Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2017, 04:53   #46

Boat: 2018 Senesco 110'
Re: rules for c&d canal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
It sounds like you're pretty good at ignoring the naysayers anyway, but I urge you to continue disregarding. You know your abilities. You know the consequences. Cruise on.

As a commercial operator in the area I don't look for exhaust. As long as the other traffic is playing by the rules and staying out of the way I'm fine. That being said his consequences don't just involve him, they involve other mariners and their livlyhoods just so he can be a Luddite. The canal regs are there for all of us.

The C+D is considerably longer than the Cape Cod Canal and will have less current once you're in. The rgulations in the Canal are straight from the CFRs and thus are a law. The explicitly state no transiting under sail (33CFR162.4) also as stated previously rowing is not mentioned.

July feels like this is a could you/should you situation. I'm sure you could transit under sail/oar, but should you? You can also call 410-885-5622 that is the only number I have for them I don't know if it's the 24 hour operations line but it should help you out.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:05   #47

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

From one of the "armchair cruisers" .....that is smart and experienced enough to know where to find the regulations for the canal......

Chapter 7 of Coast Pilot 3.... as Chris previously pointed out...and a little further up the paragraph....

" Owners and operators of yachts, motorboats, rowboats, and other craft
are cautioned that large deep-draft ocean-going vessels
and other large commercial vessels ply the canal, and
such owners and operators should be particularly careful
to moor or anchor well away from the main ship channels,
with moorings and lines which are sufficient and proper.
(12) (c) Right-of-way. All vessels proceeding with the
current shall have the right-of-way over those proceeding
against the current. Large vessels or tows must not
overtake and attempt to pass other large vessels or tows
in the waterway. All small pleasure craft shall relinquish
the right-of-way to deeper draft vessels, which have a
limited maneuvering ability due to their draft and size.
(13) (d) Stopping in waterway. Vessels will not be
permitted to stop or anchor in the ship channel.
(14) (e) Water skiing. Water skiing in the waterway is
prohibited between Reedy Point and Welch Point.
(15) (f) Sailboats. Transiting the canal by vessels under
sail is not permitted between Reedy Point and Welch
Point. "

So it seems rowing through is permitted, just dont have your sails up. You can call and argue your case which may be permitted, but needs special authorization if you want to include your sails.

You can argue all you want .....what it should be or shouldnt be..., but in Oct on a foggy day....several other "unknowing of the rules" boaters were getting the canal authorities enraged by transiting the canal in the fog when it was declared closed.

Do what you want, but the fines can be stiff for ignoring the rules. Spent 8 years in the upper levels of Cape May area USCG..... pushing your luck can be a bad decision....but thats just from an "armchair" cruiser....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:15   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

These may help with the bay

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/ofs/dbofs/dbofs.html

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/of...rents_forecast
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:30   #49

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
It sounds like if I stay along the right side of the canal whenever there is a ship then I won't get in their way. This is what is expected anyway. The rules state that slower vessels keep right, so it shouldn't be a problem.
If you row.

Quote:
I think mostly the negative advice is from people who have used an engine, but have never used a yuloh. So really this is misinformed.
You missed the posts from those who have sailed it and said they would not recommend doing it without an engine. They are not misinformed. Neither are those that did it with an engine. They are offering advice, regardless of what the specific regulation is. The regulation is no sailing in the canal. That said, I'm sure if you catch a favorable wind that allows you to maneuver properly and stay out of the way of other traffic, you'll be fine. All the warnings are with regard to what happens if conditions deteriorate and you cannot effectively row your vessel in the canal.

Quote:
My question isn't advise anyway, but if it is legal or not. I already know I can navigate it safely without posing a threat to anyone.
It appears you can row. Sailing is prohibited.

Quote:
So it is also life threatening to anyone to transit who uses an engine.

Engine failing is significantly more likely than my sails or yuloh failing.
The chances of encountering a situation where the lack of engine power presents a significant risk to you or others is higher than the risk of an engine failure for anyone in the canal with you. That's based on direct experience transiting the canal dozens of times.

Quote:
I looked at the chart of delaware bay. It looks like there is plenty of space to navigate to avoid shoals as well as stay out of shipping channels. What am I missing? Why is it more challenging?
It's not more challenging from a navigation or traffic standpoint. It's more challenging in terms of the current, wind effect, etc., than simply going around the Eastern Shore. Catch the incoming tide and a brisk E-SE-S wind and you'll scoot right up. Anything else will be a chore.

Wish you the best of luck, seriously. If you stop in Annapolis, you'll probably like anchoring in Back Creek. There's a fine anchorage about half-way up the creek (you'll see other boats anchored there). Well protected and a short row to one of the public dinghy docks.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:44   #50

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

The key to the rule is in the use of the word "transiting". It does not say you can not sail the canal. If stopped and asked if you are "transiting" the canal, take the 5th or just say you are sailing. It is very common for sailboats to sail it in favorable conditions and is not "foolish" or "life threatening" to do so.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:24   #51

Boat: Tayana 47

I have to wonder why the OP wants to pass through the C&D Canal in the first place. My boat has an engine and I don't plan to ever do it again. The Delaware Bay is not a particularly beautiful place to sail and I don't see anything very great about the upper Chesapeake Bay either. I do agree that Chesapeake City is a nice area and a good place to stop over but not worth traveling all the way up the Delaware Bay to see.

As for sailing/rowing through, in the right wind and tide I have no doubt he can do it but it sounds like he may risk getting stopped and forced to sail all the way back down the Delaware Bay by the CG. Whether it's right or wrong or unfair or unjust or un-whatever, why even take a chance on that when it's such a simple thing for a sailboat to sail outside and then up the wide open lower Chesapeake to the Annapolis area? Why make life difficult for yourself and possibly others? Even the Pardy's accepted a tow when conditions favored it. So, I'd either hail a passing yacht for a tow, or sail outside in the ocean where the attributes of sailboats are at their best.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:15   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
The key to the rule is in the use of the word "transiting". It does not say you can not sail the canal. If stopped and asked if you are "transiting" the canal, take the 5th or just say you are sailing. It is very common for sailboats to sail it in favorable conditions and is not "foolish" or "life threatening" to do so.
I do not agree that boats often sail through.

In dozens and dozens of transits and flyovers, I dont think I have ever seen someone sailing tbrough.

The canal is under video surveillance and the dispatchers tend to call out to violators as you hear it on vhf frequently enough.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:26   #53

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
I have to wonder why the OP wants to pass through the C&D Canal in the first place. My boat has an engine and I don't plan to ever do it again. The Delaware Bay is not a particularly beautiful place to sail and I don't see anything very great about the upper Chesapeake Bay either. I do agree that Chesapeake City is a nice area and a good place to stop over but not worth traveling all the way up the Delaware Bay to see.

As for sailing/rowing through, in the right wind and tide I have no doubt he can do it but it sounds like he may risk getting stopped and forced to sail all the way back down the Delaware Bay by the CG. Whether it's right or wrong or unfair or unjust or un-whatever, why even take a chance on that when it's such a simple thing for a sailboat to sail outside and then up the wide open lower Chesapeake to the Annapolis area? Why make life difficult for yourself and possibly others? Even the Pardy's accepted a tow when conditions favored it. So, I'd either hail a passing yacht for a tow, or sail outside in the ocean where the attributes of sailboats are at their best.

Exactly. Since the rules explicitly say you may not transit under sail, pleading ignorance will not exonerate you. The Coast Guard set these rules for a reason. Not that you can’t actually make it, but the stakes with massive ships loaded with fuel and other cargo are much higher for others and for yourself. So real chance they will turn you around if you are trying under sail.
A small private sailboat is allowed to transit the canal sort of as a courtesy but the canal was not built for recreational craft.

I personally would appreciate people not stretching the rules. If a disaste occurs- a ship runs aground or into a trestle of a bridge due to a pleasure craft breaking the rules could lead to more regulation for the rest of us. Worse yet would be a fuel spill. But chances are they’d just run you aside and hopefully your rigging wouldn’t get caught in their anchor.

Delaware Bay- hopefully you get favorable tide and current. This time of year there are more northerly breezes so you should wait for southerly and tide with you. What those ledges do is funnel current through massively, setting up standing waves if against any breeze. This summer heading south in only a 10 knot building southerly we put our bow through a solid wave that washed all the way back into the cockpit. In a 40 footer. So batten all hatches if wind and current are opposed.

As for sailing if you choose to break the law: You’ll understand when you go through the canal- in many places the banks are taller than your mast by a lot. For you the only wind direction that would be steady and sail able would be an easterly. Which are rare. Otherwise the wind will be mostly blanketed and swirling. Westerlies are more common this time of year. They’ll def catch you if you’re tacking up the canal
So I’d wait for favorable tide and row it. Stop in Chesapeake city to rest. Good luck!
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:36   #54

besides sailing do you have a vhf radio?
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:07   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

i'm conflicted on this thread

on the one hand I have little doubt the op has the skills to make it thru the c&d and good on him

on the other hand - why is he asking a question when it seems like he really does not want to hear the answer - which he really already knows, sailing is not allowed and authorities generally dont consider oars to be 'aux power'. And those rules are for the safety and well-being of all traffic in the canal, not some sort of anti-sailing or anti-cruiser or evil authority.

he's a big boy and can live with his own decisions - if he is happy having a significant chance of what happened in the cape cod canal happen again then go for it. Personally if i were him, I would go outside simply because the Delaware bay is not all that attractive a place.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:20   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

It was, unfortunately, probably a bad idea to ask. I would bet someone here calls the “authorities” and warns the of his intended violation.

I’m guessing on half of my transits I’ve seen no commercial traffic. When I do it’s Mostly tugs pushing, once I was passed by an auto carrier.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:15   #57

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
It was, unfortunately, probably a bad idea to ask. I would bet someone here calls the “authorities” and warns the of his intended violation.

I’m guessing on half of my transits I’ve seen no commercial traffic. When I do it’s Mostly tugs pushing, once I was passed by an auto carrier.

I guess I have a higher regard for CF posters who may disagree vehemently on a subject but not even consider ratting out another sailor. Has that EVER happened in the history of this site?!

However, even “the authorities” have computers and are on the Internet, and it wouldn’t surprise me if some of the lurkers who view this site are in the USCG. So by starting this thread, the OP himself has probably already notified “the authorities” of what he intends to do. He’s also lost any chance of pleading ignorance if something goes wrong and his presence causes an accident.

For many reasons he should just sail around the outside and leave the C&D to motorized traffic.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:53   #58

Or the dispatcherr will just observe him entering tbe canal under sail or rowing on video surveillance that tbey have.

They call out violators on the vhf...I heard them on my last transit this last October, raking some ignorant cruiser over the coals for being in the canal when it was closed due fog. I have also heard them call out wake violators at Chesapeake City.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:54   #59

I know there are speed limits on the highway, however I'm a very, very good driver and have been driving for years. I have vast experience driving at high speeds. I know there are 'rules' about speeding. I couldn't find any. Besides, Other countries don't have any speed limits at all. I don't understand why I can't simply drive any speed I want. I'm skilled and I've never had a problem driving at speeds significantly higher than the posted limits. I'm just going to ignore the speed limits. What do you people know anyway.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:28   #60

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I know there are speed limits on the highway, however I'm a very, very good driver and have been driving for years. I have vast experience driving at high speeds. I know there are 'rules' about speeding. I couldn't find any. Besides, Other countries don't have any speed limits at all. I don't understand why I can't simply drive any speed I want. I'm skilled and I've never had a problem driving at speeds significantly higher than the posted limits. I'm just going to ignore the speed limits. What do you people know anyway.
I'm telling!
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canal, rule