Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 10:48   #136
cruiser

Re: Protocol When Cruising With Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I have two office mates who are private pilots. The requirement is dependant on where you will be. NWT in a float plane to nowhere - you'd better be packing.
So, no, then?
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 16:24   #137
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
Just out of curiosity, do you have a cite for this claim?
There are many requirements, 406 ELT (basically same thing as an EPIRB) X number of calories of food for each person for x number of days, mosquito netting to cover your head and a few others. I don't think they can make you carry a gun, some people shouldn't, but those people probably shouldn't be in the NWT either.
My thought was what was I supposed to do if I saw a bear dragging one of my kids off with the obvious intent of eating them if I didn't have a gun, and nothing has the close range "stopping power" of a 12Ga shotgun, except maybe a 10Ga., plus it had to be simple and compact.
You just can't imagine the ferocity and power of a bear until you see one. When you do, you understand how a rabbit feels when he sees a wolf.
I had enough food, water shelter, water purification tablets, very good first aid kit, complete with stitches etc. for a week. I went in July, there are two seasons, July and Winter
I would imagine it's very similar to being 1000 miles from anywhere in a sailing yacht, you have to figure things out on your own I imagine, SeaTow or the Coasties ain't going to come get you. I haven't done that yet so I can't speak from experience.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 16:34   #138
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
There are many requirements, 406 ELT (basically same thing as an EPIRB) X number of calories of food for each person for x number of days, mosquito netting to cover your head and a few others. I don't think they can make you carry a gun, some people shouldn't, but those people probably shouldn't be in the NWT either.
My thought was what was I supposed to do if I saw a bear dragging one of my kids off with the obvious intent of eating them if I didn't have a gun, and nothing has the close range "stopping power" of a 12Ga shotgun, except maybe a 10Ga., plus it had to be simple and compact.
You just can't imagine the ferocity and power of a bear until you see one. When you do, you understand how a rabbit feels when he sees a wolf.
I had enough food, water shelter, water purification tablets, very good first aid kit, complete with stitches etc. for a week. I went in July, there are two seasons, July and Winter
I would imagine it's very similar to being 1000 miles from anywhere in a sailing yacht, you have to figure things out on your own I imagine, SeaTow or the Coasties ain't going to come get you. I haven't done that yet so I can't speak from experience.

Get one of these, much better than a shotgun for bear protection. It's designed specifically for that purpose. Fits in your back pocket, stainless finish, stops a bear dead no problem. I doubt a deer slug from a 12 gauge even hits as hard as .454 Casull. No good for Canada though, that's why it's the "Alaskan". I'd much rather have this than a pump gauge. Easier handling, more stopping power, revolvers don't jam, less maintenance, less weight, much faster draw, can still use it even if the bear is on you already, etc. etc.

The .454 model also fires .45 Long Colt (for plinking!). The pic is .45 LC next to a Casull round.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	69982  

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 16:41   #139
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

like you said, don't get caught with that in Canada
Old 06-11-2013, 16:46   #140

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Unless you have lived/worked in the far north, many of the folks posting here have no idea how dangerous life in the bush can be. Having both lived in the Yukon and NWT and cruised/delivered from Panama to Alaska, I see a big difference between the two lifestyles other than the independence both offer.
I've always felt very comfortable cruising unarmed... not so much living 24/7 in the north. Mind you, Whitehorse, YT is no longer the bush and hasn't been for some time. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 16:58   #141
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Whitehorse is a BIg city now, and the old riverboat I crawled around in as a kid is now a Museum. Forty years ago it was full of drunks, now you have to pay to see it.
It's even got paved roads. We went up to Dawson, then Inuvik and Tuktoyoktuk just to stick our big toes into the Artic Ocean. Ther you could see the Artic Ice cap, and it was above 80 air temp. Saw several Beluga whales as well
I think it was whitehorse where we had our fish strike, there are so many bald eagles there they are a hazard to navigation, we almost hit one, it dropped the fish it was carrying and it hit the windshield, lucky no damage, but I would have never thought i would have a fish strike.
Old 06-11-2013, 17:17   #142

During the oil boom, drove a piping truck in that country... also visited 'Tuk', even had a T-shirt that read 'Tuk U.', University of Tuktoyuktuk! Those were good ol' days! Phil
Old 06-11-2013, 17:28   #143
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I will say that the only rude people I met on the whole trip were the people that lived at Tuk, the oil workers were real nice, even met a telephone company employee that said he was out of there ASAP. I vapor locked my little Maule and thought we might have to stay, walked into town and the first building you come to is the Government housing office, I waited at the counter hoping someone might rent us a room for the night. When My existence was finally acknowledged, I asked the lady if she knew someone that possibly might have a room to rent for the night. She asked if that was my little airplane at the airport, when I said yes, she told me I need to get in my little airplane and leave.
Real friendly people
Old 06-11-2013, 18:19   #144

a64pilot... Considering that they had to put up with a bunch of drunken redneck oil workers for years, I understand why they are a little inhospitable! Natives never took much to us white fella's. Didn't spend much time in Alaska but worked in the bush on mining exploration, hauling pipe to United Keno Hill Mines in Elsa, YT when we used an ice road between freeze up and break up. Would rather have been sailing than driving a Kenworth in 40 below weather! Those little Maule's were sturdy aircraft but spent more time in Beavers' than anything else... cheers, Phil
Old 07-11-2013, 19:44   #145

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Here is what happened to a bush plane when a bear decided to check it out. Repairs were made with plastic film & duck tape & then flew out.

I also found some links that might be useful.
Using a Firearm for Wilderness Protection - Royal Canadian Mounted Police
EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE (tm) - Alaskan & Canadian Survival Kit Regulations survival equipment
Transporting Firearms - 1st Shot Firearms Training Winnipeg

Carrying weapons in Alaska appears to be easier than in Canada. THere are many sites devoted to bear protection for hikers, pilots & others in the bush. Research says that a 44 mag side arm is the minimum for a griz. A 12 ga with slugs is one of the best at stopping a bear. 00 buck is worthless ouside of 15 yards. 30-30 is too small & 306 is minimal.

I noticed that, in Canada, it is relatively easy to get permits for passengers & private citizens to carry/transp properly stored & secured long guns that are not of the prohibited class. Also, the commercial owner/operator of a plane for hire may carry any permitted weapons on board and accessable but not loaded under way. This is recognized as a potential need for animal protection in many remote areas.

The popular gun for pilots is the Alaskan Copilot. You can find Youtube videos of this compact high power rifle. Its not cheap and all are hand made/modified.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 19:49   #146

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

somehow the photos of the bush plane got dropped. here they area;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bear 1.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	70035   Click image for larger version