Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 11:05   #1

Boat: Seidelmann 299
Question/opinion

Greeting fellow puffers my name is Graham aka "fenceguy2" aka "captainmorgan1969".

I am a canadian citizen who has been living the states on my green card for a number of years. I currently have a sailboat registered in Georgia that I plan to go cruising on.

My question is do yall think that having my boat registered in Ga, USA while travelling as a Canadian Citizen will cause any problems? Even though the boat is registered in the USA can i fly the Canadian Flag as i am a Canadian.

Will there be any issues in a country like Cuba?

any thoughts, or experiences would be appreciated.

best regards
Graham
fenceguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:59   #2

Boat: L 34
Re: Question/opinion

I doubt there will be any issues. Many boats/ships are registered in ports that are not the owner/skipper's port. So long as the ship's papers show you as the owner and the boat has some form of registration certificate,- and even that need not be too official, - I have sailed a circumnav with just a self typed paper with my name and details and the boat details (which included a sail no. as registration no.) as "Boat Papers" and had no problems. The boat should fly the flag of the country of registration.
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:16   #3

You won't have any problem with the Cuban authorities. Don't be surprised, however, if upon your return someone (Customs, the Coast Guard, Homeland Security, etc.) takes a great deal of interest in you. You may well get a lot more scrutiny than you would if you were returning from, for instance, the Bahamas.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:35   #4

Boat: Gozzard 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenceguy2
Greeting fellow puffers my name is Graham aka "fenceguy2" aka "captainmorgan1969".

I am a canadian citizen who has been living the states on my green card for a number of years. I currently have a sailboat registered in Georgia that I plan to go cruising on.

My question is do yall think that having my boat registered in Ga, USA while travelling as a Canadian Citizen will cause any problems? Even though the boat is registered in the USA can i fly the Canadian Flag as i am a Canadian.

best regards
Graham
I'd think twice as someone with a green card re-entering the USA from CUBA, you don't have the rights that a US citizen has!
Captivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 17:31   #5

Boat: Seidelmann 299

thanks for the responses, duly noted. but Cuba will be first on my itinerary not my last. And as far as rights of a Green Card vs US Citizen,only difference "in writing" is that I can not vote ,Can not be employed by the federal government, I can not sit on a jury , and If I were to marry a non US Citizen she would be classified as second priority for a visa/green card. First priority is to adult sons and daughters of US Citizens. Other than that I have all the same rights as a US Citizen except I can not leave the country for more than 6 months at a time if I wish to renew my green card. I would have to re-apply.
fenceguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 18:27   #6
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenceguy2 View Post

best regards
Graham

If your boat is registered in the USA you should fly the American flag. No reason you can't fly the Canadian flag under it, and in fact there's no LAW for private craft on this that I'm aware of. *Commercial* craft have to fly the country of registration.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 18:34   #7

Boat: Traditional 30

I believe that proper Pratique requires the flag of registration and the courtesy flag of the host nation only - with the host flag higher of course. . Any other flag my breach protocol. This probably wont matter in "free-er" countries- after you have entered officially. But the more militant the authorities the more chance of it just causing you grief INMO. If the idea is to identify yourselves as Canadians to others, I big red leaf on the hull may suffice.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote