Old 08-09-2017, 17:08   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Rules of the road on the Chesepeake Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I wish people would stop referring to them as "rules of the road"
Me too, but that's what the Thread Title says (and that's why I used the "scary quotes"
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 17:20   #77
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Pete:

COLREGS carriage is required for all vessels 12m and over operating on "Inland" waters of the US.

Not a rule you would be aware of unless you'd boated here or had something similar in the U.K.

Adelie
Not true.

Why would COLREGs be required to be carried on "inland" waters, since they don't apply there.

The requirement under 33 CFR 83.01(g) is to carry a copy of the "Inland Navigation Rules"

(g) The operator of each self-propelled vessel 12 meters or more in length shall carry, on board and maintain for ready reference, a copy of these Rules.

So the question remains, who requires COLREGs to be carried?
Old 09-09-2017, 04:46   #78

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Do these "watermen" show the appropriate day shapes for "engaged in fishing"?

No, nor would they qualify. Moving from pot to pot, or running along a trotline, it's just a powerboat. Lifting a pot from time to time isn't really an encumbrance, and it's easy to disengage from a trotline to maneuver if necessary.

I'm less clear on the oyster dredges; I don't think they have much mobility when the dredge is working. Haven't seen day shapes on those either, though.

Kinda odd (for me) these last few days pushing 180-200 tows across the river here, but everyone gave us a decently wide berth, even the Navy YPs.

-Chris
Old 09-09-2017, 06:23   #79

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
So the question remains, who requires COLREGs to be carried?
That would be the IMO, who don't. They are "recommended" carriage. Source: https://www.amnautical.com/blogs/new...s#.WbPnr8aQyHs is not official but seems credible.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:29   #80
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ok, so I actually asked the USCG navcenter (who have an expert group that answers colreg questions).

Their answer is in two parts.

Part #1: for the purposes of the OP and any recreational boater in such a situation the only question to ask is whether the crabbing boat is flying the appropriate lights/day shapes (rule 26) signals. If they are you should considered them engaged in fishing, and if they are not you should not. USCG do not want you second guessing the signals.

Part #2: the USCG will investigate, and will potentially take action, if fishing boats are spotted or reported miss-using the 'engaged in fishing' signals - like flying those signals when they are transiting to or from the fishing grounds and not fishing (up around buzzards bay there are a lot of boats with the cones permanently welded in place and thus always up - which the USCG would hold against them if there was ever an incident). They said that generally they don't consider small crab and lobster potters to be restricted in maneuver, but that determination has to be made case by case, and they are unwilling/unable to make a blanket statement.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:16   #81

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Ok, so I actually asked the USCG navcenter (who have an expert group that answers colreg questions).

Their answer is in two parts.

Part #1: for the purposes of the OP and any recreational boater in such a situation the only question to ask is whether the crabbing boat is flying the appropriate lights/day shapes (rule 26) signals. If they are you should considered them engaged in fishing, and if they are not you should not. USCG do not want you second guessing the signals.

Part #2: the USCG will investigate, and will potentially take action, if fishing boats are spotted or reported miss-using the 'engaged in fishing' signals - like flying those signals when they are transiting to or from the fishing grounds and not fishing (up around buzzards bay there are a lot of boats with the cones permanently welded in place and thus always up - which the USCG would hold against them if there was ever an incident). They said that generally they don't consider small crab and lobster potters to be restricted in maneuver, but that determination has to be made case by case, and they are unwilling/unable to make a blanket statement.
Extremely interesting and useful; thanks for getting that!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 08:40   #82

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Please, can we just stop using the word "rights" completely?
For the umpteenth time - you have no rights to assert on the water!

Thank you.

We have obligations not rights per the colregs.
And that obligation is to not run into each other.
Old 13-09-2017, 08:51   #83

Boat: Hylas 49

Sorry for using the term 'right of way'. The Preamble to Section A of the racing rules is entitled Right of Way. And yes, while racing you also have a duty to avoid a collision.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 12:53   #84
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
Sorry for using the term 'right of way'. The Preamble to Section A of the racing rules is entitled Right of Way. And yes, while racing you also have a duty to avoid a collision.
And it specifically says:
"A boat has right of way over another boat when the other boat is required to keep clear of her. However, some rules in Sections B, C and D limit the actions of a right-of-way boat."

It's been discussed in other COLREGS threads.

You won't find anything similar anywhere in COLREGS

When sailboat racing (including multihulls ) under the RRS, one boat frequently does have ROW over the other and is permitted to manoeuver in many situations. But when a racing sailboat meets a non-racing sailboat, the racing sailboat is bound by COLREGS or appropriate Inland Rules not RRS (see preamble to RRS Part 2)
Old 13-09-2017, 21:23   #85

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Comparing racing rules to colregs is like comparing NASCAR to a driving test