Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 05:00   #1
Armchair Bucketeer

RTW Yacht Charters - legally possible?!

i.e. so could advertise publicly - without risk of surprises!

Just an idea was kicking around with someone..........

Lets say we choose a starting point (country) and legally register the vessel for charter (including for offshore use) and meet whatever build / design, equipment and Skipper (quals) and crew (numbers) requirements in that locale.......but then offer RTW Charters, divided into legs (that obviously stop in various countries in which you / the boat are not registered as a Charter Boat) and only return "Home", every year or 3. I am guessing insurance would be interesting ($$$ ) - but the basic premise would be that being legal means can charge well above grey charters due to access to a wider market (those not willing to take a punt on the unknown - and may actually have a choice financially to spend more!)........obviously the financial viability of such a venture is a big question, this post really about achieving legality!

My take (from memory not research!) is that Charters arriving from overseas are usually ok as long as they leave again with same passengers (or only drop off?)............the "Grey" area would be picking up new punters for the start of a further leg in the other countries you arrive in.......but that it would not be slam dunk illegal as the deal (booking) was done elsewhere (in advance of arriving), you are not actively seeking people in that country (likely your punters would be flying in specifically to meet the boat) and have the comfort of not appearing on anyone local's radar for very long (a month max?, with no onboat advertising) nor very often (every couple of years max?!).

My guess however is that some countries would still be best avoided, both for the risk of getting clobbered as an Illegal Charter (or Terrorist?!) coupled with the Visa aggro for the punters of explaining that will be flying in and sailing out (which is not "standard" ). And at a WAG would probably be selective on which country to call as "home" for the best way to legally become a charter boat........

www.FlyingDutchmanCharters.com

Any thoughts?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:37   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430
Re: RTW Yacht Charters - legally possible?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

Any thoughts?
One thought, might be easier to have people aboard as crew, to share expenses? So would really not be a commercial operation.
But different locations, different rules.

BTW, couldn't access the link.
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:05   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
One thought, might be easier to have people aboard as crew, to share expenses? So would really not be a commercial operation.
But different locations, different rules.

BTW, couldn't access the link.
That link was only a joke - but sounds like it is still available!

The shared expenses approach only gets so far, and when it is well above pure expenses (and even above the point of arguing! - even though you can't charge full commercial) then scope for legal problems when raising head above the parapet (primarily to attract punters).

TBH, the going legal approach would primarily be for commercial reasons (to be able to fish in a bigger pond for punters to hold prices above beans and rice) rather than a "do the right thing" angle .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:29   #4

Boat: Westerly Conway 36

Aren't the clipper races already doing that? They take paying guests drop some off at the end of a leg, pick some up. They don't seem to have problems, and get celebrity treatment too.
maersi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:57   #5

Boat: Morgan 452
Two thoughts...

First, it seems like this is exactly what cruise liners do. They register in a convenient country, like Panama. Then, they operate worldwide.

Second, I believe that, in the US, the Jones Act would require certain things if you went from one US port to another. I'm not a lawyer, so I can't comment on details.

Bottom line - I don't think the big issues would be a problem. However, the devil would be in the details.
CaptFrankM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:15   #6

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

I thinks it boils down where the actual sale of the cruise or charter happens. So long when all the deals, paperworks and payments happens in the same country (or inside EU) as the vessel is registered and taxes payed, and no significant timelimits aren't exceeded in the countries visited.. now worries IMHO
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:26   #7
Marine Service Provider

I think if it was economically viable someone would have already done it... I think the cost for doing an around the world charter you could probably fly to a number of different destinations and bareboat for a couple of weeks at each place...
FLLCatsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht