Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 19:22   #16

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Sorry but this is Subpart "H". which has to do with natural ventilation of compartments, not bilges or boat interiors even though it mentions gasoline engines (1). Quote: "must be provided for each compartment in a boat that:"

As I read it, it could include propane, alcohol and CNG as well.
Old 07-11-2010, 19:36   #17

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it looks to me like this says that 183.601-183.630 has to do with ventilation and if you click on the link it takes you directly to subpart K Ventilation. Subpart H seems to deal with floatation requirements.

Deprecated Browser Error
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 20:17   #18

You are right it is "K", some how I got outboards mixed up with ventilation. But I can't see where it is exclusive to gasoline powered boats. This is the one I would think would cover gas powered boats.

Quote:
Subpart 25.40—Ventilation
§ 25.40-1 Tanks and engine spaces.
(a) All motorboats or motor vessels, except open boats and as provided in paragraphs (d) and (e) of this section, the construction or decking over of which is commenced after April 25, 1940, and which use fuel having a flashpoint of 110° F., or less, shall have at least two ventilator ducts, fitted with cowls or their equivalent, for the efficient removal of explosive or flammable gases from the bilges of every engine and fuel tank compartment. There shall be at least one exhaust duct installed so as to extend from the open atmosphere to the lower portion of the bilge and at least one intake duct installed so as to extend to a point at least midway to the bilge or at least below the level of the carburetor air intake. The cowls shall be located and trimmed for maximum effectiveness and in such a manner so as to prevent displaced fumes from being recirculated.
(b) As used in this section, the term open boats means those motorboats or motor vessels with all engine and fuel tank compartments, and other spaces to which explosive or flammable gases and vapors from these compartments may flow, open to the atmosphere and so arranged as to prevent the entrapment of such gases and vapors within the vessel.
(c) Boats built after July 31, 1980, which are manufactured or used primarily for noncommercial use; which are leased, rented, or chartered to another for the latter's noncommercial use; which are engaged in the carriage of six or fewer passengers; or which are in compliance with the requirements of 33 CFR part 183 are exempted from these requirements.
(d) Boats built after July 31, 1978, which are manufactured or used primarily for noncommercial use; which are rented, leased, or chartered to another for the latter's noncommercial use; or which engage in conveying six or fewer passengers are exempted from the requirements of paragraph (a) for fuel tank compartments that:
(1) Contain a permanently installed fuel tank if each electrical component is ignition protected in accordance with 33 CFR 183.410(a); and
(2) Contain fuel tanks that vent to the outside of the boat.
[CGFR 65–50, 30 FR 16653, Dec. 30, 1965, as amended by CGD 76–082A, 44 FR 73047, Dec. 17, 1979; CGD 76–082A, 45 FR 7551, Feb. 4, 1980; CGD 95–012, 60 FR 48048, Sept. 18, 1995; CGD 95–028, 62 FR 51196, Sept. 30, 1997]
Subpart 25.45—Cooking, Heating, and Lighting Systems
§ 25.45-1 Heating and lighting systems on vessels carrying passengers for hire.
(a) No fuel may be used in any heating or lighting system on any vessel carrying passengers for hire without the approval of Commandant (G-MSE), except—
(1) Alcohol, solid,
(2) Alcohol, liquid, combustible,
(3) Fuel oil, No. 1, No. 2, or No. 3,
(4) Kerosene,
(5) Wood or,
(6) Coal.
(b) Heating and lighting systems using alcohol must meet the following requirements:
(1) Containers of solidified alcohol must be properly secured to a fixed base.
(2) Fluid alcohol burners, where wet priming is used, must have—
(i) A catch pan of not less than 3/4” depth secured inside the frame of the stove; or
(ii) The metal protection under the stove flanged up at least 3/4” to form a pan.
(c) Heating and lighting systems using kerosene or fuel oil must meet the following requirements:
(1) Where wet priming is used, each system must have—
(i) A catch pan of not less than 3/4” depth secured inside the frame of the stove; or
(ii) The metal protection under the stove flanged up at least 3/4” to form a pan.
(2) Fuel tanks must be—
(i) Separated from the stove that they serve;
(ii) Mounted in a location open to the atmosphere or mounted inside a compartment that is vented to the atmosphere; and
(iii) Fitted with an outside fill and vent.
(d) Heating systems using wood or coal installed after August 9, 1989, shall be installed in accordance with the guidelines in chapter 6 of NFPA 302.
[CGD 83–013, 54 FR 6402, Feb. 10, 1989 and CGD 83–013, 55 FR 3959, Feb. 6, 1990; CGD 95–072, 60 FR 50461, Sept. 29, 1995; CGD 96–041, 61 FR 50726, Sept. 27, 1996]
Justia :: 46 C.F.R. PART 25—REQUIREMENTS -- US Laws, Codes, Statutes & Cases -- Justia
Old 07-11-2010, 20:55   #19

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Thanks Delmarray, I had missed cfr 46. That was the type of thig I was looking for. I still don't think that section applies as it states that it applies to vessels designed to use fuels with flashpoints below 110 degrees. According to the MSDS all forms of No. 2 Diesel, which is specified for my engines, has a flashpoint of 125 degrees or greater. I did notice an interesting statement about fire extiguisher requirements for boats that had enclosed compartments such as under seats where portable fuel tanks might be stored. There was nothing about ventilating those compartments but it did create a requirement for carrying a fire extinguisher.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 21:08   #20

At least something useful came from it all.