Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2009, 15:29   #1

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Registration Numbers

Currently my vessel is registered with California, but I don't have the numbers in place. To save $10 and not bother with the stickers, can I instead register with the USCG, and therefore not need registration numbers because the boat has only sail power?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2009, 16:10   #2

Boat: C & C Landfall 38
Here's the link for documentation:

USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, FAQ Page
iiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2009, 17:06   #3

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Yes, you can document your vessal for about $300 and not have to display state registration numbers. There would be no yearly fees.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2009, 17:45   #4

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
A quick call to your county courthouse will give you the answer you need. I know in many states, having USCG documentation does not mean the state no longer wants your registration fees.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2009, 20:48   #5

Boat: Allied Princess 36'
Your home port state may require you to register whether you are documented or not. I believe there might yearly fee for Documenting now, but not sure.
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2009, 23:29   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
In California it is not necessary if you are documented federally to have state registration. Registering with the state is actually less of a hassle.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 04:08   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I believe there might yearly fee for Documenting now, but not sure.
Nope. See the above link for all the USCG requiremnts, forms and fees. The FAQ link is actually easy to underdstand and you can get all the forms ytou need and print them out. Your title can be registered there and you are done forever for one fee. You just mail back the form they send evry year to assert your address is still correct with no fees required.

States have a whole other set of issues related to taxes. Use tax (aka Sales Tax), personal property tax, and sticker fees on a regualr a basis can all apply or not apply no matter if the boat has a state or a USCG title certificate.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 04:33   #8
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
You also still need to affix numbers for documentation, albeit not on the outside. They require permanently affixed documentation inside the hull that cannot be handily removed. Mine has plastic numbers in anchor locker with clear epoxy applied over. Documentation fees for us were between 80 90 bucks with a 10$ per page recording fee for accompanying paperwork. As stated registration varies from state to state. Florida requires registration, but no registration number displayed, just colored year sticker. South carolina doesn't require registration for documented vessels.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 20:50   #9

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
In California it is not necessary if you are documented federally to have state registration. Registering with the state is actually less of a hassle.
Registering with the state requires the numbers on the boat even if it is non motorized if it is more than 12 feet long. Also a yearly fee. If I am registered with just the state and not the USCG, is that sufficient documentation for traveling to other countries?

If I were to register with the coast guard, and claim no home port, or a home port like some landlocked town in a state that does not require registration of non-motorized vehicles, then I would be except from all future fees, and a registration number would not be required correct?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2009, 08:54   #10

Boat: pilot cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckosenator View Post
Registering with the state requires the numbers on the boat even if it is non motorized if it is more than 12 feet long. Also a yearly fee. If I am registered with just the state and not the USCG, is that sufficient documentation for traveling to other countries?

If I were to register with the coast guard, and claim no home port, or a home port like some landlocked town in a state that does not require registration of non-motorized vehicles, then I would be except from all future fees, and a registration number would not be required correct?
Vessel registration in California is less than $50, and renewal is biannual with a fee of $20. According to the Coast Guard federal regs, if your vessel is not a Coast Guard Documented vessel, then it needs to be a state registered vessel and display the federally required 'AA 1234 AA' state registration numbering format in minimum 3" basic font on the forward half of the hull regardless of what state it hails from.
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2009, 09:11   #11

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
When I refinanced my California registered boat with an East Coast lender, they registered my boat with the USCG.
About four months later I received a document from the folks at the Calif. Sales Tax claiming that the USCG had informed them that I'd purchsed a boat and owned California the sales tax for the amount refinanced. The alleged date of sale matched the refinance date.
A polite "go to hell" letter with a copy of my original purchase contract cleared up the issue.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2009, 13:38   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
The dinghy requires registration in any state water she sails if motorized. While having another state registration on the dinghy may keep the law off. Having none and saying it's not required is probably not going to go your way. If your boat is US Documented it means absolutely nothing at all when it comes to the dinghy. You can name any home port you choose so long as it is a place (it does not need to be a city) in the US. You don't have to live or keep the boat there either. It probably won't mean anything no mater what you choose. The real address on the documentation is supposed to be your mailing address. When the state gets the info from the USCG they get the mailing address too. They don't care about your home port. Tax guys are not stupid. You can't just make that up as you need to renew the documentation papers each year on the anniversary and disclose your mailing address.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
registration