Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-06-2014, 11:29   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Schengen Question

I never thought I would be in this position, but since I have been almost continuously in the Schengen zone since 5 May, I'm -- as a non-European citizen -- running out of Schengen Days.

I'm in Eastern Finland within sight of Russia, and need to get 1500 miles back to the UK at some point by the end of the summer. It took me a month to get here (single handing a good bit of the way), and it was not a leisurely cruise at all -- it was pretty hard going sometimes against the wind and making 100 miles, plus or minus, every day, stopping in some port every night to rest and pressing on the next day.

I don't say it wasn't fun -- actually, it was a f-----g blast, a magical passage jam-packed with all kinds of impressions. But on the way back I want to smell the roses a bit more. And Schengen is conspiring against me

So here is one idea I had to reduce the Schengen problem --

what if I sail to St. Petersburg (I need fuel anyway, and it's half the price there and 100% dino juice with no FAME in it), and clear in to Russia. Then clear out with a passage plan to -- Kaliningrad. Nonstop, as if.

And so I make my way to Kaliningrad, stopping off only to anchor out and rest. Not going into any port. Innocent passage through Estonian and Latvian waters. Arrive in Kaliningrad maybe 6 days later (6 x 100 miles), and I've knocked out 600 miles of my passage back towards Kiel without using up any more of my Schengen days. From there I can proceed unhurriedly along the Polish and German coasts and spend some time in the interesting places (Gdansk, Luebeck, etc, etc).

What do y'all think? Is this abusing the idea of "innocent passage"?

Old 30-06-2014, 12:16   #2

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch
Re: Schengen Question

Since you got some work in Finland might be easy to get a working visa?

Old 30-06-2014, 12:24   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Since you got some work in Finland might be easy to get a working visa?
I could have a Finnish residence permit (no such thing here as a working visa) in two weeks. But it doesn't help me -- because (a) my days will be clicking off as I wait for it; and (b) it doesn't stop the clock when I'm outside of Finland.

It would have helped if I had done it in advance!! But I was not so smart
Old 30-06-2014, 14:28   #4

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch

Bummer..
Anyway the route from St Petersburg to Kaliningrad would be on international sea so no other transit worries except commercial traffic is quite busy on the controlled lines. Might have some restrictions for private boating.
Old 30-06-2014, 18:11   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Yeah, if you drop the pick you are not transiting and must clear in.

Go to Russia for a bit then do a non-stop passage back to Keil.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 19:30   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Yeah, if you drop the pick you are not transiting and must clear in.

Go to Russia for a bit then do a non-stop passage back to Keil.
Bingo...

It's been a long habit for sport fisherman to fish Malaysia waters. Sometimes they drop the hook. If the Malaysians want to get nasty - and they did to a guy a couple months back - they can bust you. Chased him all the way back to Singapore.

Is this a boat importation problem or a visa problem? can you make a visa jump by air?

Have you looked into an extension?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:04   #7
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

You can enter Denmark for 90 days after your schengen has run out

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 01-07-2014, 03:45   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
You can enter Denmark for 90 days after your schengen has run out

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I live here (Denmark) and I've never heard of this - are you sure?
Old 01-07-2014, 03:54   #9
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Schengen Question

Either way it does not resolve Dockheads problem.. short of leaving the boat till October..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:59   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Either way it does not resolve the problem.. short of leaving the boat till October..
Well Dockhead - you can always leave the boat at my house

I promise I won't sail it (much) and I promise that your spacious wine cellar will still be spacious (albeit empty)

carsten
Old 01-07-2014, 04:17   #11

AFAIK it 's not possible to enter Russia without permit and invitation, in particular Kaliningrad (former Königsberg ).
Could be a long way to get it..
Old 01-07-2014, 04:20   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

LOL.

Thanks for all the good info. I guess innocent passage without crew is out.

I have no boat importation problem as the boat is UK flagged. I can leave her anywhere, and with the Baltic's cheap berthing it's really no problem.

I don't need a visa as U.S. citizen but I still have to deal with the 90/180 Schengen rule.

I guess the answer is going to be taking on some crew and knocking out part of the passage nonstop in order to save Schengen days. I guess I could take Russian crew at St. Petersburg to do St. P. -- Kaliningrad truly nonstop and truly innocently. That should appeal to some Russian sailors who then wouldn't need any Schengen visa.

I am considering sailing to Vyborg or St. Petersburg anyway for fuel -- costs half the price in Finland and to boot has no biodiesel in it (I'm afraid of what the Finnish fuel will do to my engine). As I need more than 600 liters, we're talking about saving about 500 euros.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:23   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellus View Post
AFAIK it 's not possible to enter Russia without permit and invitation, in particular Kaliningrad (former Königsberg ).
Could be a long way to get it..
I have a Russian multientry visa and AFAIK no special permit is needed -- although you do have to inform Russian Coast Guard and border guards you are coming.

I think it's recommended to use an agent, however. I am in touch with that Vladimir Ivankiv guy in St. Petersburg everyone likes so much.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:28   #14
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
So here is one idea I had to reduce the Schengen problem --
what if I sail to St. Petersburg (I need fuel anyway, and it's half the price there and 100% dino juice with no FAME in it), and clear in to Russia. Then clear out with a passage plan to -- Kaliningrad. Nonstop, as if. [...]

And so I make my way to Kaliningrad, stopping off only to anchor out and rest. Not going into any port. [...]

From there I can proceed unhurriedly along the Polish and German coasts and spend some time in the interesting places (Gdansk, Luebeck, etc, etc).
From experience of my fellow sailors, even transiting Russian waters is a kind of a roulette. Sometimes there are no problems, sometimes you get boarded and stuff gets 'taken' (incl. money, foods). Hard to argue with armed vessel and its crew.. Not saying it will happen to you, but it might. Possibly a lot depends on vessel's flag..

Kaliningrad as a whole is a military area and an important one for Russians. Don't think you can just 'drop the hook' there.

If you find time to visit Gdańsk and want some local guidance, send me a PM.

BTW, unless your fuel system is old and has FAME-incompatible components (mainly rubber seals/o-rings) or has a lot of accumulated crud, there is nothing wrong with FAME. It is a very powerful solvent, so the inside of the whole fuel system is spotlessly clean, which is a good thing.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:58   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I have a Russian multientry visa and AFAIK no special permit is needed -- although you do have to inform Russian Coast Guard and border guards you are coming.

I think it's recommended to use an agent, however. I am in touch with that Vladimir Ivankiv guy in St. Petersburg everyone likes so much.
Anyway here are some info's from a german crew in 2012

Important documents:

Crew list (you should have in sufficient quantity, they are collected as desired)
Copy of passport of the skipper
(Also copy visa page!)
Copy of the certificate of international boat
(a proof of ownership is required!)
Not on the go, be with the own yacht, you need a confirmation of the owner, that you can't be on the road with the yacht
(if applicable Charter contract)

It is important to have all documents in the original it and smarter is way more than a copy to share. Despite the bureaucracy, or because of it, copies disappear sometimes, so you must put everything on the table twice...

Another feature, you should consider that many Russians do not speak English upon entry. And this is unfortunately also on the Russian coastguard. In this respect is to enhance listening watch on channel 16 (or the respective channel is specified in). The Russian coastguard invokes an often without even the ship's name to mention or the word "sailing boat/vessel" in Russian. Even if it tried to act and gets the Russian coastguard by itself, it can happen that you get no answer. It is important for those arriving after Baltiysk: man gets six miles off Baltiysk on channel 74 "Baltiysk traffic" and asks permission to retract. Listening watch is to continue on channel 74. The check is carried out at Pier 81. This is extra for small ships with wood clad and in accordance with flat, so that can be set easily with small yachts

For directions to St. Petersburg you should refer the Cruiser Department mandatory. Call i.e. near Gogland "Velboot" on channel 16 and with a certain intensity, because now they don't answer that. Kronstadt is then to call "Granit" on Channel 6 and then it goes directly to the Terminal D - to the check. However, you should bear in mind also: it changes all the time slightly. In this respect, it makes sense to inform again shortly before the trip, and if necessary via radio have confirmed the clearing Pier. We have had a "translator" often in radio communications: a Russian sailing yacht or the pilot or St. Petersburg traffic. You get so no contact to the Russian coastguard it offered, to ask St. Petersburg traffic translation help. Unless you step in time with the Russian coastguard in contact, then really come in a small speedboat over and come quite quickly on board. This is certainly not very beautiful, but not too dramatic. Depending on the size of the ship, then three or four officials aboard, which require some formal details coming. After about half an hour, the haunting is then over. Typically, one of the officials speaks a few English words, so that the communication somehow works.

Sorry , it ś translated by BING

Port of Entry Sankt-Petersburg, Fort KONSTANTIN
(Island of Kotlin, Kronstadt)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: