Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-06-2016, 16:09   #16

Re: Purchased boat, now notice Documented number

Boat is a 1984 ? Recall too that; if your boat is over thirty years old and has the same type of engine , you are able to register the boat in Florida as an 'antique' at a greatly reduced fee. Check out antique vessel registration in Florida. The sales tax will remain the same.

Old 05-06-2016, 18:35   #17

We documented our boat ourselves but Im sure you'll need a Bill of sale from the owner of record in USCG. But you can call them and I found them helpful . We sail from MA to NJ and are never in one state for 6mo. Per yr. So we chose to register in RI, a no sales tax state. Most states require you to register if you keep your boat there 6mo, but if you're never in a state 6mo. It kinda leaves your hailing port open to your choosing.

Old 05-06-2016, 19:13   #18

Boat: Tartan 3000

The issue in my mind now is to avoid paying tax in Florida and New York. I was planning to register in NY however being a Florida resident I may be forced to pay Florida tax also. Sounds crazy but I did pay a second tax on my 2000 Chevrolet when I changed registration from NY to Florida.

Anyone been through this??
Old 05-06-2016, 19:39   #19

Larry;
Not sure why you were forced to pay a Florida Sales Tax on your vehicle if it was paid to another state. I did not have to when I registered mine. Unless you had it less than six months. You're say you're a resident of Florida so pay Florida sales tax. Many state statutes say that you can not be in their state for more than 90 continuous days. If your in New York, just sail over to Connecticut and purchase some fuel or rent a slip for the night and save the receipt to show that you have left the state. You should not have a problem.
But if you do register in FL the boat remember the antique thing......
Old 05-06-2016, 19:51   #20

Thanks CatboatWilly, great info.

Will be in Florida next week and will register there. Worst case is I pay some fee in NY but not the full tax. We shall see.
Old 06-06-2016, 17:56   #21

https://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/87243.pdf
Just remember, you do have the original type of power plant and you should be fine......
Old 07-06-2016, 20:52   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatboatWilly View Post
https://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/87243.pdf
Just remember, you do have the original type of power plant and you should be fine......
Thanks CW. Excellent find.

I will be in Delray Next week and will submit this form.

Thanks
Old 08-06-2016, 09:06   #23

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Florida View Post
Purchased a 30 ft sailboat, which I am about to register in New York. Just noticed a USCG documentation number inside. I am the 3rd owner. Second owner knows nothing about it.

Can this USCG documentation be brought back to life?

Boat 1984

First owner 1984 to approximately 2002

Second owner 2002 - 2016

Thoughts?
As I said, I don't think you should have a problem. You could inquire about a documenting service if you do. Sometimes it helps to know the system and who to talk to and had sent a bottle of good Scotch to. I have no idea what they base their fees on, difficulty or all they can get.
Old 18-06-2016, 03:48   #24
vjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Florida View Post
Thanks CW. Excellent find.

I will be in Delray Next week and will submit this form.

Thanks
If you are doing USCG documentation you cannot also document the boat as antique. It's either one of the other. I just did all the USCG stuff (probably two months away from that being finished) and registered in Florida. I had the antique form all ready and that was the only part of the package that was refused. I discussed with higher ups and they agreed it is USCG or antique documentation, not both.
Old 18-06-2016, 04:19   #25

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjm View Post
If you are doing USCG documentation you cannot also document the boat as antique. It's either one of the other. I just did all the USCG stuff (probably two months away from that being finished) and registered in Florida. I had the antique form all ready and that was the only part of the package that was refused. I discussed with higher ups and they agreed it is USCG or antique documentation, not both.
You got screwed. Try again. Ask them to show you the regulation. Completely separate issues. I have both USCG doc and get FL antique registration. You have to ask for it, DMV will not give it to you automatically.
Old 18-06-2016, 12:23   #26
vjm

Thanks John! I will go back in and get it straightened out, after I run off the appropriate statutes to bring along. I was dubious but all four layers of bosses were positive that it was an either/or thing.

The DMV/tax collector is annoying.
Old 18-06-2016, 14:13   #27
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Curious if the boat was ever UN-Documented? That would have to have happened to get a title, which you may get if you register in Florida. Curious that NY only issues titles for boat 1987 and newer. Enough info here to be confusing - https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/register-boat

Hopefully, you have real "proof of ownership" from the seller. https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/boats.pdf

No problem in the Bahamas with state title. Not sure about state registration.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 16:35   #28
vjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjm View Post
Thanks John! I will go back in and get it straightened out, after I run off the appropriate statutes to bring along. I was dubious but all four layers of bosses were positive that it was an either/or thing.

The DMV/tax collector is annoying.
After doing some research, I think I am sticking with normal Florida registration. Here's why:

Section 328.72, Florida statues covers vessel registration. Subsection 2 covers Antique vessel registration, and it requires that all vessels that are registered as antiques display their registration numbers on the bow. The law is phrased as "shall" not "may" so it is not up to the owner to decide.

USCG documentation requires that only the boat only be identified by the USCG number. You are not allowed to have state registration numbers on the bow.

Since part of my reason for doing USCG is to keep the numbers off the bow, and since it seems that I would be required to have them with antique registration, I will stick with normal registration.

John, do you gave numbers on your bow and the USCG number inside? Any problems with whatever display you have? Any thought on this conflict?

Tags
men, purchase

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: