Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 04:01   #16
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mate View Post
Qld rego said you only need proof of purchase / reciept and a drivers liceince, and of course 406 bucks , or there abouts.
Not Queensland State rego you need the Registration of Ships. The state one you can get when you arrive back in Australia. You need the Aussie one before you leave the country where you bought the boat.

Australian Shipping Registration Office

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:23   #17

Well now Im showing my ignorance , never heard of it before .
Saying this why , do I need it then . Why cant i just register in Qld and be done with it .
The AU gov will already be tring to get there extra 15% , now Au rego as well as qld rego . I am confused .
Or can i just tranfer the existing rego , US or whatever and then just get Qld on return .
Again , I guess this has all been said before. But I got to tell you , Im getting real sick of these people who make legislations , simply because they think that if you can own a boat that big you can afford to pay more to the gov , or simply keeping themselves employed by making more forms.
Dont really have a clue what Im talking about , so please forgive if its all foot in mouth .
Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:27   #18

ps , I did also ph the Aust Maritime Safety people , thingy , and they said it was only nesecary for working boats , not for recreational cruisers.
Im probably wrong .
Old 07-10-2010, 04:29   #19
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Dont really have a clue what Im talking about , so please forgive if its all foot in mouth .
There are far more informative threads on this subject than this one and it would be good for you to check them all out.
The process is complicated and dificult and takes research.

Basically if you do what you suggest you will not be able to clear out of the country you buy the boat in, nor will you be able to clear into any other country or transit the Panama Canal.

Your boat will end up being confiscated somewhere along the way.

Obviously this is not what you intend.

Now, you need to do the reading up on this. Its important.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:40   #20

Just reading the link to ASRO above , and I gotto tell , these clever people are far clevera than me , because I am more confused than before . I best get reading , Thanks.

Why register a yacht, cruiser or fishing boat?

Although such vessels are not required by law to be registered, the following safeguards and benefits are available through registration:
Registration of title in the vessel
  • Your ownership is recorded in the Register.
  • Registration gives good title' to the vessel which cannot be overturned by the holder of an earlier interest unless you had notice of that interest when you purchased it.
  • Registration of ownership is similar in many respects to having ownership of your house registered at the Land Titles Office.
Australian nationality for the vessel
  • A vessel on the high seas is, under international law, required to have nationality.
  • Registration is the process by which a vessel will be accorded Australian protection on the high seas and in foreign ports.
Use of the vessel as security for a mortgage
  • Many financial institutions, such as banks and finance companies, require a vessel to be registered before they will lend money using the vessel as security.
Ability to sail overseas
  • It is an offence for an Australian-owned vessel to sail for a foreign port unless it is registered in the Australian Register of Ships.
  • Note: vessels purchased overseas by Australians are also required to be registered before they sail for Australia or another foreign country.
Increased value of the vessel
  • Registration will make re-sale easier and add value to your vessel because the purchaser can be assured of 'good title'.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:46   #21
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:

It is an offence for an Australian-owned vessel to sail for a foreign port unless it is registered in the Australian Register of Ships.
see? They'll shoot you as well

Those paper pushers have us boat owners under the thumb!

Have fun with it all.

It does work out well in the end..

Old 07-10-2010, 04:54   #22

Can I assume that if you have Australian Registration , you then dont need your own state rego on return .
More reading .
Old 07-10-2010, 04:57   #23
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Lets make it simple: If you own a yacht in Australia, it must be STATE registered in the state you live in (I think NT is the exception). There minor differences between various state requirements.

If you want to enter or leave Australian waters (ie come or go international), the vessel must have NATIONAL registration.

The detail from here on gets more complex
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:00   #24
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Can I assume that if you have Australian Registration , you then dont need your own state rego on return .
Sorry - wrong, each state wants their share of the tax pie.
Quote:
More reading .
Yes

The only good news is the Australian registration is a once only fee.
The bad news - State fees are yearly.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:10   #25

Boat: Able 50
You guys are all missing the point.

Flag of registration means nothing when time comes to sell a foreign boat in Australia. Country of purchase means EVERYTHING. For almost everywhere you will have to pay 15% duty and for USA or NZ 10%. If you buy in USA then hold on to the bill of sale, besides boats are dirt cheap in Florida. You can get your boat in to Australia as a tourist vessel with no duty for 3 months but as soon as you advertise you become liable for duty. It might be easier to pay on arrival. Unless your buyer is a fool he will refuse to settle until duty is paid.

As for the rest of you whiners, quitchawhinin ! Puhhhlllennty of countries want 25% duty on a yacht. EU typical is 20%.

No matter where you buy, be sure to register somewhere before leaving the dock. BVI is cheap.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:18   #26
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
So what about an Aussie buying in US or BVI somwhere , can they register straight away upon the sale in AU flag/rego, or do you wait till in Aus waters .
What then do you do about insurance . Who will insure an Aussie bringing a boat back home and then cruising our own coast.
Probably find thes answers if I look , I think these are old questions.
darren
And Darren, if you want to cruise then you may not need state registraion at all. The requirement is more than 3 months. So if you are bringing it home and going to be in that state for less than 3 months prior to crusing off, say to NSW, then you state not need state rego.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:25   #27

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Spoke to Qld Rego today and they said you have to do it in person , why , I dont know . Maybe to make sure you are the one who is registering it .
I will have time to do this probably anyway if/ when I ever purchase, as long as the broker is happy to send the origanal documents back here asap.
Qld rego said you only need proof of purchase / reciept and a drivers liceince, and of course 406 bucks , or there abouts.
You are confusing state registration and national flag registration.

We were discussing Australian Flag registration which is not required for australian leisure craft inside australian waters but is if you are travelling abroad.

The state registration is a method devised to make travel around the country for the leisure sailor as difficult as possible, and also includes some state recreational skipper's tickets. Of course these are not transferrable between states - so yes you guessed it, another stealth tax.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:28   #28

Boat: Able 50
Australian federal registration details here

Guide to registering a ship
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:35   #29

Boat: Prout Snowgoose Elite, 37' - "Coral Kuching"
Hoping this is of some help

Hi Mate,

I went down the same street some 3 years ago when I purchased a British registered (Small Ship's Register) vessel in Malaysia; so I hope this bit of feedback will assist in some small way.

The required paperwork went backwards and forwards to Canberra a few times with additional information requirements but was sorted out, despite my being away from my Brisbane address for most of the time. All up the process took around 2 months from start, to being issued an Australian vessel registration number and the required must have, Registration Certificate.

One of the requirements that had to be supplied was a letter from the country/body of the vessels current registration, stating that the owner had cancelled the country's existing registration. Without this cancellation letter, you will not be issued an Australian registration. (Stops dual registration).

Contacts details are:

Registrar of Ships
Australian Shipping Registration Office
GPO Box 2181
Canberra ACT 2601
Australia

Ph. (02) 62795921
email: sro@amsa.gov.au
web: www.amsa.gov.au

As an afterthought, don't forget to get your radio callsign sorted out as well. (Yet another paperwork exercise

Good luck and I hope all goes well and on the positive side, as mentioned previously, it is a once only exercise, thankfully.

Cheers
Darryl
SY Coral Kuching
Darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:47   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
The state registration is a method devised to make travel around the country for the leisure sailor as difficult as possible, .
Thats funny cause its true
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, import, resell