Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-07-2014, 09:34   #31

Re: Schengen Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Thanks for that. I can read and speak German, so maybe a link to the original source?
Russland unter Segeln – Siljas und Jans Fazit -- boot Messe

Old 01-07-2014, 09:39   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Dockhead - I asked the question - What if an american boat was arriving in Denmark straight from the US - i.e. no stopping in any other schengen or EU country.

For all intents and purposes - it is not possible. There is no place you can find this information, and as my experience shows -- the Tax and Customs people don't know the answer.

I should mention that I was calling in my official capacity as Cruising Cosnsutlant for the Danish Sailing Association, so it was not just some nobody calling for information.
How is that possible? Copenhagen is a legal port of entry! Non-EU yachts, just like any other vessel or aircraft, are obligated by EU (and not just Danish) law to report to customs and clear in when arriving from outside the EU. The customs officials are obligated to control entry of foreign vessels, whether they are ships or yachts, and are obligated to collect duty where it is due and to enforce the customs laws of the country. It may be that the officials are clueless, that they have little experience with yachts, but it doesn't change their obligations. Or more importantly -- yours!!

A Port of Entry is a place where foreign ships have the right to enter and present themselves to customs and immigration. See: Port of entry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. For a port to have the status of a Port of Entry, it must have a permanent customs and immigration presence.

So it must be possible to clear customs in Copenhagen. It is certainly illegal to just tie up in Copenhagen after arriving directly from the Channel Islands (or America) in a non-EU boat with non-EU citizens on board and just walk off the boat with bags of goods for sale.

I admit, however, that the extreme laxity of some of these controls in Europe is bizarre. I found it almost impossible to get my passport stamped in France and Belgium when arriving from the UK, although clearly I was required. I was told (by officials!) that I didn't need to; or that it's not possible. Found offices closed, officials absent, and was forced to sail on to the next port. Then after finally finding someone, got a stern lecture about not having gotten my passport stamped within 24 hours after first entry, although that would have been physically impossible as all the offices were closed for days. Rather Kafkaesque. But I learned not to believe the apparent laxity -- a violation, even one encouraged by an official who doesn't really understand his country's own rules, can really bite you in the behind.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:00   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
How is that possible? Copenhagen is a legal port of entry! Non-EU yachts, just like any other vessel or aircraft, are obligated by EU (and not just Danish) law to report to customs and clear in when arriving from outside the EU. The customs officials are obligated to control entry of foreign vessels, whether they are ships or yachts, and are obligated to collect duty where it is due and to enforce the customs laws of the country. It may be that the officials are clueless, that they have little experience with yachts, but it doesn't change their obligations. Or more importantly -- yours!!

A Port of Entry is a place where foreign ships have the right to enter and present themselves to customs and immigration. See: Port of entry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. For a port to have the status of a Port of Entry, it must have a permanent customs and immigration presence.

So it must be possible to clear customs in Copenhagen. It is certainly illegal to just tie up in Copenhagen after arriving directly from the Channel Islands (or America) in a non-EU boat with non-EU citizens on board and just walk off the boat with bags of goods for sale.

I admit, however, that the extreme laxity of some of these controls in Europe is bizarre. I found it almost impossible to get my passport stamped in France and Belgium when arriving from the UK, although clearly I was required. I was told (by officials!) that I didn't need to; or that it's not possible. Found offices closed, officials absent, and was forced to sail on to the next port. Then after finally finding someone, got a stern lecture about not having gotten my passport stamped within 24 hours after first entry, although that would have been physically impossible as all the offices were closed for days. Rather Kafkaesque. But I learned not to believe the apparent laxity -- a violation, even one encouraged by an official who doesn't really understand his country's own rules, can really bite you in the behind.
What can I sy? I live right on the harbour in downtown copenhagen. I know the harbour intimately. I would have a clue where to send you to clear in.

Checking noonsite - tells you nothing. The marina masters in Copenhagen will die laughing if you ask them where you can clear in.

sorry - just can't be done.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:26   #34

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch

A visit to airport if there's nobody on the dock? Anyway that's what I did in Bonaire when the port imigration was closed.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:28   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
What can I sy? I live right on the harbour in downtown copenhagen. I know the harbour intimately. I would have a clue where to send you to clear in.

Checking noonsite - tells you nothing. The marina masters in Copenhagen will die laughing if you ask them where you can clear in.

sorry - just can't be done.
So I can just sail in with a boat load of Somalis, unload them, and sell them into slavery, without any customs officials ever asking for any documents? Good to know.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:45   #36

Quote:
So I can just sail in with a boat load of Somalis, unload them, and sell them into slavery, without any customs officials ever asking for any documents? Good to know.
For Germany I can say that borders are open but police (Bundespolizei / Kstenwache) are watching all traffic from a distance, even customs (Zoll).
Usually Somalis and other will be catched in Germany when they are on the way to Denmark. Often runners with tons of Qat were catched here.

Just read in an aircraft forum about an equal topic, private pilots get the same problems: often they are landing on small places and need to get in with contact customs and /or police but offices are closed. Some had hassle with customs and were filed. Some had to pay tax for its own aircraft again.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:14   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Denmark has no coast guard per se. these activities fall under the domain of the normal police.

But don't think no one is watching - I suspect that a boatload of somali's would be noticed before arriving in the harbour.
Old 02-07-2014, 14:43   #38
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Schengen Question

Unfortunately its not uncommon now in many med and EU countries to have great difficulty in formally clearing in especially in major leisure ports. This is especially true of non Schengen EU passport holders.

I was in Brest recently arriving on a yacht with a mix of UK and Irish passport holders. We given a global wave of the hand when we tried to seek immigration

Dave
Old 02-07-2014, 15:40   #39

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40

Just come to Sweden and claim asylum. We have an open door policy here and soon enough schengen will not be a worry for you
Old 02-07-2014, 17:20   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Useful contacts for Kaliningrad:

1. Konstantin Maletckij
President of Kaliningrad Regional Sailing Federation
yachtclub.kd@mail.ru

2. Roman Medvedev
Commander of Kaliningrad Regional Yacht Club
romanklgd@gmail.com