Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 15:48   #1

Registering / Documenting Boat Located in Greece-non-EU boat, non-EU Skipper

Hello all,

Having some difficulties here. The purchase is done but am having problems registering the boat and it would appear the boatyard wants to see a copy of the registration in order to launch the boat for the summer season.

First attempt: I tried registering in UK with a Bermuda address but they don't consider that a resident of UK so declined. I do not have any other addresses to use.

Second attempt: I am trying to document with USCG but the Bill of Sale that the broker drew up and had notarized by both seller and buyer is not sufficient for USCG. Now the seller is absolutely refusing to notarize a USCG-specific Bill of Sale. So I'm not sure I'm going to be able to document.

Third attempt: I looked on website for State of California registration and it states quite clearly that the boat must be located in California to qualify.

Fourth attempt!: Someone suggested registering in State of Delaware. I may try this. But the application also asks which state boat will be used in.

ugh.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? This has been a very trying process and the registration is turning out to be just as much of a headache as the purchase.

Thanks all ahead of time.

US Greek
usgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 15:58   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Document in a suitable US state tell them that's where the boat will be, get the documents, launch the boat, get out of Greece.
Old 11-03-2012, 16:05   #3

Re: Registering/documenting boat located in Greece-non-EU boat, non-EU skipper

Thanks. The thought has crossed my mind. :-) But Greece doesn't seem to be the biggest problem (at the moment). :-) And I really want to sail the Ionians for the summer. The nasty person is in England.

You have a good suggestion though...
usgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 17:03   #4
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgreek View Post
But the application also asks which state boat will be used in.
You can always change your mind after registration........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 17:16   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by usgreek
Thanks. The thought has crossed my mind. :-) But Greece doesn't seem to be the biggest problem (at the moment). :-) And I really want to sail the Ionians for the summer. The nasty person is in England.

You have a good suggestion though...
In general you cannot register in any EU registry without an address in the EU. So your options are limited if you want to hold onto EU registry. ( you could incorporate in the EU and wrap the boat in it, but that's a world of different hassle )

I would say you don't have much options unless you can find a convenient EU address. Then you could go for UK part 1 ( not the SSR ) .

Dave
Old 11-03-2012, 20:10   #6

Boat: Warwick Cardinal 46

Try the Cook Islands Registry in Raraotonga. to the best of my knowledge you don't need a Cook Island domicile to register in Cook Islands.
s/y spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 20:33   #7
cruiser

Possible this company can help you to register in Gibraltar; GIBRALTAR YACHT REGISTRATION...

CeesH
CeesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:34   #8

If you're trying to register with a Bermuda address, are you Bermudian (? spelling?) or hold a passport from UK or a British territory? Then you can register as an individual in:

Gibraltar
Bermuda
BVI
Cayman Islands
Seyshelles
[any other UK territory]

Just google the particular country's shipping register and go directly through them - you don't need to do it through a company.

If you're not British/Commonwealth/EU citizen, you will most likely have to register a company to hold the boat for you. The cheapest and easiest would, most likely, be BVI. Then with a BVI company, you still have an option of registering the boat in any Red Ensign jurisdiction.

If you're a US citizen, you can register in Delaware and get CG documentation. Just put state of use "outside of US" and you don't have to pay state taxes. If you're not a US citizen, you cannot get CG documentation for the vessel. And sailing with just a state registration out in the big blue is like going to Iran with just a US driver's licence

If you want to "just register the boat somewhere!" you could try Sierra Leone...
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 19:17   #9

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
With Delaware you have to state (wink wink) that you will use the boat in Delaware waters, Delaware is cheap and there is no sales tax so they will not chase you for the tax.

Tags
Greece, skipper