Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2012, 19:55   #1

Boat: SAGA 27 AK
Registration in two countries?

Anyone know if it is ok to register a sailboat in two countries at the same time. For example state registration in Florida and SSR in the uk?
Old 21-04-2012, 21:37   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Re: Registration in two countries?

In all of my years of sailing, I have never seen a boat with registration in two different countries at the same time. There are plenty of people sailing on yachts that are a different nationality for where the boat is registered or documented. But two documentations sounds like it wouldn't work out. Especially when you sail to another country. That would really cause confusion among officialdom.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 21:41   #3

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

I don't even think you can register a boat in Canada if it is already registered in another country without first going through a de-registration procedure first, and only if you qualify personally to register the boat in the first place.
Old 21-04-2012, 21:59   #4

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Just looked it up:

According to Transport Canada,

Quote:
Further, if at the time of application, the vessel was registered in a foreign country, before Canadian registration could be effected, the owner shall provide evidence in the form of an original or true copy of a written document, such as a Deletion Certificate or an Abstract or Transcript of Registry. This provides proof that the foreign registry is closed and is free and clear of all encumbrances. The Registrar at the vessel's foreign port of registry issues these documents.
Old 21-04-2012, 22:20   #5

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

why would one want to register in two different jurisdictions? sounds extra-costly and illegal (although some sovereign states in the US require state registration even if one already has U.S. government registration/documentation.)
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 03:02   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

The SSR in the uK is a unusual register, in that its not really a proper international register, ( Thats Part 1). It was created to get around the fact that the UK doesn't need leisure yachts to be registered, but Europe did and so the UK created this simple system to provide the paperwork.

National registers like Part 1 in the UK, will require evidence that the previous register entry was extinguished , ( by way of a deflaging cert.) before they will allow a vessel to be registered. The IMO convention that setup such vessel registration is clear about that , you cannot be on two national registrations at once. Of course common sense would tell you that anyway, since what home countries rules would you apply.

Dave
Old 22-04-2012, 03:46   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

My take is that as State Registration is not a "proper" internationally recognised ship registration (even though in some countries it no doubt is accepted as OK to visit with) then it doesn't matter, and therefore doesn't count. (same way as over here in Jersey boats are meant to be registered with the local harbour office (really as a counting excercise - for what reason I know not!), but that alone don't get you into other countries - my boat could therefore be termed as "Jersey Registered" and also (quite legally and properly) on the national Ship Register of the UK (SSR or Part 1), the US or Mongolia! (as long as I / the boat met the requirements for those registers).

SSR being a national register and also internationally recognised (even though, as GBN said, really only a bureaucratic fudge) would (IMO = don't blame me if I am wrong!) not conflict with a State Registration. Hell, come over here and you could also be Jersey Registered!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 03:55   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
SSR being a national register and also internationally recognise
under the principles of comity, yes. But I do not believe the SSR qualifies under the IMO treaty. It merely confirms the "nationality" of the vessel. A full ships register confers "proof of title" which the SSR does not.
Old 22-04-2012, 04:18   #9
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
under the principles of comity, yes. But I do not believe the SSR qualifies under the IMO treaty. It merely confirms the "nationality" of the vessel. A full ships register confers "proof of title" which the SSR does not.
Fair points.........but the SSR is accepted (in practice) internationally as a "proper" yacht registration (and a squillion?! yachts have travelled the world with it - send the guinea pigs on ahead ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 06:49   #10

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Be careful with terminology. The term 'register' and 'document' have different meanings depending on where you are.

My vessel is USCG documented AND Florida 'registered'. Of course, the Florida 'registration' is simply a mechanism for the state to extract money from my wallet and has nothing to do with ownership nor documentation of the vessel. So a vessel documented 'anywhere' (foreign or domestic), that is transiting Florida state jurisdictional waters for more than 90 days and does not have a US CBP cruising license (AFAIK, the only exemption) MUST (according to Florida state law) 'register' the vessel in Florida and pay the appropriate 'fee'.

The Florida 'registration fee' for my vessel is $135/year. The amount varies by where the registration is purchased, state law allows counties to add surcharges on top of the state fee, mine is purchased in a county that does not participate in that additional rip-off. The registration is valid state-wide when purchased from any Florida county.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 07:11   #11

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Our Trawler is US documented, Fla registered, and Bahamian regestered. No Problem.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 07:16   #12

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

It is an interesting question your are asking since, the UK registration requires citizenship, but Florida State Regitration does not. My assumption is you are a UK Citizen, with you and/or the boat in Florida.

Although, unlikely, in this day and age of infomation sharing, having two registrations could expose you to tax in both the respective jurisdictions, not to mention that you could be exposed to unnecessary scutiny by Port Officials, wondering why a vessel has two flags.

So my questions is why would you consider such a thing?

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 07:26   #13

Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
Our Trawler is US documented, Fla registered, and Bahamian regestered. No Problem.
Interesting since under Title USC TItle 46 you are required to reliquish foreign title before obtaining US Documentation and could be in violation of US Code for holding The Bahamian Registration:

§ 67.55 Requirement for removal from foreign registry.

The owner of a vessel must present evidence of removal of the vessel from foreign registry whenever:
(a) The owner applies for initial documentation of a vessel that has at any time been registered under the laws of a foreign country; or
(b) The owner applies for reentry into documentation of a vessel that had been registered under the laws of a foreign country since it was last documented under the laws of the United States.

Here is a link to Title 46, with everything you every want to know about Documenting a Vessel in the US.

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:

Old 22-04-2012, 07:30   #14

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Duty paid in the Bahamas, no need for a crusing permit or time restrictions on staying.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 07:43   #15

I understand your reasoning to avoid fees... But how do you get around carring two flags?

Tags
registration