Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-04-2012, 20:02   #16

Re: Sailing Into Other Countries

Don't get nasty folks. Remember the rules of the forum.

Who said I was American?

How come everyone bashes Mexico?

What they get paid isn't a concern you should have.

What job do they do that's so vital?

I'm sure I'll be told soon.

Old 21-04-2012, 20:05   #17

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

I'd recommend any of several cruising guides for a wealth of information on your destanations.
I used Chris Doyles Cruising Guides while in the Caribbean. they always gave complete information as to fees. hours, locations,etc for check-ins.
From 2001 thru 2009 I'd see Chris out there getting info to update his guides and if I experienced something his guides had missed or was in error, I and many others would help him correct his informations.

Old 21-04-2012, 20:48   #18

Interesting attitude concerning being “commanded”, “fleeced”, “fork over” your almighty peso to these foreign bandits! I do trust they will not hinder your self entitlement of personal pleasure while they ALLOW you the courtesy of cruising in THEIR country!

My best unsolicited advice is for you to sit tight, where ever you are, and not allow yourself to knowingly be taken advantage of by these foreign modern day Robin Hoods…unlike I have been for about thirty years now. Who do they think they are anyway?? Silly me…I go willingly to foreign ports of call, complete the necessary paperwork for entry and departure while forking over the commanded $$$’s…when will I ever learn?

Best of luck in your plight…I’m confident you will do well…

Ps: Thanks for TELLING this forum of its own rules, how to act, what to say, what not to say and what we should or should not be concerned with…kinda gives me the “warm and fuzzies”….
Old 21-04-2012, 21:03   #19

Boat: Newport 27 S-II

Oh both of you get over yourselves and take it to personal mail if you wish to continue....
Old 21-04-2012, 21:38   #20

Yeah, there are fees. Sometimes they can run to a few hundred dollars. Big deal. Boating is expensive. The fees here in Palau are on the high side. But there are no sales taxes or VAT and we don't pay Hotel Room taxes. So it works out to bargain. Vote with your sails. Vastly better than getting nicked for tolls and taxes while visiting bleak cities in the US or wherever.
Old 22-04-2012, 04:32   #21
Armchair Bucketeer

You will find that your experiances of dealing with officialdom within Furrinerlands is all the better if you shout loudly, wave your arms around and insist on your "rights". Telling 'em how they should run their country also helps .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 04:56   #22
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
You will find that your experiances of dealing with officialdom within Furrinerlands is all the better if you shout loudly, wave your arms around and insist on your "rights". Telling 'em how they should run their country also helps .
or suggesting the "gunboats" should be sent in to "help"...

dave
Old 22-04-2012, 06:22   #23

Boat: Cal 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDA1 View Post
Don't get nasty folks. Remember the rules of the forum.

Who said I was American?

How come everyone bashes Mexico?

What they get paid isn't a concern you should have.

What job do they do that's so vital?

I'm sure I'll be told soon.

Heh. You are going to have a wonderful time sir. Be sure to ask the Customs guys and gals all these questions. No one seems to understand or care about their onerous tasks and menial pay schedule.

As a newbie to CF, you can't know that David_Old_Jersey is the forum's expert on how to comport oneself in a foreign country. Following his suggestions to the letter will certainly ease your entry hassles. These are just dumbass primitive peoples who can't know who is a real bigshot and who isn't. They need to be told what's what. Especially in Mexico.

Enjoy.
Old 22-04-2012, 06:40   #24
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

talk about a thread turning bad

What generally happens when you couldn't get on the internet for noosite etc and show up all wrongly in a country? Does it become a HUGE hassle or do you they ask you to just leave? How any places require a Vista ahead of time?
Old 22-04-2012, 07:43   #25

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post

What generally happens when you couldn't get on the internet for noosite etc and show up all wrongly in a country? Does it become a HUGE hassle or do you they ask you to just leave? How any places require a Vista ahead of time?
The US requires foreigners to have a visa, from noonsite, so if you are from the US, stop you f******g whining:
All nationalities, whether entering and/or leaving the US by private yacht MUST obtain a visa in advance. Such visitors CANNOT enter the USA for the first time under the Visa Waiver Programme.

Old 22-04-2012, 09:02   #26
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
The US requires foreigners to have a visa, from noonsite, so if you are from the US, stop you f******g whining:
All nationalities, whether entering and/or leaving the US by private yacht MUST obtain a visa in advance. Such visitors CANNOT enter the USA for the first time under the Visa Waiver Programme.

Where was I whining?

PS - are you turning 12 this year or is age not to blame for such a child like post?
Old 22-04-2012, 09:08   #27

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Come on guys, a newbie trolls for comment at 1 am on the east coast and sits back to watch the fur fly.

This forum is better than that - let it go.
Old 22-04-2012, 09:22   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Yep.

Some places are 'like this' while others 'like that'.

Read the CF, browse the Noonsite, get the Reed's & the Doyle's, etc..

Read the many websites of all relevant authorities. Email them, call them.

If you do not like a country for the formalities or otherwise, simply go to another country.

We started cruising when the Internet access was pretty limited, we read xerox copies of 10 y.o. cruising guides. We kept our ears and eyes open for pieces of know-how that circulate in the community. We never ever had problems with any authorities anywhere. (Yes, things did get sour at times, but if someone thinks they will avoid unpleasantries by going cruising then they may just as well stay at home). Why should things be any more difficult now that access to all information is at our fingertips?

And I am talking of an area somewhat larger than the Florida to Tobago pond.

All this throwing mud at Australians, US Americans or otherwise really silly.

b.
Old 22-04-2012, 10:00   #29

Boat: Sea Ray 270
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post

Each country has different rules and exemptions, and they apply differently depending on which country the vessel is flagged and the nationalities of the crew...

For instance, if you suffering from a mechanically break down, most countries in the world will allow you sometime to fix the problem and move on... They may quarrentine your vessel or they may allow you to check in as a visitor... Other countries may impound your vessel and place you in jail.

Your question is vague and frankly, there are very few times I have sail without knowing the proceedures for the countries I am sailing into or by, in case something happens and I have to enter them for weather or mechanical.

But like Captain Ron, I guess you could be traveling in certain places and accidentally find yourself in a foreign port, maybe to to ask directions...

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 10:38   #30

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
... All this throwing mud at Australians, US Americans or otherwise really silly.

b.
I continue to be silly then...

These two large countries have established very restrictive entry procedures. Smaller places are following the lead, Fiji is enforcing a similar rule to the 96h NOA. I worry, it will be getting more difficult to deal with officialdom.

Dirk

Tags
sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: