Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2014, 18:51   #151
Registered User
 
Snore's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St Petersburg
Boat: Tartan 33
Posts: 1,879
Re: Rebel Heart Lawsuit

Time out!!!!

Let me get this straight, they washed diapers in the galley sink in cold water. Kid gets intestinal bug that comes, goes and returns. If this is valid, and if there was no santizing of everything the diapers touched, it does not take the CDC to realize the lack of hygiene is a probable source of infection.

Dang and I so tried not to say anything negative....
__________________

__________________
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline  
Old 23-07-2014, 19:07   #152
Marine Service Provider
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: La Paz, Mexico
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,653
Re: Rebel Heart Lawsuit

Yep...the diaper/sink incident was in their blog.
__________________

__________________
Rich Boren Goodbye Morro Bay...Hello La Paz, Mexico and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water
Technautic CoolBlue Refrigeration
SV THIRD DAY is offline  
Old 23-07-2014, 19:10   #153
Registered User
 
deckofficer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern and Southern California
Boat: too many
Posts: 4,198
Images: 4
Re: Rebel Heart Lawsuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Well -This thread is in its death spiral.

As I posted when I started this - All the woulda, coulda, shoulda was done to death in the other threads.

I hoped we would no go back to actions on the boat and keep this sorta around what the complaint says and how this plays out legally.

And if we don't avoid attacking RH - he is still a member here - or each other this thread will be closed for sure.

I'd like to see it stay open until Weather responds - It will be interesting to see the battle lines.

As far as attorney contingency fees? This is pipeline. I am sure as a good contingency lawyer he has a lot of cases in the pipeline. He knows how long it takes to get a court date and he will know what Whenever plans to use in defense soon. Then they wait each other out like a poker hand and see who blinks or folds or split the pot.

So far Gilleon has filed a couple of pieces of paper and put in maybe 10 hours. He has already been paid back in publicity.

Neither party wants to go to court, they will meet (maybe mandated by the court if they don't settle beforehand) and hash out a deal. Cheaper for all and then it's another round of poker on how the pot is split.

Anyway kids lets play nice!
The above is the likely scenario, and I hope this thread can stay open to be able to follow the history (with posting date stamps) of how the suit unfolds.
__________________
Bob
USCG Unlimited Tonnage Open Ocean (CMA)
http://tbuckets.lefora.com/
deckofficer is offline  
Old 23-07-2014, 19:22   #154
Registered User
 
neelie's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: On the boat
Boat: Valiant 50
Posts: 514
Re: Rebel Heart Lawsuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Well -This thread is in its death spiral.

As I posted when I started this - All the woulda, coulda, shoulda was done to death in the other threads.

I hoped we would no go back to actions on the boat and keep this sorta around what the complaint says and how this plays out legally.

And if we don't avoid attacking RH - he is still a member here - or each other this thread will be closed for sure.

I'd like to see it stay open until Weather responds - It will be interesting to see the battle lines.

As far as attorney contingency fees? This is pipeline. I am sure as a good contingency lawyer he has a lot of cases in the pipeline. He knows how long it takes to get a court date and he will know what Whenever plans to use in defense soon. Then they wait each other out like a poker hand and see who blinks or folds or split the pot.

So far Gilleon has filed a couple of pieces of paper and put in maybe 10 hours. He has already been paid back in publicity.

Neither party wants to go to court, they will meet (maybe mandated by the court if they don't settle beforehand) and hash out a deal. Cheaper for all and then it's another round of poker on how the pot is split.

Anyway kids lets play nice!
Thread in a Death Spiral?..

I'll tell you why.

1) Too many Monday morning quarterbacks.
2) Too many sanctimonious know-it-alls.
3) Too many failed wannabe lawyers
4) Too many people feel unashamed to offer unqualified and useless advice.
5) Too many people who have never been more than 500 yards from shore (if they've even been in a boat) and yet pretend they're the Smeetons.

Multiple combinations of (1) thru (5) all cheerfully offering their half baked, overtly judgmental and completely uninformed opinions all without any inhibitions. Actually, from what I have seen (5) is the prime ingredient for any thread going downhill.

That's why.!

This is the price of online anonymity that the rest of us have to suffer for.

Pretty much sums up any thread on the Cruisers Forums except the Engineering and Systems ones... (which by the way have been excellent.)
__________________
The light at the end of the tunnel are no longer the headlights of the oncoming train......yippee
neelie is offline  
Old 23-07-2014, 19:26   #155
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,654
Re: Rebel Heart Lawsuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post
Thread in a Death Spiral?..

I'll tell you why.

1) Too many Monday morning quarterbacks.
2) Too many sanctimonious know-it-alls.
3) Too many failed wannabe lawyers
4) Too many people feel unashamed to offer unqualified and useless advice.
5) Too many people who have never been more than 500 yards from shore (if they've even been in a boat) and yet pretend they're the Smeetons.

Multiple combinations of (1) thru (5) all cheerfully offering their half baked, overtly judgmental and completely uninformed opinions all without any inhibitions. Actually, from what I have seen (5) is the prime ingredient for any thread going downhill.

That's why.!

This is the price of online anonymity that the rest of us have to suffer for.

Pretty much sums up any thread on the Cruisers Forums except the Engineering and Systems ones... (which by the way have been excellent.)

Pretty proud of yourself aren't you? I truly wonder how many of these 5 you fit into. Good thing for you that you have online anonymity;-)


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
smj is offline  
Old 23-07-2014, 19:33   #156
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: BC
Boat: Silverton 42
Posts: 249
Re: Rebel Heart Lawsuit

.....so back to the lawsuit....if the nominal defendants don't respond is there a 'default' judgement that can apply? If they do respond then isn't there at least legal costs to the nominal defendants? I'm sure this was unintended.
__________________
Bill Lee is offline  
Old 23-07-2014, 19:50   #157
Registered User
 
neelie's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: On the boat
Boat: Valiant 50
Posts: 514
Re: Rebel Heart Lawsuit

smj.. actually none...

I never offer opinions unless I have first hand knowledge and experience. I never criticize anyone's decisions or choices because I was not there at the time.

Which is why I feel qualified to offer that opinion. And which is why I mainly stick to the Engineering and Systems forums.

And You? ..

Lastly ..no anonymity from me.. feel free to PM me and I will give you my email and my location.
__________________
The light at the end of the tunnel are no longer the headlights of the oncoming train......yippee
neelie is offline  
Old 23-07-2014, 19:54   #158
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,654
Re: Rebel Heart Lawsuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post
smj.. actually none...

I never offer opinions unless I have first hand knowledge and experience. I never criticize anyone's decisions or choices because I was not there at the time.

Which is why I feel qualified to offer that opinion. And which is why I mainly stick to the Engineering and Systems forums.

And You? ..

Lastly ..no anonymity from me.. feel free to PM me and I will give you my email and my location.

Yet you are offering opinions on most of the posters on CF.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
smj is offline  
Old 23-07-2014, 21:56   #159
Registered User
 
SimonV's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia.
Posts: 1,316
Re: Rebel Heart Lawsuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
For your very first post this is what you offered up?

The makeup of CF is changing before me eyes and I don't care for what I'm seeing.
I'm glad I am not the only one noticing the changing demographic of this forum. Once it was Cruisers talking to Cruisers, now it seems the Cruisers are having to justify themselves to the armchair folk who argue they now better.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Simon

https://svgoodonya.blogspot.com.au/
SimonV is offline  
Old 24-07-2014, 06:47   #160
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: Rebel Heart Lawsuit

Sure, comments from those who have sailed X mile off something would differ from those by people who are sailing greenhorns.

And what difference does it make?

Do you imply some comments are better than others?

Wake up from your dream. The power of the Forum, of any forum, is in its diversity, not in limiting our appreciation to a limited circle of those "who know".

A great idea, a great thought, a great finding is as likely to come from a greenhorn. And in my book, more likely.

barnakiel
el greenhorn
__________________
barnakiel is offline  
Old 24-07-2014, 07:01   #161
Registered User
 
psneeld's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Avalon, NJ
Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Posts: 1,831
Re: Rebel Heart Lawsuit

Like I tell my kids.....

Knowledge anyone can have and sometimes greenhorns and youth possess the vigor to more thoroughly investigate an issue.

Experience comes from doing...

Knowledge + experience = wisdom

that of curse is in many (not all) cases....often a singular event is equated with experience and nothing can be farther from the truth.
__________________
psneeld is offline  
Old 24-07-2014, 07:11   #162
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Port Welshpool Australia
Boat: sold swan new cat under construction / Canados 50s
Posts: 755
Images: 16
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
Re: Rebel Heart Lawsuit

Whilst I don't have a sat phone and don't know how they are set up ie what type of calls can be made on them from my experience when my yacht sank I originally sent out a distress call on VHF but I had hand held SH HX851 which I used to talk to Istanbul radio until battery went flat but my point in this is I had my normal every day blackberry phone which at the time had a Greek SIM card in it but out of credit but I was still able to make emergency calls on it. In which I did and they the operator redirected my calls to the Coast guard as I had drifted about 8 to 10 nm from when I sent out the distress call .

So do these sat phones have these facility's to do emergency calls or not ( if out of credit etc ) if they do I can't see how RH could sue phone company
__________________
beneteau-500 is offline  
Old 24-07-2014, 08:01   #163
Marine Service Provider
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: La Paz, Mexico
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,653
Re: Rebel Heart Lawsuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Do you imply some comments are better than others?
Oh absolutely, 100% without a doubt some comments and opinions are better than others!

In the world I live in, not everyone gets a participation trophy or award just for showing up to boost their self image and self esteim.

An electrician's comments on wiring are "better" than the comments of a guy that has never lived in a house with electricity.

The opinion of someone that has cruised offshore is "better" than an opinion of someone who has never been on a sailboat.

The real world isn't a Holiday Inn commercial...in the real world there is more to learned from an pilot about flying than from a cowboy that has never flown.

I hate to be the one to break this news, but in the real world all opinions are not equal, nor should we want them to be. Experience and knowladge of a topic has value and if it doesn't then the next time your car check engine light comes on be sure to take your car to the local tailor rather than mechanic....after all....who are you to Judge and say some people's opinions on a topic are better than others....right....
__________________
Rich Boren Goodbye Morro Bay...Hello La Paz, Mexico and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water
Technautic CoolBlue Refrigeration
SV THIRD DAY is offline  
Old 24-07-2014, 08:49   #164
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,915
Re: Rebel Heart Lawsuit

Well written S/V Third day!
__________________
robert sailor is offline  
Old 24-07-2014, 09:26   #165
Moderator Emeritus
 
Ex-Calif's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Posts: 11,514
Images: 4
Re: Rebel Heart Lawsuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
I hate to be the one to break this news, but in the real world all opinions are not equal, nor should we want them to be. Experience and knowladge of a topic has value and if it doesn't then the next time your car check engine light comes on be sure to take your car to the local tailor rather than mechanic....after all....who are you to Judge and say some people's opinions on a topic are better than others....right....
Yes.

And in the real world you go to Mainesail's shop and you tell him what you want and he charges you. And if you are gonna lay out $5,000 you might get a second opinion not because you don't trust MS, it's because $5,000 is a lot of money.

The fact that we attract all manner of people and many professionals is a big strength. We learn over time who has it going on and who doesn't. The risk is newbie guy shows up, lays down one post and 12 opinions come out. Who does he believe?

There are professionals here that I disagree with. I won't name names but the guy who graduates last in med school is still called doctor.

Also there are "professional's" who are great theorists and there are real cruiser's who are great pragmatists.

Every battery thread answer starts with - You need 800+ a/h LiFeP04, a brand new engine, solar, charger system and a generator.

I've seen the professionals do it.

The guy's profile shows he has a 22 foot boat.

Maybe one in ten "early" responses to a question around here is a clarifying question - I think you yourself posted something about that a week or so ago. Understanding the real question.

Sometimes there is more learning in the dumb question or answer than there is in the canned "professional" response.

Oh, and this is the "free" internet where everyone gets to chime in. As we used to say, Caveat Aviator but headline - the internet is full of mistakes!
__________________

__________________
Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruiser Wins Lawsuit in Florida capcook Liveaboard's Forum 8 16-01-2009 15:25



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:06.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.