Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 07:07   #31
cruiser

Re: Safety Inspections in Your Area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
It should be noted that you can invite the USCG to do a free inspection of your boat whenever you want, to make sure you're in compliance.

Sounds odd, but it helps if you're unsure about the regulations. They will tell what you're lacking and prevent you from getting ticketed during a 'real' inspection.
i had that last year, and was told by the uscg aux that I needed FL numbers on my boat and that I couldnt get or be documented...

seems like there is misinformation among the ranks as well, so I would suggest to not rely on most or all of the information 'told' to you by anyone, as it will come down to the words that written in the rules/laws, and the interpretation of the persons issuing any citations..
sailinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:15   #32
cruiser

btw, i been boarded twice... once by the dept of homeland security, (while under sail), and their stated 'main purpose' was to determine places of origin of passengers / crew... but they did do a full inspection, not just safety of the boat... they rummaged thru everything... (they did find contraband from one of my crew who was told prior to not carry anything).. .the qty was low, they asked him if he would 'talk'/divulge information as to where he procurred, and he refused, and they let him/us off with a warning, (while leaving my boat in complete disarray

I was also boarded by the USCG, while on someone else's vessel, (a tug).. they stated they were performing random 'safety checks'... they did just that... they counted life jackets, looked for discharge stickers, etc...

he was warned for not having a throwable cushion...

as for the lock outs for thru hulls... the wye valves have a lockout configuration so it should be easy to put a zip tie into one and show it is not in use ...
sailinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 17:36   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganministry
I was boarded twice by the Coast Guard at the marina in Coos Bay, Oregon.(Power Boat) Both times they were checking safety gear. Once time my flares were out of date. I didn't get a ticket, but was told to replace them before I left the dock. They also asked if I had and Oregon Boaters card (I think that is what they called it). I told them I was from California and that ended that line of questioning. My then 5 year old son received a voucher for a free ice cream since he was wearing his life jacket on the dock.

Once I was checked out by ODFW. They were checking that we had not exceeded our limits of crab and fish.

I've always been treated professionally.

Scott
The ice cream voucher is cool. Sort of a contrast from the typical sterotype of LE. Unless of course they tazed the next kid for not having a jacket on - LOL
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:09   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
My question is "are boat safety inspections (especially boarded inspections) often carried out in your country (or part of the area you operate in) and if so, by whom?"
The answer, obviously, depends entirely on your definition of the word "often."

The U.S. Coast Guard does stop boats, board them, and conduct safety inspections at times. I would say that they do not do that "often." It has happened to me twice now. The first time was about 35 years ago, the second time about 15 years ago. I suppose I am about due for another, at this rate.

Some people that you talk to, however, would give you the impression that every time you cast off from the dock you are almost certain to get stopped and boarded. I suppose they have probably been boarded more than I have. Maybe they are doing something that draws attention to themselves. Maybe they are not. I don't know.

What I do know is that there are some people in the United States who will tell you that the Coast Guard "often" stops and boards boats, while my personal impression is the exact opposite.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 19:26   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinman View Post
btw, i been boarded twice... once by the dept of homeland security, (while under sail), and their stated 'main purpose' waas for the lock outs for thru hulls...
The wye valves have a lockout configuration so it should be easy to put a zip tie into one and show it is not in use ...
Zip tie is not likely to cut it especially in some infamous local hot spots with local cops. You will need to have a genuine lock of some sort on them. Also, they will have to be locked out BEFORE you areboarded. I have a 'charlie-bar' rigged on mine with hasp points for pad locks. In the Great lakes the entire place is Zero Discharge so I placed permanent numbered pins as are used on over the road trucks to seal the doors. Numbers are recorded and dated in my log book. It takes an angle drive grinder to remove them. Tired of the pump out so I added an Air Head too.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 19:30   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

[QUOTE=denverd0n;984778]The answer, obviously, depends entirely on your definition of the word "often."

Some people that you talk to, however, would give you the impression that every time you cast off from the dock you are almost certain to get stopped and boarded. I suppose they have probably been boarded more than I have. Maybe they are doing something that draws attention to themselves. Maybe they are not. I don't know.

AGREE WITH THAT - YOU CAN CRUISE A BUSY WATERWAY HERE AND PREDICT EXACTLY WHICH BOATS WILL BE STOPPED.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 15:38   #37
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
The answer, obviously, depends entirely on your definition of the word "often."

The U.S. Coast Guard does stop boats, board them, and conduct safety inspections at times. I would say that they do not do that "often." It has happened to me twice now. The first time was about 35 years ago, the second time about 15 years ago. I suppose I am about due for another, at this rate.

What I do know is that there are some people in the United States who will tell you that the Coast Guard "often" stops and boards boats, while my personal impression is the exact opposite.
Yes "often" is a loose term; I guess I would define it (WRT this thread) as something that occurs frequently enough so as to make it feel it is just part of going sailing rather than an very unusual event that comes as a surprise - or somesuch .

From the replies so far I get the impression that it is very rare occurrence outside the USA, while inside the USA, it happens but is not common. Previously my view (purely from reading CF), was that it seemed to be a frequent occurrence - say at least every year on average - thanks for putting this in perspective.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 08:06   #38

Boat: Le Guen Hémidy, Lévrier de mer, 16 m / 53 ft, "AZAWAKH"
Send a message via Skype™ to Eric50

Hi everybody,

For France and FYI, it depends on the season and the area.

Atlantic coast and Channel areas are much less under inspection than Mediterranean one for example, and beginning of summer (June / July) see more boarded inspection than winter time, generally speaking.

Med is much more under control and inspection due to the number of leisure boat and specially due to misbehavior of "non such" sailors that are speeding in crowdy areas with very fast and powerfull speedboat.

The other reason is that people are more "tourists" rather than keen sailors, and most of the rules are disregarded by a large part of them, unfortunately.

This is also the most populated by leisure boaters area in France (80% of the french registered boats are in the Med).

The Saint Tropez gulf for example, is particularly under police monitoring (they have PWC to chase speeding boats) for example, in summer.

On the Atlantic and Channel sides, the main inspection schedules are at the beginning of the summer season, in areas where sailing is popular (large marinas location), mainly to ensure that the required safety equipement is onboard.

Specific areas (as for the Channel Islands, free tax area...) or where the drug smuggling is supposed to be frequent can be the object of particular monitoring and inspection, most of the time the monitoring is not even noticed by the boat as it is a radar / communication / long distance visual or aerial checking (customs or navy falcon jets are watching you with long range cameras or IR systems).

My personnal experience, as a regular sailor since 4 decades, is that I have been only onboard inspected once in France, but I sailed only in Atlantic & and Channel areas.

Not too bad in term of frequency after all !
Old 30-10-2012, 08:19   #39
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I've sailed med France extensively , never seen a French safety boarding nor have my French friends. There are very rate beasts

Dave
Old 30-10-2012, 08:33   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

I always get a safety inspection when available. They are usually conducted by the CG Aux., (strictly voluntary) which are volunteers that let you know they are available. They are friendly and professional. They find things that we sometimes forget to check, like out of date flares.
There reports go nowhere as far as I know, however, if you pass, they give you a sticker to put on your boat. The real Coasties respect these safety stickers and tend to pass us up when they are on the prowl.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 08:47   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
I always get a safety inspection when available. They are usually conducted by the CG Aux., (strictly voluntary) which are volunteers that let you know they are available. They are friendly and professional. They find things that we sometimes forget to check, like out of date flares.
There reports go nowhere as far as I know, however, if you pass, they give you a sticker to put on your boat. The real Coasties respect these safety stickers and tend to pass us up when they are on the prowl.
Same here. We get our inspections done each year at our local Catalina Rendezvous. While sailing down the estuary to our slip, a CG boat came by (the red one with the 50 cal machine gun on the bow!) and asked if we'd been inspected recently. "Yes, sir, and the decal is on the other side of our mast, you're welcome to motor around to see it." All they said was, "Have a nice day." And they zoomed off.

Very helpful to have. The checklist of required stuff is on the CG website. It's easy to pass. The "hardest" thing is have up to date flares. Find a sale at WM and buy some, not so hard, less than $30 every two years. The rest is easy: lights working (yours should anyway, right?), placards for trash and oil, and other local navigation and boat safety items. Not so hard. Download the checklist, do it yourself, and then get the CG Aux guys to check you out and get a sticker.

Anyone who can't pass this simple inspection deserves to not do so.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 09:12   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Zip tie is not likely to cut it especially in some infamous local hot spots with local cops. You will need to have a genuine lock of some sort on them. Also, they will have to be locked out BEFORE you areboarded. I have a 'charlie-bar' rigged on mine with hasp points for pad locks. In the Great lakes the entire place is Zero Discharge so I placed permanent numbered pins as are used on over the road trucks to seal the doors. .
The Ontario Water Resources Act provides for fines up to $50,000 and vessel seizure for discharge of certain materials including fuel, oil, dangerous chemicals and sewage.The Environmental Act, Ontario Regulation 343 states “ Water outlets for the head and/or holding tank must have no physical connection to an overboard discharge valve. .... locks don't cut it on Canadian side of Great Lakes.
Old 30-10-2012, 09:34   #43

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
The Ontario Water Resources Act provides for fines up to $50,000 and vessel seizure for discharge of certain materials including fuel, oil, dangerous chemicals and sewage.The Environmental Act, Ontario Regulation 343 states “ Water outlets for the head and/or holding tank must have no physical connection to an overboard discharge valve. .... locks don't cut it on Canadian side of Great Lakes.
Great! Now send them over to Vancouver. >>> Water Pollution - Canada Takes Crap for Flushing Raw Sewage into the Ocean /Puget Sound
Old 30-10-2012, 09:36   #44
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

We call the USCGAux stickers a "get out of jail free" card. It isn't *that* powerful, but when USCG craft are busy making safety inspections, they know that they can do more good, promote more safety, write more summonses, by passing by and going to another boat which is not actively displaying as much interest in "safety".

Like the real Monopoly card, it can't hurt to have one, and the price is certainly right.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 09:49   #45

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

In all our years of cruiseing, (and we cked our logs to see) we have been boarded 4 times at sea. At the time we recieved a ck list from the costies, showing we passed there inspection. We have been hailed and asked when the last time we were boarded and the name on the Ck list ! Things down here in Gulf Coast, are a little different then on the west coast of the US, with all the folks trying to get here in small boats, drug runners ect ! But because of asking for inspections by the Coast GD, and them comming to the house for this to be done, we have met many of the volenteers! And because we have a shallow draft marsh boat we have been asked to be on there list of folks who will help in inland marsh search teams. This has been a good thing for us and we feel it has helped others. The little bit closer we have been to the local USCG, has been to our favor as they just wave and hail us by boat name when they see us !! Never in over 40 + yrs of sailing on both coasts and the gulf we have never felt put out by the inspections at sea, all have been real bisness like and except for the guns, very low key !! I would suggest getting to be more involved in the local USCG stuff thats going on in your area, so you will have a little bit more of a idea of what these folks job is all about !! Ive never needed the USCGs help (as yet) but I feel at least in my area there help would come if called ! Just my 2 cents

Tags
safety