurt in a foreign port, flown out, she has to take the boat. Wat, who's name is on the papers? Who is she? Will a hospital even let this stranger know your condition, and vice versa?

Marriages get more respect than common law, how that plays is going to depend on exactly where you play it, and how the rest of your paperwork is or isn't in order.

If you were married but kept separate surnames and had no proof of the relationship? You might still have problems.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 14:33   #7

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60

That’s funny when you stop and think about it. Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.

At my house we had a rule. First one out takes the kids. No way anyone wanted that deal.
mikefp60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 14:34   #8

Boat: Bayliner Victoria 2750
Send a message via Yahoo to Astral Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
It'll only be a real problem if you wanna book a hotel room in a moslem country. Now, at the current rate of growth, I guess Islam will dominate the Caribbean in about twenty years, but which time you probably won't be that bothered about sharing a room. Of course, Polynesia and Asia are already getting there...
Having never been to a Muslim country, I thought you might have been joking. I researched the hotel thing, and wow...I never thought about it but true, it makes perfect sense. Morocco and UAE are definitely on our itineraries for our cruising future. I will definitely pay more attention to the need to be able to "prove" our marriage. Thanks for the wake up call.
Astral Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 14:44   #9

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Mike, I doubt anyone cares if you are married but common-law marriages just aren't going to buy you all the same legal status. You get hurt in a foreign port, flown out, she has to take the boat. Wat, who's name is on the papers? Who is she? Will a hospital even let this stranger know your condition, and vice versa?

If you were married but kept separate surnames and had no proof of the relationship? You might still have problems.
Thanks Hello & Saucy (et al.), these are the issues I'm trying to get at. Even if we were to get married, she ain't gonna change her name (and neither am I!). So even if we were married, we'd still have to carry legal documents. Correct?

If it came to that, couldn't I just create a fake marriage certificate, get some rings, and whalla! Married. Wouldn't that work? Or is marriage status encoded in modern passports?

All our legal documents (ownerships, bank accounts, etc) are already joint.
Old 16-04-2012, 15:05   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
...................., or should I just propose and stop living in sin?
yes!

I matters or people wouldn't be trying to say it doesn't.
Old 16-04-2012, 15:07   #11
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
In most countries spouses are given more legal acknowledgement than cohabiting couples even though the situation is changing here and there.

Dave
Old 16-04-2012, 15:15   #12

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

Once you marry her, it can only end in death or divorce.........(sarcasm font needed)
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 15:15   #13
Armchair Bucketeer

Apart from the practical / legal side (money and assets), in circumstances where being next of kin is important being married means the surviving spouse is in control pf events rather than an "in law". The risk being that they end up "at the back of the bus".

At Xmas I went to a funeral of a fella who wasn't married to his "common law" wife (a couple of kids and 10 years? - both in late 30's), she got cut out of the entire service (mentioned the kids - but not one squeak about either her or their life together!)....but she wasn't next of kin so the funeral wasn't her call to make. I can only guess at the stuff underlying all that - and some things you only find out the hardway.......

Dead people and families - you just can't make it up (double that if money involved ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 15:37   #14

Boat: Reinell 26 "Tobi Maru

Quote:
or should I just propose and stop living in sin?
What dogmatic and confining statement, it pays no respect to the relationship you have sustained for the past quarter century, and that is far more important than some religious ideal.

Of the legal aspect, marriage is a partnership that establishes claim to common property, and in absence of a will, it convey survivor-ship in probate law. In the US there are some tax breaks for married tax payers.

Your travels should have no bearing on your marital status. Especially, if the both of you have the same citizenship.

Besides, If you want a happy fulfilling relationship built on continual loving effort then dont get married. Many people stop putting in the necessary effort after they say "I do" IMO
Old 16-04-2012, 15:50   #15

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Yes, some hospitals, with their interpretations of privacy laws, can be restrictive of anyone who can't prove they have a right to visit you. It would be a bummer to be in the ER and your significant other being kept from seeing you. Perhaps giving her something like a "health care power of attorney" and authorization could help in these situation.