Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2014, 16:33   #181

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Re: Rebel Heart Lawsuit

Amazing that some just don't get life...
Reading CF gives you knowledge to a point...but to have the wisdom to take on a dangerous voyage...yes you must temper that with experience. It doesn't have to be a crossing...just enough bluewater that things have come up and you were there to help them being handled.

All the training in the world can allow you to do so something...only experience gives you the mental tools to keep going when things go wrong.
Old 24-07-2014, 16:34   #182

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Blogs are just like a fake "reality show" folks.
Once the characters and personalities are build on the blog, the participants become almost actors putting on a show for the readers. The best blogs do this in a way that makes the readers think they are talking real life, when the reality is just as dramatized and scripted as Kim Kardashian.
Amazing how we can disagree on some things and then agree on others.

Sure, some blogs are exactly as you said it.

Cheers,
b.
Old 24-07-2014, 16:50   #183

Quote:
Blogs are just like a fake "reality show" folks.
Once the characters and personalities are build on the blog, the participants become almost actors putting on a show for the readers. The best blogs do this in a way that makes the readers think they are talking real life, when the reality is just as dramatized and scripted as Kim Kardashian.
Except that in Charlotte's blog, she in NUMEROUS places states that her blog is a true and accurate display of her real life on board her boat. She states that she "keeps it real" by she portraying actual life and the real experiences she has every day so that others can see a real example of the ups and downs of liveaboard.

Over and over again she states that everything is true and real on her blog.
Old 24-07-2014, 16:55   #184

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spleen View Post
Except that in Charlotte's blog, she in NUMEROUS places states that her blog is a true and accurate display of her real life on board her boat. She states that she "keeps it real" by she portraying actual life and the real experiences she has every day so that others can see a real example of the ups and downs of liveaboard.

Real or real in her mind?
Old 24-07-2014, 17:09   #185
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spleen View Post

And holywood makes "Based on a True Story" movies all the time....so what's your point that Movies, Reality Shows and the RH Blog was True and Accurate...ha ha ha...not a chance.

The Blog was about helping to fund the dream by selling books and generating ad revenue clicks. Talk to the folks that knew RH in Mexico...and they will tell you they were different than the roles they were playing/portraying in the blog. I've played the blog game and made the several hundred dollars per month from blog visitors, so I have a little personal experience here (oh not that again). Once you start making money from your blog it isn't reality anymore. It becomes a way to make money and becomes work. The storyline, the characters, the script.

Maybe my problem is that I talk to open and honest about things letting people look under the hood and behind the scenes too much. But I've talked to and met most of the big name popular bloggers out there and it's all a "job" to them not some romantic, This is how it really is love story between you and their closest 10,000 followers.

So was Charlotte telling lies when she said her blog was real life....no.
She was playing out the role the readers wanted to see, liked and kept coming back to get more of. If you want a TRUE Story of what life is like out cruising, then the best way is to go do it yourself (and of course blog about it).
Old 24-07-2014, 17:59   #186

Quote:
And holywood makes "Based on a True Story" movies all the time....so what's your point that Movies, Reality Shows and the RH Blog was True and Accurate...ha ha ha...not a chance.

The Blog was about helping to fund the dream by selling books and generating ad revenue clicks. Talk to the folks that knew RH in Mexico...and they will tell you they were different than the roles they were playing/portraying in the blog. I've played the blog game and made the several hundred dollars per month from blog visitors, so I have a little personal experience here (oh not that again). Once you start making money from your blog it isn't reality anymore. It becomes a way to make money and becomes work. The storyline, the characters, the script.

Maybe my problem is that I talk to open and honest about things letting people look under the hood and behind the scenes too much. But I've talked to and met most of the big name popular bloggers out there and it's all a "job" to them not some romantic, This is how it really is love story between you and their closest 10,000 followers.

So was Charlotte telling lies when she said her blog was real life....no.
She was playing out the role the readers wanted to see, liked and kept coming back to get more of. If you want a TRUE Story of what life is like out cruising, then the best way is to go do it yourself (and of course blog about it).
I appreciate the information-- there I was taking people at their words.

Good to know not to do that. Thanks.

ETA: I believe in the old fashioned way of paying for a lifestyle through an honest, non-manipulative living. But that's just me.
Old 24-07-2014, 17:59   #187

Boat: Norseman 447

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
Whilst I don't have a sat phone and don't know how they are set up ie what type of calls can be made on them from my experience when my yacht sank I originally sent out a distress call on VHF but I had hand held SH HX851 which I used to talk to Istanbul radio until battery went flat but my point in this is I had my normal every day blackberry phone which at the time had a Greek SIM card in it but out of credit but I was still able to make emergency calls on it. In which I did and they the operator redirected my calls to the Coast guard as I had drifted about 8 to 10 nm from when I sent out the distress call .

So do these sat phones have these facility's to do emergency calls or not ( if out of credit etc ) if they do I can't see how RH could sue phone company

I am 99% sure that when our Sat phone got turned off 1/2 way across the S. Atlantic a few months ago ( different San Diego provider, SIM card problem, and 100+ minutes remaining) they said I had no service but emergency calls would go thru! I needed weather!
Old 24-07-2014, 18:03   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Real or real in her mind?
The answer is, yes.
Old 24-07-2014, 18:07   #189

Boat: Skookum 53'

I had to talk myself out of suicide after reading this thread.
Old 24-07-2014, 20:40   #190

Seems foolish to think we can't know things without having done them. I'm a father and wouldn't plan a big road trip in populated areas of ConUS with sick little kids, let alone a trip across the Pacific. Do I need to cruise with kids in a sailboat to make a judgement here?

Seems that they are lucky to all be alive after the rash of mistakes. World's finest Navy to the rescue. (Former Navy guy myself).

Then to sue and have a good chance of profiting from their mistakes. It rubs many the wrong way. It fails the 'what would reasonable people think' test.

Yes, from the info I have read and seen, the phone provider messed up.
Did they cause the problem here? I say they did not.

911 doesn't even work across all of the USA. I can't imagine a SAT phone provider would be expected to have emergency # for free, but it would be nice.

Lawsuits can have positive outcomes but also can raise the price of the service and put providers out of business sometimes for stupid reasons.

I hope these kids survive their upbringing. Probably be stronger for it.
Old 24-07-2014, 21:33   #191

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Talk to the folks that knew RH in Mexico...and they will tell you they were different than the roles they were playing/portraying in the blog.
I'm curious - for those who knew them in Mexico, were they different than the roles they are playing now?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 25-07-2014, 11:29   #192

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Oh, if only we could harness the energy spent on composing and typing posts on any topic that features the phrase "Rebel Heart". It might be enough to make a boat move off a dock.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 25-07-2014, 12:02   #193
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Oh, if only we could harness the energy spent on composing and typing posts on any topic that features the phrase "Rebel Heart". It might be enough to make a boat move off a dock.
Or we could charge $0.01 per word penalty (or Tax as Judge Roberts calls it now) and donate it to the "Buy Rebel Heart a new 50ft Cat fund"...heck then they could drop this ridiculous lawsuit and get on with rebuilding their lives.
Old 25-07-2014, 12:06   #194

Boat: Catalina 30

What I get out of all of this is, that this age of self importance and broadcasting everything about your life on the internet because every aspect of it is so important can bite you in the ass.

Lets look at this law suit had no blog existed. Even with all the posts on CF the defense would have far less to go on. Now instead of pure speculation they have multitudes of words right from the horses mouth.

My 2 lessons learned are:

Deleting my face book account years ago was the best thing I could do

and

Watch what you broadcast because you just never freaking no what will happen in your life. Sometimes a little mystery/privacy is a good thing
Old 25-07-2014, 12:38   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
What I get out of all of this is, that this age of self importance and broadcasting everything about your life on the internet because every aspect of it is so important can bite you in the ass.

Lets look at this law suit had no blog existed. Even with all the posts on CF the defense would have far less to go on. Now instead of pure speculation they have multitudes of words right from the horses mouth.

My 2 lessons learned are:

Deleting my face book account years ago was the best thing I could do

and

Watch what you broadcast because you just never freaking no what will happen in your life. Sometimes a little mystery/privacy is a good thing
That's assuming that your lawsuit is predicated upon lies, or that your blog is full of lies.

Maybe I'm over thinking this, but I've always stuck to the truth, less crap to remember in case anything goes wrong. There's nothing wrong with having a blog or filing a lawsuit, as long as they are both based on the truth and facts.

As soon as you assume some sort of persona and "embellish" (as liars like to call it) then you get into a whole different realm. Now you end up trying to explain which one was the truth and which one you're "embellishing." That leaves it up to others to "interpret" and the way I interpret things is once a liar, always a liar. Why assume either one is the truth?
Closed Thread