Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2012, 23:23   #1

Requirement to sell U.S. Goods in Mexico

I am preparing to Sail Solo from California to Mexico.
Does anyone know the requirements to sell U.S. purchased retail merchandise in Mexico.
Toddvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 04:53   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Requirement to sell U.S. Goods in Mexico

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Toddvan.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 05:12   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Requirement to sell U.S. Goods in Mexico

Hi Todd... Welcome to CF
Dunno if you'll get much feed back... seems to me its the other way round usually... Mexico to US... and the US aint happy

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 06:31   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

Are you selling to locals or cruisers? The cruisers VHF nets are usually careful to list items for sale as 'trade for coconuts' to avoid issues.
Old 27-12-2012, 06:52   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

I started 3 used clothes stores in Mexico after having a hard time thinking that NAFTA only worked one way...After it was all said and done I came to the conclusion that it did work one way after they stopped me at the border and told me I had been violating the law! You can take "gifts" to people in Mex. if each package has a persons name and address on it plus the contents...Never tell them you are going to sale something in Mex. they do not like that at all from my experiance..good luck
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 08:29   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Todd, you are asking cruisers for legal and business counsel?

That's not a good way to start a business. You probably will do better by having a talk with a "commerce attache" at a Mexican consulate or embassy. Their job is to help wanna-be businessmen meet the laws for doing business across the Mexican border.

You'll probably need both US and Mexican business licenses, clear the goods through customs, and conform to a batch of paperwork. But there's a man at a desk in most every consulate who gets paid to explain the rules to you and to encourage our business.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 08:56   #7

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

What U.S. goods? They don't make anything there anymore. So, on your mexican import document, the place of origin should read "China".

Unless, of course, you're planning to import burgers ...
Old 27-12-2012, 11:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Todd, you are asking cruisers for legal and business counsel?

That's not a good way to start a business. You probably will do better by having a talk with a "commerce attache" at a Mexican consulate or embassy. Their job is to help wanna-be businessmen meet the laws for doing business across the Mexican border.

You'll probably need both US and Mexican business licenses, clear the goods through customs, and conform to a batch of paperwork. But there's a man at a desk in most every consulate who gets paid to explain the rules to you and to encourage our business.
And good luck getting anyone to explain anything with a new administration putting new people in offices they have no experience in. The immigration stuff down here has been a zoo.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 11:14   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

" a new administration "
Ah, Rebel? Did they just hold elections down in MEXICO too? Because I did suggest he see a MEXICAN official in a MEXICAN consulate, and I don't think any of them are being swept up in a new administration this month or next.

Of course, I don't pay much attention to Mexican elections. I vote early and vote often, but I don't vote in Mexico.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 11:35   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

one must go thru the mexican hoops in order to be a seller of anyhting in mexico , if one is not mexican.

is possible, but you must do as ordered and mandated by mexican policy..
i believe the penalty for selling stuff here without permission is jail time. not a fun prospect, as i understand it. something about tariffs and duties and taxes....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 13:54   #11

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ive been Swapping stuff in other countrys for a long time and never had a problem ! Sometimes swapping is for other goods and sometimes for money ! I think ya need to Think about what ya want to do! maybe get rid of stuff ya don't need, but if ya want to support your cruiseing life ya might want to rethink your Ideas!! many places don't much care for ya setting up a business without proper permission and fees !! Trading and swapping are a old cruisers way of life LOL it's how we maintain ourselfs far away from our home shores! But having things to sell to locals, is a chancy way of living in some places ya could be looking at jail time or at least be asked to leave and never return !! seen it happen !! just sayin be careful !

Tags
Mexico