Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2013, 06:01   #121
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Protocol When Cruising With Guns

Quote:
... even if it were practical for cruisers to carry a long gun the odds of your average cruiser on a moving boat being able to accurately engage a pirate on a speeding skiff are nil ...
An interesting opinion on the Realities of Precision Marksmanship from a Ship ➥ Realities of Precision Marksmanship from a Ship… | Global Security, Privacy, & Risk Management

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 06:23   #122
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Well I guess we can just wrap it up here as its been answered and beat to death.
Guns on boats, Nope
Guns on land, Yup.
I wanted to say more but it would just seem trollish.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 11:12   #123

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Scrap cars everywhere need to be eradicated with extreme prejudice. Same goes for abondoned appliances, melons, beer kegs, water jugs, and a whole host of other potentially hostile items.
OK, but leave the buckets alone!
Old 22-01-2013, 16:24   #124
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising View Post
Wow. this thread deteriorated quickly. Perhaps we could steer it back to the orrigional topic, which I believe is a valid one given the existing piracy threat.
IIRC OP wanted to know what the procedures were for entering each country - probably CF not the best place for that info! I beleive that Noonsite has decent info to at least give a ballpark (although the starting position of yer just can't simply turn up somewhere tooled up like Rambo would be a reasonable assumption) - but I would also want to personally check direct with each country on my travels, before arriving! (on what is allowed - and how to go about it). Fairly simple, if a tad time consuming. Of course the easiest approach is to rely on what someone on the internet beleived was (or should be?!) the legal position - but they unlikely to be visiting yer in jail . Each chooses own approach .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 16:40   #125

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising View Post
I agree with an earlier statement that handguns are a tool only for killing people (12 years as a Marine grunt taught me that) and it seems an unnecessary hassell to try and take them cruising. However, with the persistent growth of piracy it seems as though SOME for of protection is sensible, and that a simple shot gun provides a reasonable solution. I also know that certain models are manufactured of corrosion resistant materials specifically for use in a marine environment. I would be content to hand over my weapon to the authorities while in NZ or OZ, but there a hell of a lot of unstable places that an American has to pass through to get there. So, does a simple pump-action shotgun sound reasonable? I would appreciate the input.
It has been reported that the most feared sound to a pirate is the action of a pump shot gun. You can't miss the guy climbing over yur transom with his AK shouldered on his back. I'd like to pack but I don't want to rot in a 3rd world prison either. Tough decision.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 17:01   #126

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
It has been reported that the most feared sound to a pirate is the action of a pump shot gun. You can't miss the guy climbing over yur transom with his AK shouldered on his back. I'd like to pack but I don't want to rot in a 3rd world prison either. Tough decision.
I know where this is going but I will say it anyway. Do you really think anyone knows "the most feared sound to a pirate"? Was there a survey? And as for the guy climbing the transom, do you think he would be alone or would he maybe have a couple friends in their boat with guns trained on you. Such bravado, but I know its a guns and pirates thread now.
Old 22-01-2013, 17:18   #127

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I know where this is going but I will say it anyway. Do you really think anyone knows "the most feared sound to a pirate"? Was there a survey? And as for the guy climbing the transom, do you think he would be alone or would he maybe have a couple friends in their boat with guns trained on you. Such bravado, but I know its a guns and pirates thread now.
Yes. Pirates captured have been interviewed and brave or stupid journalists have gone to Somalia. I know as a hunter and gun owner that my best probablility is 00Buck at 50 yards or less. My probability with a rifle or handgun against small targets on a moving boat is slim to none.

I find this accounting quite telling - if you were to carry. Personally, I would not go anywhere near where they were. As far as the OP - protocol is to research on Noonsite. Most places you would like most to have one you will probably find it will not be allowed in any way. Standard 2nd ammendment arguement. When guns are prohibited, only criminals will have them. SO - Choose your cruising grounds carefully and/or leave the gun home.

Notice to middle eastern pirates: Do not screw around with Yankee sailors!
Old 01-11-2013, 07:27   #128

My fear is myself and/or my wife are put in a life or death situation and we have to get ourselves out. I've lived in bad parts of town, and cops are only there to take notes after it's over.

We met this cruising couple in Belize - Stefan was killed by a cannibal and Heike was raped and tortured. Had they had a firearm, perhaps things would be different today.

I'm searching for the best concealed weapon to carry on board a ship, and the best way to retain it. Whether it's hiding it or declaring it.
qtmspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 16:27   #129

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtmspin View Post
My fear is myself and/or my wife are put in a life or death situation and we have to get ourselves out. I've lived in bad parts of town, and cops are only there to take notes after it's over.

We met this cruising couple in Belize - Stefan was killed by a cannibal and Heike was raped and tortured. Had they had a firearm, perhaps things would be different today.

I'm searching for the best concealed weapon to carry on board a ship, and the best way to retain it. Whether it's hiding it or declaring it.
Really foolish and based on fear. There has to be hundreds of post like this scattered through this site. My suggestion is to stay out of places you deem unsafe. However, another option is getting out of the game altogether.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:43   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtmspin View Post
Whether it's hiding it or declaring it.
Seriously? You think you can hide it anywhere that the authorities haven't already seen before?

Choosing not to declare a gun is just stupid. Yes, lots of people do it and don't get caught. But if you DO get caught the penalties are generally EXTREME! Do you really want to spend years in a rat-infested, third-world prison, wishing you hadn't been so stupid?
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:21   #131
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinslave View Post
So having skimmed over the posted comments on this topic I didn't see one (might have missed it) on the only concern I have on the subject which is cruising the western canadian cost and the concerns over bears on shore at remote anchorages. I've purchesed a boat in the area and will begin this spring. I know that a shore line is quit often used and am thinking of those situations. Any thoughts on this out there?
While I have no clue about being on a boat in Canada with a gun, I have flown all over the North West Territories with one. First forget a handgun, not what you would want for Bears anyway. Prior to going into Canada I downloaded the appropriate paperwork and upon clearing customs they looked at the paperwork and the gun (a Mossburg 12ga with folding stock), charged my credit card a little fee and that was it. I got the strong impression that if your flying the NWT with your family, they considered a gun capable of defending against bears almost a necessity and you would be a fool not to have one. But forget the pistol, I think they see it only as a gun used to commit crimes
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 14:26   #132

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

a64pilot has it right. Hand guns in Canada are considered designed for murdering someone... long rifles and shotguns, not so much. It is wise to be armed in the Canadian bush with something substantial enough to deter aggressive wildlife.
A US citizen standing in line in front of me passing through the summer customs and immigration office on South Thormanby(sp?) Island in the Gulf Islands was asked if he had any firearms on board. He responded that he did and described his shotgun, rifle and .45 semi auto handgun. The customs officer politely told him 'no worries' with the long guns but handgun possession was illegal in Canada. The cruiser said he needed it for protection because he was going to Alaska. He was advised to return to Friday Harbor in the US San Juan Islands and mail it to himself c/o General Delivery at his first port of call in Alaska with 'hold for pick-up' written on the package. The cruiser said he was concerned about the security of mailing it to himself but the customs guy said they have about 6 folks a week sent back to do the same thing and the PO in Friday Harbor is used to the drill. I've always thought it a very sensible way to handle the situation because the customs guy would be well within his rights to sieze the hand gun and perhaps the boat as it was in Canadian waters. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 17:04   #133

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you fly a bush plane in much of Canada you are required to carry a gun capable of dropping a griz.
Old 05-11-2013, 17:30   #134
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
If you fly a bush plane in much of Canada you are required to carry a gun capable of dropping a griz.
Just out of curiosity, do you have a cite for this claim?
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 17:44   #135

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
Just out of curiosity, do you have a cite for this claim?
I have two office mates who are private pilots. The requirement is dependant on where you will be. NWT in a float plane to nowhere - you'd better be packing.

Tags
Guns