Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-08-2013, 10:57   #16

Boat: Custom Steel trawler 64ft
Re: Registration - Which Flag?

I think by that you mean freeloaders .

Don't like the rules (for boat and / or you)? - then don't visit, let alone become a resident. Seemples .

Complaining that not easy to freeload on others by not paying your way / meeting your obligations (which the locals get to decide, not you on a pick and mix basis ) don't attract much sympathy from me ........whether that in the West or the 3rd World.

The whole issue here is about flagging and the reasons behind choices.
The overdone import taxes in the place where I live are like that because the government thinks that is a good policy. Nothing that I can change there and that also goes for other taxes that people try to avoid like we can read in all the posts here.
Avoiding costs (without anything in return) has nothing to do with free loading. I think that about taking 70% taxes on import of a boat and not doing anything back comes closer to freeloading by the way.
My post was not about this subject only but more about the complexity of all the different rules and danger that you are exposed to if you own- or use a boat to visit other countries and about the ease to make mistakes that can surprise you when one day they come aboard to rub it in while you even had no idea you did something wrong.

Captaincees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 03:21   #17

Boat: Seahorse 52'
Re: Registration - Which Flag?

Savoir - GBP 200. No problem. Travel (and time) costs to Phuket, Thailand. BIG problem

JohnInBKK is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: