Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-07-2016, 16:53   #16

Boat: Bristol 29
Re: Question for a Work of Fiction: Port Authorities—NOLA and Grand Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBChicoine View Post
My question is: Rather than motoring or sailing up the twisty-windy, busy Mississippi to the port authority in NOLA, could the boat gain clearance in Gulfport and then simply sail up the Rigolets to Pontrchartrain, reprovison, pick up its passengers, and report back to the PA in Gulfport where said passengers would have their passports stamped?
Not sure where your boat is documented or whether it matters, but for a US boat, no need to check out at all, so no need to report back to PA in Gulfport.

Old 08-07-2016, 16:54   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Because of my past work, I get annoyed when stories that involve nuclear terrorism are technically ridiculous. These sorts of things spoil the story for me, and now that I'm a long term cruiser, the same sort of reaction boils up when sea going stories fail the reality test.

Cheers,

Jim
Similar for me, I generally avoid fictional works, books or movies, that are based on technology or sailing.

Old 08-07-2016, 16:59   #18

Boat: Bock, 14'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun and Moon View Post
Not sure where your boat is documented or whether it matters, but for a US boat, no need to check out at all, so no need to report back to PA in Gulfport.
The boat is documented in Grand Cayman. And upon returning to the island, it will have 2 US citizens. I'm assuming documentation is required.
Old 08-07-2016, 16:59   #19

Clearing at Georgetown Grand Cayman is really simple. Check in on VHF. I think they are available at 8 AM. If their dock is not open they will assign a colored mooring ball a couple of hundred years offshore and call on VHF when you can come in. The lady came to the dock but did not board. She wanted a rough count of the number bottles and types of alcohol on board. We had several guns and lots of ammo on board. Not a problem, locked them up in gun cases and totted them to there office a few yards away. Cleared in and sailed to the marina about an hour away. When ready to leave after a couple of weeks gave them a call two hours prior and the delivered the owner's guns to the marine and cleared us out.
Old 08-07-2016, 17:05   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Clearing at Georgetown Grand Cayman is really simple. Check in on VHF. I think they are available at 8 AM. If their dock is not open they will assign a colored mooring ball a couple of hundred years offshore and call on VHF when you can come in. The lady came to the dock but did not board. She wanted a rough count of the number bottles and types of alcohol on board. We had several guns and lots of ammo on board. Not a problem, locked them up in gun cases and totted them to there office a few yards away. Cleared in and sailed to the marina about an hour away. When ready to leave after a couple of weeks gave them a call two hours prior and the delivered the owner's guns to the marine and cleared us out.
Thanks for the info! Hopefully it was roughly the same back in the 80s.
Old 08-07-2016, 19:00   #21

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Maybe track down some officials to talk with...what was it like back in the good old days.
Old 09-07-2016, 19:28   #22

Boat: J/36

Sorry to throw a possible wrench, but Stumble's "coming in from offshore there's no need to check in anywhere" may work for US vessels, but a Cayman-registered boat may be totally different. We've come in from offshore and called a local customs office for clearance upon arrival back in the '70's. More recently I've come in and radioed to obtain clearance - but these were on US flagged vessels. Also, does the Cuban-American skipper hold an American passport, or a Cuban one? I would call someone at the Customs office in Gulfport who was friendly and also there in 1984 to check things more officially if you want to be sure.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:02   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Sorry to throw a possible wrench, but Stumble's "coming in from offshore there's no need to check in anywhere" may work for US vessels, but a Cayman-registered boat may be totally different. We've come in from offshore and called a local customs office for clearance upon arrival back in the '70's. More recently I've come in and radioed to obtain clearance - but these were on US flagged vessels. Also, does the Cuban-American skipper hold an American passport, or a Cuban one? I would call someone at the Customs office in Gulfport who was friendly and also there in 1984 to check things more officially if you want to be sure.
The skipper holds an American passport but resides in Grand Cayman where the boat is registered. I'm inclined to agree with Wallaby, that I'm getting too sidetracked with particulars that have no bearing on the overall plot. Since there seems to be little recollection of how things worked back then, and an apparent gap between regulations and how they were actually carried out, I'm probably better off simply mentioning it in passing and not sweating it. And yes, I loathe to call any bureaucratic office hoping to find a real-life answer, let alone a fictional one! Ha! Although it might be an interesting exercise...
Old 11-07-2016, 06:18   #24

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 350

Back in the 80's I used the Miss River Gulf Outlet (MRGO).
Lake Pontchartrain - Industrial Canal to ICW and MRGO

MRGO is now closed off after Katrina

Marc

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: