Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2016, 23:09   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45
Requirements to Transport Employees?

I understand to transport paying passengers a captain's license is required. But, how about transporting employees? My company is bidding on a shoreline restoration project that will require about a dozen employees to be transported by boat about 3 miles across open water to the shoreline job site. There is not access by road. Also, are there any vessel requirements beyond the standard safety gear requirements for a recreational boater? Can we just put the workers in a boat like a Carolina Skiff (or two) and send them on their way?
SteveInMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 00:15   #2

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Requirements to Transport Employees?

Depends upon where you are but civilised places usually require some form of registration of the vessel and formal qualifications for the crew for commercial usage.
RaymondR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 00:25   #3

We're in the USA. More specifically the Maryland waters of the Chesapeake Bay.

I realize the Maryland Safe Boater law applies. The operator would need a safe boating license if they were born after July 1, 1972, just like a recreational boater.
Old 22-10-2016, 00:41   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

You know, in your place I'd be asking the relevant authorities those questions, not a bunch of opinionated dufuses (like me) on the internet. The penalties for doing it wrong are usually pretty severe.

Jim
Old 22-10-2016, 02:29   #5

The rules don't care who's paying the bus fare. If you are transporting passengers, you are transporting passengers.

Up to 6 is relatively easy as you don't need an inspected vessel (6pack license). Above that, not only do you need a captain, the vessel must meet rules.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 08:37   #6

You may need to purchase Jones Act insurance. If you do, your reaction to the costs may be similar to the below:

crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 09:48   #7

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Twelve employees and three miles. One boat two trips and a six pack ticket for the operator, which most anyone can get. You might find an old retiree with one that wound be glad to make a few bucks for four trips a day that has the boat. Ask around.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 18:11   #8
Marine Service Provider

If this is a commercial operation and somebody or some company is getting paid to run the boat then a license is required. If six-pack the limit is SIX PASENGERS and no cargo, tools, supplies or any other materials, people only.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 18:15   #9

The company owns the boat and pays everyone on it. From what I can tell, that means there are no paying passengers.
Old 23-10-2016, 04:24   #10

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

I think you will find that construction companies, such as bridge builders, only employ licensed captains to operate their vessels and transport their employees.
I would imagine there's a reason for that.
Old 23-10-2016, 05:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
I think you will find that construction companies, such as bridge builders, only employ licensed captains to operate their vessels and transport their employees.
I would imagine there's a reason for that.
At a certain scale I would think the insurance company would require licensed captains and inspected vessels. In my case we are talking about a few employees in a skiff operating most of the time in a few feet of water. I have my masters ticket (limited to 50 tons, inland waters), but I'm not sure I'm even needed on the job.

I have asked a few professionals, but have not gotten a clear answer. I have a call into a few other people but have no answers yet.
Old 23-10-2016, 07:36   #12

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

There are also Limited Liscences, like Launch Operator, that may apply and have much lower requirements (even than OUPV, aka "6-pack"). Take a look at them on the USCG web site.

Given that it is a commercial operation, I would involve the business's insurance company and legal counsel...sure would suck to miss an important detail and not discover it until after a law suit was filed.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 07:41   #13

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Also is this in coastal waters or inland? This may affect who has jurisdiction. For example, Core of Engineers, Local LEO, or USCG. I would consult a local maritime attorney to be sure.

Especially in the USA, liabilities and litigation are a big concern. Many other countries, not so much.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 07:42   #14

there is no license required internal company transportation of this type relative to the USCG

I have been working on marine construction projects for 35 years and if its all in house then no USCG of any nature is required nor is the vessel required to be certified.

projects where your ferrying people from the shore out to a rig are common place.

insurance could be an issue put seldom is as we work on the water everyday.

the usual USCG required equipment is typically part of company policy life jackets hard hats ect fore protection on the boat

if you are going to bare boat charter a launch then I would suggest you hire a USCG captain for the duration of the job so he's an employee.

I would also suggest that you hire a surveyor or marine consultant to go through the boat relative to risks and exposures. his report will typically staidly the insurance company, or if its a big project where your working for a public entity they may retest you provide a third party inspection

I do this on a regular basis
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 07:45   #15

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

let's see ... take your employees(friends), on a little, private pleasure cruise ... of course, you might consider a BONUS and a small picnic ...

You might want to think out of the box if the legal requirements.

Of course, you might find the legal requirements not too outlandish either...
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men