Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2014, 17:51   #151
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Rebel Heart Lawsuit

Time out!!!!

Let me get this straight, they washed diapers in the galley sink in cold water. Kid gets intestinal bug that comes, goes and returns. If this is valid, and if there was no santizing of everything the diapers touched, it does not take the CDC to realize the lack of hygiene is a probable source of infection.

Dang and I so tried not to say anything negative....
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 23-07-2014, 18:07   #152
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Yep...the diaper/sink incident was in their blog.
Old 23-07-2014, 18:10   #153

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Well -This thread is in its death spiral.

As I posted when I started this - All the woulda, coulda, shoulda was done to death in the other threads.

I hoped we would no go back to actions on the boat and keep this sorta around what the complaint says and how this plays out legally.

And if we don't avoid attacking RH - he is still a member here - or each other this thread will be closed for sure.

I'd like to see it stay open until Weather responds - It will be interesting to see the battle lines.

As far as attorney contingency fees? This is pipeline. I am sure as a good contingency lawyer he has a lot of cases in the pipeline. He knows how long it takes to get a court date and he will know what Whenever plans to use in defense soon. Then they wait each other out like a poker hand and see who blinks or folds or split the pot.

So far Gilleon has filed a couple of pieces of paper and put in maybe 10 hours. He has already been paid back in publicity.

Neither party wants to go to court, they will meet (maybe mandated by the court if they don't settle beforehand) and hash out a deal. Cheaper for all and then it's another round of poker on how the pot is split.

Anyway kids lets play nice!
The above is the likely scenario, and I hope this thread can stay open to be able to follow the history (with posting date stamps) of how the suit unfolds.
Old 23-07-2014, 18:22   #154

Boat: Valiant 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Well -This thread is in its death spiral.

As I posted when I started this - All the woulda, coulda, shoulda was done to death in the other threads.

I hoped we would no go back to actions on the boat and keep this sorta around what the complaint says and how this plays out legally.

And if we don't avoid attacking RH - he is still a member here - or each other this thread will be closed for sure.

I'd like to see it stay open until Weather responds - It will be interesting to see the battle lines.

As far as attorney contingency fees? This is pipeline. I am sure as a good contingency lawyer he has a lot of cases in the pipeline. He knows how long it takes to get a court date and he will know what Whenever plans to use in defense soon. Then they wait each other out like a poker hand and see who blinks or folds or split the pot.

So far Gilleon has filed a couple of pieces of paper and put in maybe 10 hours. He has already been paid back in publicity.

Neither party wants to go to court, they will meet (maybe mandated by the court if they don't settle beforehand) and hash out a deal. Cheaper for all and then it's another round of poker on how the pot is split.

Anyway kids lets play nice!
Thread in a Death Spiral?..

I'll tell you why.

1) Too many Monday morning quarterbacks.
2) Too many sanctimonious know-it-alls.
3) Too many failed wannabe lawyers
4) Too many people feel unashamed to offer unqualified and useless advice.
5) Too many people who have never been more than 500 yards from shore (if they've even been in a boat) and yet pretend they're the Smeetons.

Multiple combinations of (1) thru (5) all cheerfully offering their half baked, overtly judgmental and completely uninformed opinions all without any inhibitions. Actually, from what I have seen (5) is the prime ingredient for any thread going downhill.

That's why.!

This is the price of online anonymity that the rest of us have to suffer for.

Pretty much sums up any thread on the Cruisers Forums except the Engineering and Systems ones... (which by the way have been excellent.)
Old 23-07-2014, 18:26   #155
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post
Thread in a Death Spiral?..

I'll tell you why.

1) Too many Monday morning quarterbacks.
2) Too many sanctimonious know-it-alls.
3) Too many failed wannabe lawyers
4) Too many people feel unashamed to offer unqualified and useless advice.
5) Too many people who have never been more than 500 yards from shore (if they've even been in a boat) and yet pretend they're the Smeetons.

Multiple combinations of (1) thru (5) all cheerfully offering their half baked, overtly judgmental and completely uninformed opinions all without any inhibitions. Actually, from what I have seen (5) is the prime ingredient for any thread going downhill.

That's why.!

This is the price of online anonymity that the rest of us have to suffer for.

Pretty much sums up any thread on the Cruisers Forums except the Engineering and Systems ones... (which by the way have been excellent.)

Pretty proud of yourself aren't you? I truly wonder how many of these 5 you fit into. Good thing for you that you have online anonymity;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 23-07-2014, 18:33   #156

Boat: Silverton 42

.....so back to the lawsuit....if the nominal defendants don't respond is there a 'default' judgement that can apply? If they do respond then isn't there at least legal costs to the nominal defendants? I'm sure this was unintended.
Old 23-07-2014, 18:50   #157

Boat: Valiant 50

smj.. actually none...

I never offer opinions unless I have first hand knowledge and experience. I never criticize anyone's decisions or choices because I was not there at the time.

Which is why I feel qualified to offer that opinion. And which is why I mainly stick to the Engineering and Systems forums.

And You? ..

Lastly ..no anonymity from me.. feel free to PM me and I will give you my email and my location.
Old 23-07-2014, 18:54   #158
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post
smj.. actually none...

I never offer opinions unless I have first hand knowledge and experience. I never criticize anyone's decisions or choices because I was not there at the time.

Which is why I feel qualified to offer that opinion. And which is why I mainly stick to the Engineering and Systems forums.

And You? ..

Lastly ..no anonymity from me.. feel free to PM me and I will give you my email and my location.

Yet you are offering opinions on most of the posters on CF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 23-07-2014, 20:56   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
For your very first post this is what you offered up?

The makeup of CF is changing before me eyes and I don't care for what I'm seeing.
I'm glad I am not the only one noticing the changing demographic of this forum. Once it was Cruisers talking to Cruisers, now it seems the Cruisers are having to justify themselves to the armchair folk who argue they now better.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Old 24-07-2014, 05:47   #160

Boat: a sailing boat

Sure, comments from those who have sailed X mile off something would differ from those by people who are sailing greenhorns.

And what difference does it make?

Do you imply some comments are better than others?

Wake up from your dream. The power of the Forum, of any forum, is in its diversity, not in limiting our appreciation to a limited circle of those "who know".

A great idea, a great thought, a great finding is as likely to come from a greenhorn. And in my book, more likely.

barnakiel
el greenhorn
Old 24-07-2014, 06:01   #161

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Like I tell my kids.....

Knowledge anyone can have and sometimes greenhorns and youth possess the vigor to more thoroughly investigate an issue.

Experience comes from doing...

Knowledge + experience = wisdom

that of curse is in many (not all) cases....often a singular event is equated with experience and nothing can be farther from the truth.
Old 24-07-2014, 06:11   #162

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

Whilst I don't have a sat phone and don't know how they are set up ie what type of calls can be made on them from my experience when my yacht sank I originally sent out a distress call on VHF but I had hand held SH HX851 which I used to talk to Istanbul radio until battery went flat but my point in this is I had my normal every day blackberry phone which at the time had a Greek SIM card in it but out of credit but I was still able to make emergency calls on it. In which I did and they the operator redirected my calls to the Coast guard as I had drifted about 8 to 10 nm from when I sent out the distress call .

So do these sat phones have these facility's to do emergency calls or not ( if out of credit etc ) if they do I can't see how RH could sue phone company
Old 24-07-2014, 07:01   #163
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Do you imply some comments are better than others?
Oh absolutely, 100% without a doubt some comments and opinions are better than others!

In the world I live in, not everyone gets a participation trophy or award just for showing up to boost their self image and self esteim.

An electrician's comments on wiring are "better" than the comments of a guy that has never lived in a house with electricity.

The opinion of someone that has cruised offshore is "better" than an opinion of someone who has never been on a sailboat.

The real world isn't a Holiday Inn commercial...in the real world there is more to learned from an pilot about flying than from a cowboy that has never flown.

I hate to be the one to break this news, but in the real world all opinions are not equal, nor should we want them to be. Experience and knowladge of a topic has value and if it doesn't then the next time your car check engine light comes on be sure to take your car to the local tailor rather than mechanic....after all....who are you to Judge and say some people's opinions on a topic are better than others....right....
Old 24-07-2014, 07:49   #164

Well written S/V Third day!
Old 24-07-2014, 08:26   #165
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
I hate to be the one to break this news, but in the real world all opinions are not equal, nor should we want them to be. Experience and knowladge of a topic has value and if it doesn't then the next time your car check engine light comes on be sure to take your car to the local tailor rather than mechanic....after all....who are you to Judge and say some people's opinions on a topic are better than others....right....
Yes.

And in the real world you go to Mainesail's shop and you tell him what you want and he charges you. And if you are gonna lay out $5,000 you might get a second opinion not because you don't trust MS, it's because $5,000 is a lot of money.

The fact that we attract all manner of people and many professionals is a big strength. We learn over time who has it going on and who doesn't. The risk is newbie guy shows up, lays down one post and 12 opinions come out. Who does he believe?

There are professionals here that I disagree with. I won't name names but the guy who graduates last in med school is still called doctor.

Also there are "professional's" who are great theorists and there are real cruiser's who are great pragmatists.

Every battery thread answer starts with - You need 800+ a/h LiFeP04, a brand new engine, solar, charger system and a generator.

I've seen the professionals do it.

The guy's profile shows he has a 22 foot boat.

Maybe one in ten "early" responses to a question around here is a clarifying question - I think you yourself posted something about that a week or so ago. Understanding the real question.

Sometimes there is more learning in the dumb question or answer than there is in the canned "professional" response.

Oh, and this is the "free" internet where everyone gets to chime in. As we used to say, Caveat Aviator but headline - the internet is full of mistakes!
Closed Thread