Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 16:03   #16

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Re: Safety Inspections in Your Area?

Never been boarded. Once stopped by NSW Police boat and asked to blow in a bag to test if I'm over the alcohol limit during a "blitz" on a public holiday weekend. Only once have I been subject to a safety inspection in NSW. The NSW Maritime pulled alondside and asked us if we were carrying life jackets and because we spoke nice didn't even check. Attitude is everything.
Old 04-07-2012, 16:15   #17

Boat: Lagoon 440

Iv'e noted in this thread comments regarding overboard discharge, do you need lockable valves to conform to ensure waste goes to the holding tank only?

Cheers
Old 04-07-2012, 16:32   #18

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Iv'e noted in this thread comments regarding overboard discharge, do you need lockable valves to conform to ensure waste goes to the holding tank only?

Cheers

When I was boarded, I did not have any type of lock on the overboard discharge. I had the Y-Valve in the "Tank" position and the Thru-Hull valve was closed.

They told me I needed to wrap some wire around the thru-hull to prevent the handle from being turned. I handed the officer some wire and he spent about 30 seconds attempting to wire it himself, then handed it back over to me and said to get it done later, no big deal

Technically it should be 'locked' in the sense that the handle should not be easily movable. I currently have a few wraps of wire that are loose enough to remove when necessary.

I would assume that different officers have different definitions of the laws. The fact that I was considerate and helpful to them allowed him to give me a pass on this minor infringement. If I was an *******, it's safe to assume he would have been ******* right back and given me a ticket.
Old 04-07-2012, 16:46   #19

Boat: Lagoon 440

Thanks ok I might set up a lockable device prior to venturing int US waters easy peasy....
Old 04-07-2012, 16:48   #20

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
When I was boarded, I did not have any type of lock on the overboard discharge. I had the Y-Valve in the "Tank" position and the Thru-Hull valve was closed.

They told me I needed to wrap some wire around the thru-hull to prevent the handle from being turned. I handed the officer some wire and he spent about 30 seconds attempting to wire it himself, then handed it back over to me and said to get it done later, no big deal

Technically it should be 'locked' in the sense that the handle should not be easily movable. I currently have a few wraps of wire that are loose enough to remove when necessary.

I would assume that different officers have different definitions of the laws. The fact that I was considerate and helpful to them allowed him to give me a pass on this minor infringement. If I was an *******, it's safe to assume he would have been ******* right back and given me a ticket.
The bigger the ******* the more crap so one is bound to get locked up.

BTW here's a sample inspection sheet for the USA, in case one wants to do their own inspection first.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf VSCform.pdf (126.5 KB, 75 views)
Old 04-07-2012, 17:05   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

During the last year and a bit, I've had 3 pretty comprehensive safety inspections. Twice while anchored and once while under way while singlehanding. They do tend to check all the basicis, though only once did they check that the Y valve was locked. My head pumps to the holding tank, The Y valve is on the discharge to the holding tank. Plus the check for wants and warrants.

Needless to say I passed. Oh the dangers of being blonde, I'm guessing...
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 17:37   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We ask for a courtesey ispection from the CG Auxillary. They cannot ticket. They are knowledgeable and happy (as volunteers) to help you comply. When you pass, you get an easily observed sticker to place on the stbd exterior that is extremely useful in preventing any future inspections. I also notice that the CG doesn't bother sailors much, especially large vessels and documented vessels. They are much more successful taking candy from power boaters for all of the usual violations. Watch an overloaded bow-rider pass with nobody wearing a PFD and the stop is a guarantee.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 17:55   #23

Boat: 2008 Hunter 44DS

In 2+ years of cruising Pacific Mexico we've been boarded by the Mexican Navy 8 times. They were interested in different things each time, usually just boat documentation and where we were headed and sometimes a quick review of the nav electronics and communications gear. Always very polite -- we've even been given a performance evaluation form to fill out for their bosses!!

Twice we were asked about safety gear, which really surprised me. Once they just asked how many lifejackets were on board, but the other time they actually physically checked the dates on the flairs, the dates on the fire extinguishers and asked to see the lifejackets to make sure we had enough!!
settingsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 18:04   #24

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
We ask for a courtesey ispection from the CG Auxillary. They cannot ticket. They are knowledgeable and happy (as volunteers) to help you comply. When you pass, you get an easily observed sticker to place on the stbd exterior that is extremely useful in preventing any future inspections. I also notice that the CG doesn't bother sailors much, especially large vessels and documented vessels. They are much more successful taking candy from power boaters for all of the usual violations. Watch an overloaded bow-rider pass with nobody wearing a PFD and the stop is a guarantee.
Yep

While they were aboard my boat, they commented that they don't often stop sailing vessels. They didn't like the confined space and more difficult manuevering (taking sails down, etc..). Mine was the first sailboat this particular officer had ever stopped.

Also, the first question they asked me (before boarding) was if I'd ever been inspected before. I said no... When they were finished with the inspection, they gave me a certificate and told me to keep it handy and show it if I ever got stopped again. That way, I'll probably not need to be boarded in the future.
Old 04-07-2012, 18:22   #25

Boat: 1977 S2 8.0
Lived aboard a year take the boat out on weekends. Had one comprehensive safety inspection on the dock when they came and inspected all live aboard Marine Sanitation Devices and boat registrations. Another time while under way we were hailed in the radio and asked our destination but not stopped. I have seen them stop innumerable power boats however.
Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 21:09   #26

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Never been boarded.. Occasionally someone want's to check you comply fishing regulations and have a license too but that's only on the river.
South (anyhing below 68N) they, the water police that is, tests for alcohol and sometimes they do safety checks too. Anyway thats what the rumors tell..
BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 21:23   #27

Boat: Buccaneer 240

I was boarded twice by the Coast Guard at the marina in Coos Bay, Oregon.(Power Boat) Both times they were checking safety gear. Once time my flares were out of date. I didn't get a ticket, but was told to replace them before I left the dock. They also asked if I had and Oregon Boaters card (I think that is what they called it). I told them I was from California and that ended that line of questioning. My then 5 year old son received a voucher for a free ice cream since he was wearing his life jacket on the dock.

Once I was checked out by ODFW. They were checking that we had not exceeded our limits of crab and fish.

I've always been treated professionally.

Scott
Old 04-07-2012, 22:05   #28

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

Never been boarded.

Inspected twice when I left New Zealand to head back into the South Pacific.

Inspected in Eritrea to makes sure I did not have any stowaways.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 23:16   #29

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

I had an interesting experience. I was boarded by the USCG in the Columbia River just east of the bar. In my haste to lower sails and prepare to get boarded, I left a winch handle on the cockpit coaming. One of the USCG accidently kicked it overboard. More my fault than his for leaving it out. He asked me if I had a spare which I did. He completed the safety inspection. Gave me a copy. Pulled out another form, filled it out and handed it to me. Told me to buy a new winch handle and mail the receipt and the form to get reimbursed. I never did. Really felt as though it was my fault.
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:45   #30
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Thanks to all who have responded so far and for (mostly) keeping on the OP.

Please keep them coming, there are lots of areas in the world that haven't responded yet - how am I ever going to get to know what happens in your patch if you don't tell me .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety