Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2014, 11:54   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Schengen caution on the North Atlantic circuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Schengen is only EU countries. . .
Schengen is not co-extensive with the EU. Four non-EU countries belong to the Schengen Zone (Norway, Switzerland, Iceland, and Liechtenstein), and six EU countries (including UK, Republic of Ireland, and several Eastern European countries) do not belong to Schengen. Schengen is a separate treaty or convention.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 11:57   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
. . .

But an important point from the OP is that I would never have guessed that when leaving from St Pierre et Miquelon, they would then count your time at sea crossing the Atlantic, as 'in Schengen'. That seems quite odd and I would not have expected it.

I wonder if you had cleared for 'the high seas' or the UK (eg somewhere not in schengen) rather than for 'the azores' (eg somewhere in Schengen) if that would have stopped the clock.
He's right -- you are not required to clear out of Schengen if you are on passage -- even on the high seas -- to another Schengen state, and once arriving there you don't have to clear in. So all that time runs down your clock.

You should clear out and get your passport stamped. I don't think you even need to declare your destination, you just say you're leaving; I have never seen anything like a "zarpa" in Europe.
Old 20-10-2014, 12:04   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Garfield View Post
I actually thought this visa reqqy is total days per year.No?
Certainly exit clerance/passport stamped exit stops and starts upon next Shengen entry.

Help me out here ????
90 out of any 180 day period. This is a very burdensome and controversial part of the Schengen rules which is supposed to be changed next year.

I have been almost continuously in the Schengen Zone for more than half a year, and during that time have crossed borders into and out of the Zone on an almost weekly basis. But my clock ran out in late July.

I have been boarded three times during this time with all passports checked, and I have crossed in and out of the Schengen Zone during this time many times by air, ferry, train, etc.

I was so worried about the 90 out of 180 rule that I got a Finnish residence permit -- which was a lot of expense and trouble.

But not one single time has any official even asked any question or said one word about my status, and I have never shown the residence permit to any soul.

I'm not suggesting that anyone should ignore the rule -- there are some bad stories about people who ran afoul of it -- but for whatever it is worth, that has been my experience.
Old 20-10-2014, 12:15   #19

dockhead, are you a British national?

A national of any EU country has unlimited travel in other EU countries. UK is not Schengen but it is EU.

edited to add...If you're not an EU national, then perhaps the border people don't want to go through your passport and add up all those days.
cattar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 12:31   #20

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

To the OP.
Horta runs a great business doing importation of boats and VAT settlements. It is one of their main forex earners. You will always get a stricter story in Horta than anywhere else. I have been there several times, with different flags, and the non EU flagged checkins were always with much tutting and frowning.

Your best bet is to read the Shengen agreement online. Not all EU states are party to it. Most of the people I know who have been Shengen subject, (Including myself at some time) have found things a lot easier in practice than in theory.

Some European countries are in Shengen but not in EU, others are in EU but not Shengen so you can pop out of the EU into another Shengen Country etc. All of these can help your timers.

You can also apply for a "Long Stay" Shengen Visa or Class "D" , it costs 39 Euros more and you need to have more documents to explain your story, boat papers, proof of funds for the duration without working etc...

Frequently Asked Questions about Schengen Visa
Old 20-10-2014, 12:39   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattar View Post
dockhead, are you a British national?

A national of any EU country has unlimited travel in other EU countries. UK is not Schengen but it is EU.

edited to add...If you're not an EU national, then perhaps the border people don't want to go through your passport and add up all those days.
No, I'm a Yank by passport.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 20-10-2014, 13:15   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
You can also apply for a "Long Stay" Shengen Visa or Class "D" , it costs 39 Euros more and you need to have more documents to explain your story, boat papers, proof of funds for the duration without working etc...

Frequently Asked Questions about Schengen Visa
The long stay visa, from all research and reports is extremely difficult and only given for certain special situations and not for tourists and visitors. From the link you posted.

The national visa of “D” category is granted to the certain individuals who are to be studying, working or permanently residing in one of the Schengen countries. The national visa can be of a single entry, granted for the people who are in need of residing in the Schengen country for a certain period of time and for a sole purpose after which they shall return to their country. On the other hand a multi-entry national visa is also granted for certain individuals allowing its holder to travel in and out of this Schengen country as he/she pleases and also travel throughout the whole Schengen Area without additional visa requirements.
In order to obtain a multi entry national visa, one must meet the certain criteria:
    • An international student program will grant a visa for a period of not more than one year.
    • An international student that is about to start a full course of studies in one of the Schengen countries. Again the visa is issued for a period of one year with the possibility of extending it.
    • A pedagogical work at a higher institution or research center in any of the Schengen countries, regarding the person and its close family members.
    • A professional who is traveling in any of the Schengen countries due to its expertise be it a sportsman, an artist or any other professional of its kind with the purpose of sharing its expertise.
    • Emergency cases as a medical condition that prevents the individual to leave the Schengen Area at the designated time frame .
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 14:09   #23

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

i started a thread on the Schengren issue a bit ago

a lot of information here

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ed-126931.html

When we sailed over we stopped in the Azores and when we left for the mainland we actually stamped out and then stamped in again when we arrived in Lagos Portugal. Saved the sailing days.

It is an issue and something you have to learn to live with. But read the above thread.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 15:05   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

But not one single time has any official even asked any question or said one word about my status,

I'm not suggesting that anyone should ignore the rule -- there are some bad stories about people who ran afoul of it -- but for whatever it is worth, that has been my experience.
For what it was worth that was my experience also. I spent a year travelling primarily between France and Holland, with a couple trips to Switzerland and Italy. No-one ever looked at my passport, until I actually flew home at the end, and they did not say anything then.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 15:40   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
No, I'm a Yank by passport.

Is it not possible to get a Finnish passport being only a resident?
waggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 15:43   #26

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post

It is an issue and something you have to learn to live with
Not this guy! Florida to Azores, Medeira, Canaries, and back across to Florida (via the E Caribbean)

Matt
Old 20-10-2014, 16:28   #27

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle

It seems the rules are subject to the interpretation of whoever is holding the stamp. After much photo copying of documents, not so polite comments about the French and phone calls to bosses, it was decided that I needed a proper immigration stamp into the area, so I was officially stamped into the schengen system and given 90 days, starting today. I am aware of the shengen and EU rules but had not looked at it closely as I was not planning to be in the area long enough for it to be a concern. I was a bit surprised when I was told my time had started on entry into St Pierre and included the time at sea as I had never heard of that before.
I did get clearance to sail on leaving St Pierre, but no exit stamp in the passport.
Praia da Vitoria on Terciera seems a little more easygoing in the paperwork than Horta, maybe because they don't get as much transient traffic.
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 12:47   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggy View Post

Is it not possible to get a Finnish passport being only a resident?
I have no idea. And it does not particularly interest me.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 21-10-2014, 14:13   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

From an observer standpoint and someone who wants to spend a few years in Europe studying the culture, it seems like everyone who is joining this agreement is limiting the amount of tourist $$ going their way.
I guess I will spend a lot of time in UK and the rock, or flying back to the US.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 14:48   #30

Schengen country officials love tourists to return.
Some UK agents get crabby about repeated returns between Schengen visits. UK countries are well worth visiting, too.
cattar is offline   Reply With Quote