Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2017, 03:32   #1

Scandinavian flags (Norway, Sweden, Denmark) - any complications?

I am thinking about buying a boat from Scandinavia, as a non-EU resident.

Do any Scandinavian flags come with head("wallet")ache that's best to avoid? I am interested in all aspects, VAT (I know, Norway is not EU, I can live with that), radio licensing, taxes, regulations for skippers certificate, obligatory equipment list, commercial activities abroad, etc-etc.
Old 24-09-2017, 04:45   #2

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Scandinavian flags (Norway, Sweden, Denmark) - any complications?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
I am thinking about buying a boat from Scandinavia, as a non-EU resident.

Do any Scandinavian flags come with head("wallet")ache that's best to avoid? I am interested in all aspects, VAT (I know, Norway is not EU, I can live with that), radio licensing, taxes, regulations for skippers certificate, obligatory equipment list, commercial activities abroad, etc-etc.
I can only tell you about Denmark. There are no requirements whatsoever except that you must have 1 personal floatation device per peson on board. Aside from that you can do what you want(assuming this is a sialboat)

If it is a power boat- you need a power boaters license if the engine is over 20HP (this is not completely correct - but the correct formula is cmplicated and not worth getting in to)

All the above assume you want to keep and sail the boat in Denamrk - if you sail outside - then nothing

If course the boat does have to uphold all the international regulations re: navigation lights etc

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 05:08   #3

Sounds good! Do they accept the RYA SRC radio certification?
Old 24-09-2017, 07:01   #4

Boat: Boreal 47

There are a couple of other issues with Denmark, some or all of which may not apply to you:
  1. There is a tax of 1.34 % of the value of the boat per year if you insure it for its value (no issue with liability insurance). But it only applies for the days of the year when the boat is in Denmark (I am sure about that) and it probably does not apply if the owner is not from Denmark even when the boat is in Denmark (but you should check that).
  2. Regarding the tax, make sure you do not register the boat in Denmark. This makes you have to pay the tax even when not in Denmark. Yes, pleasure boats in Denmark are generally not registered.
  3. The fact that the boat is not registered sometimes confuses the customs/border patrol people from other countries. I generally just use my MMSI as the registration number when asked. It has been fine so far.
  4. If the boat is more than 15 meters long, you need quite a lot of certifications to use it. The formula for the length of the boat is complicated, but as far as I know tends to be smaller than LOA. If the boat is less than 15 meters with a small engine, you need no certifications.
  5. If the boat has more than around 1.000 hp you need an extra engine certification apart from the powerboat certification Carsten mentioned (the extra course is 2-3 days, so not a big issue).
BjarneK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 07:30   #5

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
Sounds good! Do they accept the RYA SRC radio certification?
Your SRC certification is good worldwide

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 24-09-2017, 07:32   #6

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BjarneK View Post
There are a couple of other issues with Denmark, some or all of which may not apply to you:
  1. There is a tax of 1.34 % of the value of the boat per year if you insure it for its value (no issue with liability insurance). But it only applies for the days of the year when the boat is in Denmark (I am sure about that) and it probably does not apply if the owner is not from Denmark even when the boat is in Denmark (but you should check that).
  2. Regarding the tax, make sure you do not register the boat in Denmark. This makes you have to pay the tax even when not in Denmark. Yes, pleasure boats in Denmark are generally not registered.
  3. The fact that the boat is not registered sometimes confuses the customs/border patrol people from other countries. I generally just use my MMSI as the registration number when asked. It has been fine so far.
  4. If the boat is more than 15 meters long, you need quite a lot of certifications to use it. The formula for the length of the boat is complicated, but as far as I know tends to be smaller than LOA. If the boat is less than 15 meters with a small engine, you need no certifications.
  5. If the boat has more than around 1.000 hp you need an extra engine certification apart from the powerboat certification Carsten mentioned (the extra course is 2-3 days, so not a big issue).
I agree with Bjarne re: boats over 15 meters and if you sail them south beyond the Jersey Islands (you need even more certifications - but that is only for Danish flagged boats - If you flag it in another country then it is that country's rules that count.

Old 24-09-2017, 11:29   #7

Thank you for all, Denmark seems to be clear! It will be a 31' (~9.5m) boat, however 35HP engine. I'll have an RYA coastal sailing ticket soon, maybe I should take a powerboat add-on too.

Quote:
you need a power boaters license if the engine is over 20HP (this is not completely correct - but the correct formula is cmplicated and not worth getting in to)
Registration/tax - I have to check, sounds like inviting trouble leaving the boat unregistered, non-danish citizen/resident with an unregistered danish boat trying to cross Panama, visit a Russian port, etc... I'd keep the paperwork as clean as possible.

Anything regarding Sweden?
Old 24-09-2017, 11:50   #8

Boat: Southern Cross 35' Cutter - FrPol & H-boat 26' - Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to svrodeorm

What with Sweden?

Quite similar as for Denmark or Finland for that matter.

The pivotal question is what flag you'll register the boat under?

As for Sweden, any vessel has to be owned at least 50% by a Swedish national or company.

It's the rules of the country under which flag you want to register that counts.
Old 24-09-2017, 13:17   #9

Scandinavian flags (Norway, Sweden, Denmark) - any complications?

Sweden does not have a boat register and anyone is allowed to sail a boat under 12x4 m without certificate. No boat tax exist. No problem going to Sweden and buy boat and just sail away. I would say that Sweden is one of the least controlled countries in the world when it comes to boats strangely enough. Check out https://mobil.blocket.se/hela_sverige/batar?w=3&cg=1060

I would stay out of Norway they are much stricter with boats regarding registration VAT and taxes
Flod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 14:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by svrodeorm View Post
As for Sweden, any vessel has to be owned at least 50% by a Swedish national or company.
That can be a problem... Weird that even the EU-persons/companies are excluded.
Old 24-09-2017, 15:09   #11

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Sweden does have a boat register but you have to be Swedish to register a boat on it.
No requirement in Sweden to register the boat if you buy it but you won't get far before someone in another country wants to see your registration.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 15:10   #12

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Your SRC certification is good worldwide
That statement will not be correct in many combinations of flag country and host country.

It is correct for UK flagged boats sailing in almost every country, but (just as an example) it is not good on a US-flagged recreational vessel sailing outside the US, in which case the operator needs to have a "Restricted" permit from the FCC. I
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 15:15   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Sweden does have a boat register but you have to be Swedish to register a boat on it.
No requirement in Sweden to register the boat if you buy it but you won't get far before someone in another country wants to see your registration.
Exactly the point. Probably still OK with most first world countries(?), but definitely don't want to loose the boat/pay a heavy fine/bribe/whatever somewhere in the middle of the Caribbean.
Old 25-09-2017, 01:47   #14

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Youn wont get far in first world countries either, as soon as you have to check in they will want to see the registration.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 15:43   #15

Boat: Southern Cross 35' Cutter - FrPol & H-boat 26' - Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to svrodeorm

So back to the first question/issue.

Which country Will you register the boat in? From there on it's straight forward.
Asuumong you are a US citizen your register it there and then Check in in whichevet Scandinavia. Country you happen to buy the boat in.

Then there is the option to register elsewhere than your country,but that's another issue all together...

Tags
Denmark, flags, Norway, Sweden