Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2018, 07:38   #91

Boat: Hunter, 420 Passage
Re: Question about COLREGS rule 9

Sounds like a shot across the bow would have been appropriate...
Carver Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:39   #92

You were correct because you were constrained by draft and the other boat have been the giveaway vessel.
rlevin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:33   #93

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Let's dispel a few things - you weren't impeded; you said there was plenty of room for you both to manoeuvre.
You weren't (imo) the 'stand on' vessel; nor were you the 'give way' vessel. The only applicable rule that could impose those labels is rule 18, but we all know that rule is prefaced with
Quote:
Except where Rules 9, 10 and 13 otherwise require
The very first part of rule 9 states:
Quote:
(a) A vessel proceeding along the course of a narrow channel or fairway shall keep as near to the outer limit of the channel or fairway which lies on her starboard side as is safe and practicable
Note it says "vessel" so applies to sail and power alike. The other vessel failed in the first to stay starboard.
At this point, five blasts (34d) and then taking action as necessary to avoid collision (rule 2).
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:26   #94

Boat: 1984 Merit 25

If an alligator jumps up on your cockpit, I humbly suggest that you do not hold your ground, unless you have sufficient firepower to mitigate the circumstance.

I've come bow-to-bow with a few sailors from the pier where my slip is, that I KNOW have many years' more sailing experience than I. Regardless, to preserve life, limb, and boat, I did whatever I could to "escape"... moves that I was not "guideline"d to make. Someone has to be considerate in these situations. "If not me, then who? If not now, then when?"

In my "consideration", I have spotted these sailors at the pier, offered them an adult beverage (which they had no hesitation to accept, and consume), and then I would ask for some clarification of the COLREGS.

Nothing but blank stares, or incorrect responses.

You can get wrong every ASA101 test question regarding Chapter 6, and still become certified, but overcoming one's selfishness is not covered by ANY ASA Course.

I'm just sayin',
Aaarrgh!
Aaarrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:35   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

You just have to keep in mind that most yachties are ignorant of the COLREGS and go about your day....like water shedding off ducks back.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:35   #96

Thumbs up Re: Question about COLREGS rule 9

Basic, U were beyond correct, you were dealing with A-H who heard somebody say the vessel under sailhas right of way. They never went any further with there education.
Now with that & probably about $3. U can get a beer at some reasonable dive & laf the whole situation off.
Bill:
Bill bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:37   #97

Boat: Hunter 41

I always operate under the impression that I am the only one that knows the rules and try to communicate in what ever way possible to find out if I'm right or pleasantly surprised.
uncledom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:36   #98

Boat: Leopard 39

Well, the good thing is, the incident caused you to review the COLREGS. When something like this scares the hell out of us, we really want to learn from it; but sometimes the lesson boils down to "That guy was a real jerk."
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:54   #99

ColRegs also state that it is the responsibility of both parties to avoid a collision! That’s unequivocal.

I used to teach cruiser sailing in the UK and Europe, and certainly in latter years I always stressed that the “sail gives way to power” thing must be bourne in mind, but never insisted on. For example, commercial people going about their daily tasks on the water should be granted full respect by sailors who may be just out having fun. This is particularly important in my often crowded home waters of The Solent, southern England.

Whilst I hold a commercial licence for both power and sail, my sailboat experience is by far the most extensive. The watchword is, and always should be “Courtesy”. My heart is warmed to see the vast majority of posters here agree! (There will always be rude yobs in any sport. We have to try and rise above, and if possible, gently educate the rude and naive!)
guitarrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 14:11   #100

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

It sounds as though the sailing boat went out of its way to maintain a collision course with you, when they could have eased their helm until you had passed them safely by.

That was naughty of them. It was deliberate endangering of both their vessel and yours.

Common sense is the rule that must prevail--and altering course to allow another vessel to pass safely is just common courtesy.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 18:29   #101

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39

A wise Mariner stands by on VHF Ch.16 even if there is a lot of buzz. Then you can the other person to make passing arrangements. Had there been a collision that is one of the questions that would have come up. It is I believe the law and if you tried to call the other vessel on 16 you would be on recording as having done that.Quite possibly a big help to your side of the case.
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 23:11   #102

Boat: Seawind 1000 XL

Not quite Rule 9, but, we have two sailing clubs that use mostly the same lateral marks, at which we all race to/from, this is just social afternoon sailing, no huge prizes on offer, but, in one fleet ( not the fleet I sail with) is an extremely arrogant elderly chap, of Germanic origin, who delights in calling "Starboard Tack", prior to having tacked from Port, and expects all, to move aside, for his highness!

Well,,, **** him,, couple weeks back, I had rounded the mark, and was on course to next mark, just tootling along,when Germanic Boy, aims straight for my stern, yells out "Starboard, get off my course line, you are not in our race"

I flipped a bird, turned my back, and stood firm.
Yes, he had to deviate, after all, he was the faster, and overtaking boat.

I had visions of 3" cannons broadside, to his waterline,,,,
Old 07-08-2018, 06:21   #103

An interesting anecdote, but I fail to see how it is relevant to the OP's question, ana therefore to thread ??

TP
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:30   #104

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
An interesting anecdote, but I fail to see how it is relevant to the OP's question, ana therefore to thread ??

TP
3" canons, hence the relevance
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:32   #105

This is a tough one experienced many times in the Norfolk broads (uk). The sailing boat is tacking up the river (Chanel or space) and the motor boat (or sailboat under engine comes the other way), what to do? The sailboat is basically doing what it can do, and as long as the motor boat isn’t flying any day shapes might reasonably expect it to keep clear, and as another sailboat skipper why wouldn’t you as long as you could?
markstansfield is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rule