Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2014, 16:25   #16
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Re: Question for American expats re: USCG documentation

Thanks for that information. And that's an excellent point about preserving the USCG doc. I'm not sure if it ever really goes away, does it? There is an engraved plank fiberglassed into my bilge under a deck cover with that number very permanently attached to the boat. So it's a unique number. And this is the only boat documented with the USCG with this boat name. So there's something worth preserving. I don't know if it could be reinstated. Of course USCG documentation is only for US Citizens.

I'm not trying to do anything illegal or dodgy. Whatever we do will be totally legit. I find myself in a fairly rare set of circumstances suddenly, and am looking for ways to minimize governments further intrusion into my life. I've earned these Golden Years, dagnabbit, and if I never spoke to another US Government employee in my life it would be perfectly fine with me. If I start smuggling dope or illegal immigrants, then by golly they should arrest me. Otherwise, I really don't want them in my life. I don't have nearly the respect for the Department of Homeland Security that I did for the good old US Coast Guard, back in the day.
Old 27-03-2014, 06:23   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Re USCG boarding you for a saftey inspection in foreign waters. I've never had it happen to me nor heard of it happening to others. Anyone else? I have been boarded by USCG, and other NON-USA entities, for documemtation check/drug interdiction/border control/security activities in NON-USA waters. Never had any (USA or non) authorities be anything other than professional and courteous in the process.

I've even had USA military/DEA show up on my property in Guatemala as part of a joint drug interdiction task force....they were just scouting the area and were cordial (but heavily armed)...Uncle Sam has a long reach...registration of your vessel won't matter. I'm currently anchored in Bocas del Toro and there is a large USCG vessel anchored nearby...if they come to visit I'm not going to waste my time arguing paperwork with them.

Re USA Doco. Boats can be delisted and reinstated. Not sure how long a delisted boat stays in their database, but I suspect a long time.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 06:46   #18

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

We have been boarded for a safety inspection by the USCG in foreign waters. I know others who have also.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 06:54   #19
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Canibul, if you have no plans to sail in US waters and are committed to living in the Turks and Caicos, then it strikes me that with the new reduced import duties, it would make perfect sense to import the boat. Not only would it save the hassle of repeated cruising permits, but it would allow you the freedom to keep the boat in the water there year round. In addition, if you have an interest in cruising Cuba (which your post suggests) then you really have no choice if you want to avoid the potential of having your boat seized if boarded by the Coast Guard after leaving Cuban waters (whether true or not, I have heard that for American vessels even carrying charts of Cuban waters has been considered sufficient evidence for impoundment).

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 15:32   #20

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Time to renew registration so I've been on the USCG NVDC site. Interesting to read their mission statement:

"The National Vessel Documentation Center...provides a register of vessels available in time of war or emergency to defend and protect the United States of America."

Same applies to those of us with a USCG liscence. In theory we and our boats could get pressed into service too. Not likely, but certainly a bigger inconvenience than a saftey inspection. ;-)
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 17:00   #21

Mexico requires an importation license. $50 for 10 years as of today (April 2014). There are a plethora of articles out there about the authorities seizing boats on the Pacific coast for want of the license.
tampahokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 18:10   #22

Boat: Finnsailor Motorsailor 35

There is nothing but constant aggravations be your boat state or USCG documented. If your a live-a-boat your boat is your legal domicile, regardless of where your situated. We are told by the various states there their reason for boat titles and boat registrations are (1) To make selling or trading, transferring your boat easier. (2.) To discourage theft. (3.) to help law enforcement. Oh really? It is nothing but an aggravation every time you deal with them. No police ever returned my stolen motor, it is for law enforcement so they can harass you and know if your local citizen or they might not be able to extort you for monies. Please read my post on Boston.
Your boat can be boarded by any authorities; under the new laws, that they believe a terrorist is hiding under your boat. What they are now attempting is to force even USCG documented vessels to pay them excise tax. Just how can you levy tax to a non-citizen who has no rights to vote and whom you have no legal jurisdiction over? The keyword is "jurisdiction" with any federal authorities; including military having it most anywhere you can imagine. I do have an inquiry in the Massachusetts Governor's office to inquire "what law in M.G.L." authorizes such a tax? Here on a non-citizen of the state. (I hope get the answer soon) all this for asking for a mooring permit for a stay of 4 to 6 weeks. I hope the members here will pass this around. If someone has any in depth info please feel free to e-mail me quadcomputers@yahoo.com ... I am a year a around live-a-boat my legal domicile is my boat. I have no state registration or legal residency domicile in any state in the U.S.
Robert Beal
Vessel "Cornucopia"
quadcomputers@yahoo.com
Cornucopia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, men