Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 07:49   #16
Registered User
 
SimonV's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia.
Posts: 1,316
Re: Registration USA to Australia

Mr B I don't know where you get your information you were lucky if that was how customs handled your case, so here is an extract from the document.
What ships can be registered

All Australian owned commercial ships 24 metres and over in tonnage length, capable of navigating the high seas must be registered.


All other craft, including Government ships, fishing and pleasure craft need not be registered, but may be if the owners desire.


A ship must be registered if the owner intends to use it for travel from Australia to places outside Australia or on voyages from foreign ports to other overseas destinations or to Australia.


Any ship demise chartered to Australian based operators, or any craft under 12 metres in length, owned or operated by Australian residents, nationals or both, can be registered if the owner/operator wishes.

Ships that were originally registered in Australia under the British system (before 1982 ) were automatically transferred to the new register subject to nationality eligibility at the time of changeover.

The Australian Register of Ships currently lists the particulars of some 7,000 active ships.
__________________

__________________
Simon

https://svgoodonya.blogspot.com.au/
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:56   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne Australia
Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Posts: 1,616
Re: Registration USA to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Mr B I don't know where you get your information you were lucky if that was how customs handled your case, so here is an extract from the document.
What ships can be registered

All Australian owned commercial ships 24 metres and over in tonnage length, capable of navigating the high seas must be registered.


All other craft, including Government ships, fishing and pleasure craft need not be registered, but may be if the owners desire.


A ship must be registered if the owner intends to use it for travel from Australia to places outside Australia or on voyages from foreign ports to other overseas destinations or to Australia.


Any ship demise chartered to Australian based operators, or any craft under 12 metres in length, owned or operated by Australian residents, nationals or both, can be registered if the owner/operator wishes.

Ships that were originally registered in Australia under the British system (before 1982 ) were automatically transferred to the new register subject to nationality eligibility at the time of changeover.

The Australian Register of Ships currently lists the particulars of some 7,000 active ships.
I already stated that leaving from Australia, you would probably have to be Registered Under Australian Registration,
Coming into Australia, Victorian Registration was ample, Two different scenarios entirely,
Take it up with Customs, They run the laws, not me,

Under 12 metres, Can be registered if the owner wishes, Wishes, That is not compulsory,
__________________

__________________
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:39   #18
Registered User
 
SimonV's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia.
Posts: 1,316
Re: Registration USA to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I already stated that leaving from Australia, you would probably have to be Registered Under Australian Registration,
Coming into Australia, Victorian Registration was ample, Two different scenarios entirely,
Take it up with Customs, They run the laws, not me,

Under 12 metres, Can be registered if the owner wishes, Wishes, That is not compulsory,
This is the bit they will get you on

>A ship must be registered if the owner intends to use it for travel from Australia to places outside Australia or on voyages from foreign ports to other overseas destinations or to Australia.
__________________
Simon

https://svgoodonya.blogspot.com.au/
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:06   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne Australia
Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Posts: 1,616
Re: Registration USA to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
This is the bit they will get you on

>A ship must be registered if the owner intends to use it for travel from Australia to places outside Australia or on voyages from foreign ports to other overseas destinations or to Australia.
Thats correct,
But this boat we are talking about has never been to Australia,
Has not left from Australia,
It is only coming to Australia,

It is not under Australian jurisdiction untill it arrives in Australia,
So where it goes before it gets here is none of Australia's business or control,

It has to leave from Australia before any of that applies to the vessel in question,
__________________
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 16:19   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 63
Re: Registration USA to Australia

Wow,thankyou for all your help although everyone says something different.I will fill in a bit more.The boat was purchased in California.It is registered there and i have the registration papers.The old owner has changed the rego into my name which he filled in on the deed.I have the deed to the yacht,it is in the old owners name but he has signed the boat over to me on the papers.It is registered with California's motor vehicles.I went to the motor vehicles and they told me that I didnt need to change it in California and that it was upto the country I am taking it to as she said i have the deeds to the boat and they are signed over to me.I just wanted to know about leaving Mexico and sailing to OZ.I live in the state of QLD and that is where i am now.QLD is where the boat will be marined.
I checked into several slips on the way to Mexico in the USA and no-one had a problem with my documents.
Thankyou to the aussies with the info in Canberra.I will call them today and see what they say.I did ask someone in Ensanada about rego there and the chap said it was possible,but he was not an official but the slip manager.It is very confusing,this is why I asked in this thread.I am getting different views from you guys from the states and guys from OZ.
Also to the chap that said it smells,you got me there.Why would I be doing something dodgy when I am just asking for advice.i am not asking for naked women nymphos for crew.Just about registering a vessell.Yes it was me with the Islander,which is a long story and none of your business.I do own an Islander 34 and yes it is is Ensanda.Thankyou for all your advice and i hope for some more.Paul.
__________________
tour72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 16:25   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Diego
Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Posts: 1,109
It sounds to me like you are very confused on terminology. Signing over a deed is a separate act from registration. From the level of confusion I am seeing, I would suggest you contact a lawyer in OZ to help you understand the finer points.
__________________
SV Sea Story adventures
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 16:32   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 63
Re: Registration USA to Australia

hi SimonV,you seem to know more then anyone else,also you seem to own an American boat.Would be great to talk to you.Paul.
__________________
tour72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 16:41   #23
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,467
Re: Registration USA to Australia

G'Day Tour,

Specific questions:

1. Have you officially cleared into Mexico?

2. Will they issue you a zarpe upon your departure. This document WILL be required when clearing into your next country, whether that be Oz or an intermediate stop. If you leave Mexico without this document, you WILL have difficulties, unless you return to the US where it may be less of a problem.

3.Why would you not have new California registration in your name? Not having such will very likely cause difficulties when clearing into countries, especially in non-English speaking third world places.

We have not had any problems with officials travelling the same general route that you propose using our state of Illinois rego... but we are Yanks with a permanent address in Chicago. I'm not so sure that you as an Aussie citizen would fare as well, but I have no data to support that feeling. I endorse the idea of contacting the folks in power(Canberra, that is) before you depart.

Good luck, mate!

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 16:54   #24
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 63
Re: Registration USA to Australia

I didnt officially clear in Mexico,I didnt know I needed to.Funny i was there for 6 weeks and no-one even mentioned it to me.The people at the marina are very helpfull though and i am in touch with them.I was naive and though i would be stopped crossing borders and entering as such.I didnt even see another boat from San Deigo to Ensanda.I will call Canberra today,another chap is saying i don't need to regoo in OZ if under 12 metres (which i am just!).Thin k I will get on the phone to Canberra now and keep the thread posted.Cheers.Paul.
__________________
tour72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 17:49   #25
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,312
Images: 75
Re: Registration USA to Australia

if you havent cleared into mexico when you arrived i wouldnt reccomend trying to clear out when you leave!

make sure you have a good set of papers for the vessel though for when you arrive in hawaii or marquesas,they will generally overlook your lack of a zarpe from your last port.

coast hopping from ensenada down the mexico cost without a clearance is going to set off alarm bells sooner or later once they realise the lenth of time the boat has been in mexico.
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 17:55   #26
Registered User
 
Surfer Girl's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 159
Re: Registration USA to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Thats correct,
But this boat we are talking about has never been to Australia,
Has not left from Australia,
It is only coming to Australia,

It is not under Australian jurisdiction untill it arrives in Australia,
So where it goes before it gets here is none of Australia's business or control,

It has to leave from Australia before any of that applies to the vessel in question,

Not quite. To sail in international waters, a vessel must be registered (flagged) to a country. This is international law.
It seems you were quite lucky to get away with sailing an un-flagged ship from Fiji to Australia.
tour72 is very lucky to have done the same from USA to Mexico and I think the advice a previous poster gave to him is spot on - if the Mexican authorities get a a hold of him he will be in big strife. Slip back quietly into US waters and get his vessel Aussie rego at fast as possible....
__________________

Surfer Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 18:02   #27
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St Augustine, FL
Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Posts: 2,838
Re: Registration USA to Australia

If you have a relative or mate in the UK, go with SSR. Do it online with there address. I believe the "local" rego in OZ is simple and easy. I sold my boat in Brisbane in 2006 and the new owner/ buyer did the QLD rego before the duty was fully paid or money transfered. It appeared the same as SSR.

Maybe not legal to leave OZ with that rego, but you will certainly get into Hawaii and down the line with any type of official looking form.
__________________
Check out my MoJo: Facebook.com/mojomarine1
Boatguy30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 18:13   #28
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne Australia
Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Posts: 1,616
Re: Registration USA to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Girl View Post
Not quite. To sail in international waters, a vessel must be registered (flagged) to a country. This is international law.
It seems you were quite lucky to get away with sailing an un-flagged ship from Fiji to Australia.
tour72 is very lucky to have done the same from USA to Mexico and I think the advice a previous poster gave to him is spot on - if the Mexican authorities get a a hold of him he will be in big strife. Slip back quietly into US waters and get his vessel Aussie rego at fast as possible....
My vessel was never unflagged at any time, it went from USCG to Aussie flag at the same time,

It just happened in the middle of the ocean, And no, I wasnt lucky with Customs, I could prove who the owner was and the address of the boats home at all times,

If you really want to be picky, My boat was registered to me before I left Australia as an Australian boat,

It had never left from Australia, So Australian law did not apply to it untill I got it here,

So in fact, It was flagged USA and Australian at the same time,
I also carried two Epirbs, One registered to the USA, PO, and one to Australia, Mine,
__________________
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 18:18   #29
Registered User
 
Surfer Girl's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 159
Re: Registration USA to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tour72 View Post
I didnt officially clear in Mexico,I didnt know I needed to.Funny i was there for 6 weeks and no-one even mentioned it to me.The people at the marina are very helpfull though and i am in touch with them.I was naive and though i would be stopped crossing borders and entering as such.I didnt even see another boat from San Deigo to Ensanda.I will call Canberra today,another chap is saying i don't need to regoo in OZ if under 12 metres (which i am just!).Thin k I will get on the phone to Canberra now and keep the thread posted.Cheers.Paul.

Paul, you have been naive. Mate, you need to read up on the requirements and legalities of moving a vessel from one countries territorial waters into another countries territorial waters. And also when crossing international waters to arrive in another country. If your ships papers aren't in order, if you don't have 'clear out' (zarpe) papers from last port of departure when entering another country, etc, there could be serious consequences, big fines, etc.
Also, your passport has to be processed by each counties Immigration just like it would if you were flying and going through international airports!
Mate, you don't want to spoil your cruising adventure by being arrested in some foreign country and your yacht confiscated!!
As, a previous poster said, contact AMSA get all the forms, find out (back in the USA) what papers you need or how to get the US yacht 'exported' from the USA and get your yacht legally registered.
You might have to deal with bureaucracy and pay some tax but it will save you a lot of grief later on....
Good luck!
__________________

Surfer Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 18:22   #30
Registered User
 
Surfer Girl's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 159
Re: Registration USA to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
My vessel was never unflagged at any time.....

OK, my mistake. I misunderstood your post....
__________________

__________________

Surfer Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Australia, registration, australia

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:09.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.