Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 14:22   #16

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: Random Stops of Boaters Unconstitutional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Wait -- July 29, 2013? Isn't today the 10th?
Sorry. Was June 29.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 14:23   #17

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Long before we had car inspections we had the development of driver's licenses.

I wonder how many people would be outraged if they were required to pass a sailing test and get a photo ID, or not be allowed to sail their boat?
Um... they DO have that in Maryland and Virginia. Luckily, I am an old fart according to the law and am grandfathered in.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/boating/safety/require.asp

Don't underestimate the ability of the government to spend your money on expensive things in the most inefficient ways possible.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 14:24   #18

At least somebody is standing up! Kudos to those states....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 14:52   #19
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Sorry. Was June 29.
Oh ... I just thought you were just a bit "suh-y-kik," as Daphne Moon would say!
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 14:53   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Um... they DO have that in Maryland and Virginia. Luckily, I am an old fart according to the law and am grandfathered in.

Don't underestimate the ability of the government to spend your money on expensive things in the most inefficient ways possible.

They are grandfathering it in in Florida, too, but it's only a written test. You don't have to turn "book-larnin" into practical skills. Still, it's better than nothing.
Old 10-07-2013, 14:54   #21

Boat: Hunter 340

Yeah kudos to the states who passed it. What puzzles me is when I was boarded in Canadian waters by a combined force of Mich State Police, USCG and others.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 14:59   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallinger View Post
Yeah kudos to the states who passed it. What puzzles me is when I was boarded in Canadian waters by a combined force of Mich State Police, USCG and others.

Good heavens! Did they ever explain it to you? it sounds like some kind of combined task force. Did your boat resemble one they were actively looking for?

Well, I know how that works. Paramedics showed up at our club one day looking for someone who needed help on his boat. "Help us find you," the operator said. "what does your boat look like?"

"It's a white sailboat ..."

They found him in the other marina and got him to the hospital in time, after club members fanned out to all our docks and checked every open boat.
Old 10-07-2013, 15:40   #23

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallinger View Post
We have to watch you Canadians pretty closely. No telling when a million of you will come screaming over the border with hockey sticks held in the air threatening to shake the foundation of our democracy.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 16:09   #24

Boat: Pacific Seacraft, Dana, 24
Send a message via ICQ to EveningTide

My only interaction with water police was a few years ago at Redondo Beach, CA. I was headed for the harbor and began lowering my sails with half a mile to go. As I am busy doing this (single-hander) here comes a police boat moving fast with lights flashing. I am worried he will crash into me so I try to wave him off. As he gets close (too close) I ask what is going on. He saw my mainsail flapping and thought I must be in distress! Just trying to be helpful and apparently had never thought someone might reduce sail before entering the harbor.

The nicest interaction with Harbor Patrol people was at Isthmus Cove at Catalina Island. I arrived at 11 PM and the harbor boat that responded to my call for a mooring offered to give me a tow and help me get tied up. He said he was a single-hander too and I must be tired and he wanted to help. (He also wanted to avoid an accident caused by me.)
EveningTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 16:43   #25

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
I'm pretty cool with USCG checks... if we are going to ask them to come out and save us and risk their lives at the least opportune time, we at least owe them some assurances that we have done at least the minimum to assure that they stand a reasonable chance of success.
If you lived near New London Connecticut, you may change your opinion. The Coast Guard school is located there and they run training by setting up boats at the mouth of harbors and stopping everyone going in and out for inspections. Believe me, waiting for an hour to receive your 6th inspection in a month just to go for an afternoon daysail gets old very fast.

And to stay on topic, the local police often piggyback on this and you get ANOTHER inspection as soon as the last coastie steps off (one usually not anywhere near as polite or professional - the coasties are professionals, the police are simply thugs).

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 16:48   #26

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
We have to watch you Canadians pretty closely. No telling when a million of you will come screaming over the border with hockey sticks held in the air threatening to shake the foundation of our democracy.
Not to mention curling stones - those things can do a lot of damage!

Luckily, they aren't so smart, so they are easy to catch...

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	How to catch a Canadian.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	63899  

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 18:06   #27

If it is a state stop, then it is all about drugs and/or alcohol. They are going to have a "conversation" with you, hoping they can turn up anything that would lead them to suspect that you are chemically impaired, or transporting contraband. That one indication, and it could be something as simple as a slight stutter, or a whiff of your aftershave, gives them all they need to do a full arrest and search. They are not being friendly, they are doing the job they are paid to do -- make the state money.

A few videos showing how far they are allowed to go:

There are quite a few of them on youTube. Also, Google "Terry stop".

Be safe!
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 21:19   #28

Boat: 40' Northstar 80/20

Our corner of Lake Ontario is getting terrible for this sort of thing. Marine police aren't a daily occurrence here, they're an hourly one. The local marine police will hover by the breakwall and pull over every single boat trying to leave, then go after them for the smallest things. It's getting to the point where I think they're more of a danger than unprepared boaters are.

One of the guys at the Chandlery probably called it right, "They've got about six months to write a year's worth of tickets."
Old 11-07-2013, 14:22   #29

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryon View Post
If it is a state stop, then it is all about drugs and/or alcohol. They are going to have a "conversation" with you, hoping they can turn up anything that would lead them to suspect that you are chemically impaired, or transporting contraband. That one indication, and it could be something as simple as a slight stutter, or a whiff of your aftershave, gives them all they need to do a full arrest and search. They are not being friendly, they are doing the job they are paid to do -- make the state money.

A few videos showing how far they are allowed to go:

There are quite a few of them on youTube. Also, Google "Terry stop".

Be safe!

Wow, Ryan . . . great videos! I'm going to send those around to friends. What would the average Sheeple do?
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 14:56   #30
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Wow, Ryan . . . great videos! I'm going to send those around to friends. What would the average Sheeple do?

What is it with the "sheeple?" You've described them, but I don't know them.