Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2007, 15:17   #1

Boat: Hardin Seawolf 41
pirate Protocol When Cruising With Guns

This is an inquiry as to the protocol in cruising with guns (Hand, Shot, and Other).
This is not a survey as to what you think about it! That is what the opinion polls are for, and they are full of 'em... (opinions and other things associated (*) ).
If you would also limit your responses to YOUR OWN ACTUAL EXPERIENCES and not horror/humor stories that you have heard from others, or about others.
Warmest regards,
Swami
swami maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2007, 15:38   #2

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
When we first started out cruising ('84) I carried a .45.

We were required to turn it in, in every port and we could pick it up upon departure. I don't think that things have changed much. In just about every country, you will be put in jail if they find a weapon on-board.

The big problem is, that forced us to leave the country that we were visiting from the same port that we entered. That got to be a hassle and I rendered the weapon to Davy Jones after the 1st year.

The only reason that we wanted the gun was so that one of us could bath while becalmed while the other stood on deck with the gun to ward off sharks......that ended up being kind of silly. We did that on several occasions and never saw a shark.

I will tell you one story though. In Western Samoa, I went to shore in the dinghy to pick-up the gun. They gave me my gun and I was returning to the boat. As I was walking down the beach (gun in hand) I found about 4 teenage kids packing my outboard motor with sand......boy....that was tempting...

I doubt that would happen much these days. I would emagine that even Western Samoa would bring the weapon to the boat. It was kinda wierd, the way that they handled that, even for 23 years ago.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2007, 15:41   #3

Is it possible to retrieve the gun when leaving that port and recheck into the next further down, so as to avoid the hassle you mentioned?
Old 20-12-2007, 16:04   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Well don'ty come to Australia with guns because there are very very very strict laws about guns here. You will have to give them up for your entire duration of your stay here. I

Firearms and other weapons

All firearms/weapons on your craft must be reported to Customs.
Certain firearms/weapons may be detained in safe storage for transhipment to your intended port of departure (at Customs expense).
In cases where a firearm/weapon has been detained the Master will be required to contact Customs at least one week prior to departure so that the weapon can be returned.

From information for yachts travelling to australia - arrival

I rang Customs and they dont know what type of guns would be detained but said info can be requested from info@customs.gov.au However as I am a font of information, knowledge and surprising good looks, I can tell you that and handgun will be removed, any rifle that is more than a totally bolt action with less than 10 round mags are gone, so no semi-auto rifles at all, no semi auto shotguns or pump-action shotguns.

Ahhhh, I've just found what the catagories are: See this Police Website. The laws are nationals:
SAPOL :: Categories, access and security of firearms
The possession of the following firearms is prohibited, except in limited circumstances:
  • Self-loading centre fire rifles - Class D
  • Self-loading rim fire rifles, 10 round capacity or less - Class C
  • Self-loading rim fire rifles, more than 10 round capacity - Class D
  • Self-loading shotguns, 5 round capacity or less - Class C
  • Self-loading shotguns, more than 5 round capacity - Class D
  • Pump action shotguns, 5 round capacity or less - Class C
  • Pump action shotguns, more than 5 round capacity - Class D
So, make no mistake. Australia does like guns! Which is fine by me
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2007, 16:12   #5

well thats good to know

thats good to know that they will transport your arms to you at your departure port. so OZ is ok then. thanks for the info.
Old 20-12-2007, 16:17   #6

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by swami maximus View Post
Is it possible to retrieve the gun when leaving that port and recheck into the next further down, so as to avoid the hassle you mentioned?
That depends on the country and it is always subject to change.

When we visited NZ the 1st time ('84), we entered at Opua. Customs took my weapon to Wangerai(sp?) where we had to return to, to retrieve it. We then HAD to leave from Wangerai (could not leave from any other port with the gun). I think that may have changed now and that is just one of the things that you must get used to while cruising.

It is not uncommon for laws to change while you are in transit from one country to another. Whatever you learn today, may not apply in 6 months, when you are relying on that info. That applies to everything....not just guns.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2007, 16:52   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Australia does like guns!

Oops! That was meant to read:

Australia does NOT like guns!

LOL I'm a goose

But at least you dont have to go back to the original port of entry
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2007, 19:16   #8

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Australia does NOT like guns!
You could always stick them somewhere safe,

May feel uncomfortable though (-;

Dave
Old 20-12-2007, 19:47   #9

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
I never had any problems because we have a sealable bonded locker on our boat. As it's a steel hull and a 1/4" plate steel locker welded to the hull, they always let us seal {their seal of course} and keep it on board. But that was years ago and things are always changing as posted above. Was always good for keeping excessive amounts of alcohol in it also. Never did figure out what that was, but customs in some places always have their rules....
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 00:07   #10

I used to take mine into Mexico without delcaring it. It was illegal, stupid, and dangerous. If they had found it I'd still be sitting in prison for weapons smuggling. My other experience is that gun metal rusts like hell on a boat.

One type of person always has a gun nearby: a criminal. When law enforcement finds someone hiding a weapon they automatically jump to what ever else you are hiding, and what laws you are breaking that you need to carry a gun.

So I could say that my "experience" was a positive one, but I suppose it was about as smart as winning a couple of rounds of russian roulette. Not very smart.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 00:38   #11

Further To MarkJ ..WE.. here in Oz do not like hand guns. So much as show it and you will have the cops on your toes in a split second. Most Australians will take exception. It is the Australian way that unless you are part of a legitamate security organisation (cops) or a crocodile hunter ! then why do you want to have it here ? The only reason to have a hand gun is to use it on humans., this we find distasteful. We are a strange lot but we just dont get the "good people gota have bigger weapons than bad people" kind of line. The practicle result is that we have a confidence that we dont have to walk down the streets with secret body armour ! I guess you know where my spots are on this issue. Believe me our laws do reflect this attitude. Other countries are similar. The whole gun thing really is a USA attitude.
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 01:19   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The thread “Firearms Regulations by Country” offers the basics, and some links to authoritative sources for more information.
Goto:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ntry-1641.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 02:53   #13

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
The whole gun thing really is a USA attitude.
And that, my friends, say's it all.

Dave
Old 21-12-2007, 13:51   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
No body armour...

My understanding is that personal body armour is illegal in Oz.

Probably something to do with establishment over-reaction to Ned Kelly.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 14:30   #15
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
My experiences are the same as Santana.
If you want to carry firearms then prepare a legal, bondable, gun safe that Customs can seal together with a detailed inventory. Once in a while because of political correctness, the locals have insisted on removing them, sometimes only the firing pins. In remote places where they don’t have a secure lock up, they are often happy to let you keep them in the sealed locker and once prior to visiting Chuk Lagoon, their Attorney General even quietly recommended that we keep them handy.
Not interested in a political discussion about the right to bear arms, but accepting that it is now more of a hassle to carry firearms, I think every person has to ask themselves that key question: In the face of a clear and murderous attack on your family, will you go meekly or will you fight with all the training and tools that you can acquire?”…… That is a personal choice
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Guns