Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-09-2012, 20:20   #46

Boat: Sea Ray 270
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason
Re: Registration USA to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tour72 View Post
He also wants proof that the boat is not registered in california anympore.I just rang the guy I bought the boat of and he said he will go and ask but is doubtfull they will give him one.
He is right, under Federal Documention the USCG would issue a De-Registration Certificate before you could register the vessel in Australia.

Unfortunately, California's Department of Motor Vehicles does not normally issue those certificates or forms.

The previous owner may have to go to a Marine Title Company who could type up a notarized letter indicating the boat was sold to you and is no longer registered in California.

I did find a great source for you in Foreign Yacht Registration Resources tht might help you out

You might also want to look at the Australian Maritime Safety Authority web page which explains about the builders certificate and registering boats.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 20:55   #47

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

You could register it in a sales tax free a state like Montana or Wyoming. people cruise on state registration all the time internationally. If you could do this then you would be legal and it would give you breathing room. In Montana it is $295.00. Does Nevada have sales tax? Maybe you could hop across the border and do it there.

Old 06-09-2012, 21:12   #48

Boat: Sea Ray 270
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
You could register it in a sales tax free a state like Montana or Wyoming. people cruise on state registration all the time internationally. If you could do this then you would be legal and it would give you breathing room. In Montana it is $295.00. Does Nevada have sales tax? Maybe you could hop across the border and do it there.
He is a Citizen of Australia...

In order to register a vessel or vehicle in any US State, you have to prove you are legally there... i.e.: Long term VISA or Permenent Resident Status.

Many states also require a HULL Number Verification by Law Enforcement or DMV Employee, if the vessel hasn't been registered in the state before.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 22:19   #49

Boat: Careel 22

This interesting string proves to me that I will be doing the right thing in getting the help of a respected broker/agent in the States, and a respected boat import agent in Oz, to do all the paperwork on my behalf when I get around to buying a boat in the States for import to Oz. For the extra expense of paying the two brokers/agents I would be saving myself a heap of headaches and things “should” go smoothly
Old 17-06-2013, 21:44   #50

Boat: rawson 30

I'm currently importing my boat to fiji and have been asked for a deregistration certificate. My boat is registered in California with the DMV. What do I do? It was documented with the coast gaurd in the past. But that was two owners ago.

Tags
Australia, registration, australia

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: